Sign in to follow this  
ben_wooduk

Low Profile Trolley Jack

Well after avoiding the hefty cost for a decent low profile trolley Jack for so long I finally gave up and thought I'd buy one!

I just got sick of driving onto blocks of wood etc.

Luckily for me lift master have now brought a new one out so I don't need to fork out £100.

I brought one for £30 and I'm well chuffed with it, really glad I didn't buy one a year ago now!

Just thought someone else might be interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250690340801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2286wt_732

Bargain :D

good find - hope it holds up well. I just bought the Halfords 2.5ton jack at half price (£40) over the bank holiday weekend. Yet to use it so cant really comment, but yours at £30 you could afford to get 2 just in case one failed!

lol, i've just been looking at those this week too! pleasant surprise that there are cheaper ones now. I thought i might go for the one up from that one which is around £45 but not sure how much difference there'll be apart from the extra bits

hasan, i would carefully check yours will go under the car asap and take it back if not! theres no point in having a convenient jack if you have to get the car on pieces of wood first to get it underneath! I just gave away a halfords one for that reason.. :(

Nice one, liking the Amazone one with the LEDs!

I bought the Clarke Alloy low entry one ages ago when they came out, I needed it's 70 odd mm entry height at the time :D Expensive though :(

To be honest I was horrified by the build quality of it, almost to the point of throwing it back through Machine Mart's window, but I perservered and touch wood, it's been great for over a year now! Basically, I had strip the thing down and loctite and retorque every single bolt :roll:

Don't be fooled by the "lightweight aluminium" bit, they are still heavy old things because the ally plate has to be so much thicker to match the strength of steel :lol:

Good to see some sensibly priced steel ones are now available for WHEN my Clarke one breaks!

Nice one, liking the Amazone one with the LEDs!

I bought the Clarke Alloy low entry one ages ago when they came out, I needed it's 70 odd mm entry height at the time :D Expensive though :(

To be honest I was horrified by the build quality of it, almost to the point of throwing it back through Machine Mart's window, but I perservered and touch wood, it's been great for over a year now! Basically, I had strip the thing down and loctite and retorque every single bolt :roll:

Don't be fooled by the "lightweight aluminium" bit, they are still heavy old things because the ally plate has to be so much thicker to match the strength of steel :lol:

Good to see some sensibly priced steel ones are now available for WHEN my Clarke one breaks!

I was there with you when you bought it, and yeah I remember it flexing a bit more than you'd want!!

These certainly look nice, I got given a basic one not so long back and my car's no longer too low so it does me, otherwise I'd have one of these in a shot!

Yeah flexing and bolts falling out of it :lol:

It's 'settled' now and doesn't bend anymore and the bolts no longer drop out. But I still don't really trust it 100%.

the lift platform has 6 battery powered LEDs in it ( :D ) and the handle doubles up as a wrench handle for 4 included sockets that are mounted on the side of the jack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... S2T450HFRX

Mmm, quite liking the LEDs idea, too late now though!

As said though, nice to see at least a couple of budget models :D

Yeah flexing and bolts falling out of it :lol:

It's 'settled' now and doesn't bend anymore and the bolts no longer drop out. But I still don't really trust it 100%.

Christ! I hope nothing falls out of mine :shock:

Funny people should mention this, i've been looking for a new jack seeing as my halfords one has been letting me down recently... i'll get my coat.

Anyway was looking at that clarke alu low profile thing just because of the name because i have no idea about quality of jacks, has anyone had any experience of the liftmaster make? any good, do they last etc etc?

Funny people should mention this, i've been looking for a new jack seeing as my halfords one has been letting me down recently... i'll get my coat.

Anyway was looking at that clarke alu low profile thing just because of the name because i have no idea about quality of jacks, has anyone had any experience of the liftmaster make? any good, do they last etc etc?

I certainly think mine looks up to the job and I was very impressed with it, having said that I have owned it for a week so can't really say how long it's going to last.

However lift master produce more expensive jacks at over £100 quid, which makes me feel better, or am I clutching at straws :lol:

I certainly think mine looks up to the job and I was very impressed with it, having said that I have owned it for a week so can't really say how long it's going to last.

However lift master produce more expensive jacks at over £100 quid, which makes me feel better, or am I clutching at straws :lol:

With the name LIFTMASTER, they've gotta be good :lol: