KIPVW

Nugget almost done! Well top bit anyway :)

Simply awesome! Like Vaughan says, looks at least as clean as the VR. Any engine bay/interior pics?

I'll get some good bay shots today then Lol!

Quick question too Andy, when i blip the throttle hard when i'm under the bonnet theres a little squeek as if it's a spring opening that needs lubing on the throttle body, is this something you can remember happening to yours? it isn't a worry as it seems to run perfectly (imortal words)

When i open the throttle gently though it doesn't do it, I'm thinking it's a flap inside the body opening due to more fuel being pushed through as if i'm about to overtake something? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 9:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:00 AM ----------

Vaughan, you are correct it is a dirt Magnet lol! especially the inner wings in the engine bay, I think it'll be a close call between the two cars but i know the Nugget will look cleaner because it's so damn bright.

Not sure mate- get someone to press the accelerator pedal with the engine off- you should find it pretty quickly.

The car looks truly stunning and testament to your commitment, love it. Looks so fresh and original

Cheers Gareth, something to smile about for me at last to be honest, it's been a long time to get here with it.

Well after a frantic few days getting the Nugget road worthy at the end of last week before we had a house full for Elsecar Show I gave it a little wash just as Chris, Eric, Jim & Lucaz turned up and all was good but then when I revesed into the garage it had decided to test me by spitting a load of oil out from the pressure switch :lol: Swine.

So picked up a switch from Euro C Parts and all was well again. Been a long time stood so wasn't sure how it'd go to be honest but I needn't have worried.

The Emissions test showed rediculous lows too, CO Limits are 3.50 Nugget was 0.58. HC Limits are 1200 And that was 77 :lol: it's blowing fresh air man he said :)

All this bollocks about old cars, Eh???

No advisories too so to say i'm pleased is an understatement.

Kip :)

great news Kip, after all that grief!

with the emissions, the CO should be a little higher than that, it'll run much happier nearer 2%, perhaps get them to tweak that up a bit next time you have it in the garage although it only really affects idle, keep an eye on the plugs and make sure it doesn't run too hot, seems very lean for a k-jet, I've had my CO that low but it goes better with it higher :)

It does smell a bit David, could that be why? bearing in mind the lack of use it's had i'm guessing a few weeks driving wont go amiss now either.

You mean water temp? been checking all the guages avidly worried sick all the time i'm driving it :/

Great news kip, now when you take it out for a blast can you tell me what sort of oil temps your getting around town and on a run, still havent sorted out a rad for mine yet.

Well i'm having a right bloody good day :)

When the rear panel was replaced i was desperate to save the boot sticker to the extent that once the rear panel was taken off the car I asked them to cut round it so ast not to damage it trying to peel it off lol!

Anyway now all is getting good with the car the problem came to try and find how to replicate the sticker, i tried scanning but it wan't brilliant and I tried scanning it onto adhesive sticker type paper too and again was ok but a little blurry due to still being stuck to the metal it doesn't fit in Judes scanner very well :lol:

Was starting to get annoyed so thought i'd try putting some steam onto the other side of the metal ie not the paper sticker side (you following?) so after about 30 seconds the glue started to soften , you should have seen my face :lol:

Anyway it came off easy then so I ran into the garage and put it back where it belongs :)

I know it's not really interesting but to me it's quite important to keep the original sticker as it was when it left Karmann 20 odd years ago.

Edited by KIPVW

Great news kip, now when you take it out for a blast can you tell me what sort of oil temps your getting around town and on a run, still havent sorted out a rad for mine yet.

I was watching it today Rich, was around 95 to 102 every time i checked. i'll keep a constant eye on it for you though when i drive it.

---------- Post added at 8:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:19 PM ----------

expect at least £1800 for whiplash,get to your doctor

Anne, thanks! the accident was in October 2010 though :) I got £3300. :) and the car repair came to £3850 :lol: I am happy with the results to say the least as the car is now better than it was before but it was a long hard slog to get it here.

So pleased it passed Kip. Can't wait to see this at some shows again after it was so cruelly taken out of commission! As David says though worth getting those emissions figures looked at... you wouldn't want to cause damage to the engine now after all this work!

The Emissions test showed rediculous lows too, CO Limits are 3.50 Nugget was 0.58. HC Limits are 1200 And that was 77 :lol: it's blowing fresh air man he said :)

All this bollocks about old cars, Eh???

You sure you've not converted it to LPG? :)

Jm, if the emissions are that low could it cause damage then? not very familiar with the KR after 15 years since my last one. :/

I'm not sure to be honest - I was just on what David said, but reading back he doesn't suggest it could cause any real damage. If the emissions are that low does it mean it's possibly running lean? Or am I just talking nonsense..

No i think you are right mate as it does smell a bit not right once its fired up but then seems ok once fully warmed up. i'll get it tuned once the exhaust is sorted. :)

Give it a few good runs and then take a look at the plugs kip, that will tell you all you need to know. They should just start to build small amounts of light brown deposits, if all is fine then no worries, I'd rather have a few sooty deposits starting as that means richer and so cooler combustion, plus if you rev the 16v properly they tend to run lean at the top end anyway.