Sign in to follow this  
Fingers

Stall when cold

Help please.

Car has recently been resurrected. Sat for 4 years not used much – turned over take around the block. Last year it died completely – now think the battery was dead, not taking a trickle charge. Has passed MOT and back on the road, and now slow restoration can begin…….

Has had a new battery, plugs, & dizzy. This sorted the misfiring (probably just corroded connection somewhere). However when starting form cold in the morning will stall until warmed up, almost like automatic choke not kicking in.

Took it out for a spin at the weekend, got the engine up to temp and tried the reset of the ECU procedure. This hasn’t helped. What else should I be trying?

Thanks in advance.

Is there an ISV on these cars? Maybe clean that out or try search on here for it as Im sure when you disconnect it the revs should drop.

The ISV is certainly the main culprit, mine was rough as old boots from cold when I got it but I gave the ISV a clean out and it was fine after that. You can't open them up completely I don't think so just go nuts with carb cleaner or WD40 to get all the carbon deposits out.

OK consulted the Bentley manual, and it is a bit vauge for a 2.0l 16V....

I wil try and tackle this at the weekend, but a couple of questions first.

formsome of the pictures I am guessing it is here:-

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfengine bay ISV location.jpg[/attachment:2j0r9b87]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfISV.jpg[/attachment:2j0r9b87]

ISV position circled.jpg[/attachment:2j0r9b87]

Is there anything to watch out for when removing it?

Should the rubber hoses just pull off?

When cleaning it out with cleaning fluid, does it matter if the coil gets wet, or is it fairly well sealed?

thats the badger, simple to remove, nothing to worry about. spray the hell out of it with wd to remove all carbon deposits.

Yup, as above. Just pull the hoses off. Carefully check it opens smoothly with a flathead screwdriver (in the side hole). Once it's cleaned with carb cleaner, spray in a little 3 in 1 or similar PTFE lube.

lube is VERY important as once you've cleaned it up the two metal srfaces are dry with high friction, so you 'could' end up with an even worse situation than before. Just to clarify the opening - when you look into the side inlet there will be a slight gap. Do NOT try and force te flap open from there! It actually moves the other way - i find that using a dry cotton bud pressed down on teh flap gives enough friction to openit. Better still, connect it to a 12V supply and pulse it open. You'll feel it buzz like a gyro is in your hand. Lube the flap and you should be ok. Do let us know how you get on.

I'm sure i have one(or maybe two) of these out in the garage........seeing your in Glasgow too, let me know if you want one to try out :D

OK, removal was fine, easier than it looked. The worst bit was a rusty jubelee clip on one of the hoses!

I sprayed it with WD40, lots of it. Shook it about, tried to see if the flaps would open with a screwdriver, and a cotton bud, but coudn't get them to. Didn't want to damage it. So I put it back together, and fired it up.

Didn't seem to make a difference, but don't know if it will need to run a bit to free up, and the remaining WD40 to work in. The inner bit looked OK, the barrel around the faces looked a bit rusty.

Will borrow a multimeter from work and check whether the readings are right. Might be totally dead/seized. If that is the case I might be coming to get one off you easypops!

Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is a complete god-send.

Not sure what an ISV is, but maybe look at the MAF sensor? It was making my car stall when cold until I took it off and sprayed some electrical contact degreaser/cleaner inside it.

Running fine now, just a thought?

I sprayed it with WD40, lots of it. Shook it about,

When i cleaned mine out i covered one end with clingfilm and then filled it up with brake cleaner, left it overnight and flushed it in the morning, then got a thin screwdriver in there to make sure the springy thing moved then put a little 3in1 oil in to help the lubrication..........seemed to work :D

And your welcome to come over and see if my spare helps(just give me notice so i can find it) :lol:

OK measured the resistance and it was 7.6 ohms, should be between 2 and 10 according to the Bentley manual. I doesn't make a noise or vibrate though.

I cannot get the thing to 'open' with a screwdriver. I few pics of the offending item:-

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfisv.jpg[/attachment:3dhqyllg]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdffront.jpg[/attachment:3dhqyllg]

side port.jpg[/attachment:3dhqyllg]

Is this what you would expect to see?

I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and try putting 12V across it to see if it moves. Otherwise looks like I need another one.

Tried putting 12V across it, and it didn't move.

Up'd the voltage to 17 just to see if it would welly it, and nothing.

Looks like it is dead :(

Easypops, start diggin!

Anyone else got an ISV going?

Tried putting 12V across it, and it didn't move.

Up'd the voltage to 17 just to see if it would welly it, and nothing.

Looks like it is dead :(

Easypops, start diggin!

Anyone else got an ISV going?

I've deffo got one.....i''ll look it out tonight and I'll PM you my phone number once i've located it.........pretty sure i know where it is.......as said before there might even be two :lol:

Ok had a wee rummage......and i have 2 , one might be off a VR6, but one off a 2.016v.......pretty sure both kinds are interchangeable :D

PM coming your way