Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

-70mm drop on my VR6. Any dramas?!

Chaps,

My car has been put at -70mm by my new Weitec suspension kit, rear beam is Powerflex bushes, wishbones are the Golf R32/Audi TT bushes, new rear top mounts, newish front top mounts, newish wheel bearings all round and new 300mm Momo Team steering wheel.

So, what are any potential dramas with this? From November its my weekend car anyway.

I've heard of the brake bias not working as well, but not sure how much faith to put in this. Tyre wear? Top mounts dieing?

bias valve will be all the way open unless adjusted and yes wont work the same due to lack of travel but its not like your going to have a full car now right? iv set mine by adjusting the spring.

as for tyre wear, did you have the wheels properly aligned when the weitecs where fitted?

you should only get through top mounts if its a really hard ride.

only other problems i can think of are speed bumps and pot holes :gag:

as for tyre wear, did you have the wheels properly aligned when the weitecs where fitted?

Yeah, the same company is doing all four wheel alignment. I don't pick the car up till tomorrow.

Potential dramas.. ? Your missus will run off with the guy down the street who has a -80mm drop?

More seriously, the suspension just won't work as desgined. Will you notice the difference? Maybe not .. hopefully you'll have the camber adjusted so that it's right for the current setup and the current amount of suspension movement etc. You'll probably need a slightly smaller camber angle than defaults because the car won't lean so far on the suspension with such short travel. You'll be placing all the transmission joints under more stress because the drive shafts are constantly pulled up at an angle instead of straight out. Plus of course you'll drag the car's arse over every single speed ramp, pothole and surly-teenager-dropped mcflurry wrapper because there's no ground clearance any more. And you probably won't be able to get a jack under it to change a wheel when you have a flat .. ! :)

Anyway, bit late to worry about that now! ;)

Brake bias valve you MUST fix, or it'll be tail happy under braking like you wouldn't believe.

Brake bias valve you MUST fix, or it'll be tail happy under braking like you wouldn't believe.

Cheers dude, some good knowledge there. How do I 'fix' the brake bias valve? Take it to someone to adjust?

Cheers dude, some good knowledge there. How do I 'fix' the brake bias valve? Take it to someone to adjust?

There's a 13mm nut and bolt that needs slackening off and tightening so that the spring is just under tension when the wheels are on the ground.

This, my old valver was slammed and untill i sorted the bias valve was shit scarey under hard braking.

So there is no real definitive position for the nuts/bolts? A simple case of trial and error I suppose?

I've not slammed the brakes on since getting the suspension done, 2 days ago, I guess I'll just take it easy.

Set it so that you can move the valve up and down easily when it's on the ground, which is usually in the middle of the elongated slot. You'll see what I mean when you're under there.

You'll get a lot of bump steer at -70. It's bad enough at -30 and -40.