Sign in to follow this  
i que

cuts out randomly ,restarts no probs

Just bought this 2 months ago here commence the saga.The car randomly cuts out at junctions, roundabouts sumtimes at v low revs you could honestly drive all day-days and nothing would happen,then just when u aint expecting it shuts down-nothing works crank the key and away it goes :scratch:any help would be great cheers folks. by the way its a 94 vr coilpack model

I had a similar thing with a mk3 golf gti, would randomly cut out, turn the key and it wouldnt start wait a bit then it would fire straight back up. It turned out to be the ecu control relay. Got one from vw for about a tenner.

yes sounds about right, try flicking the relays with your finger when your sat in the car in neutral, it will normally stutter or cut out.

I had a similar thing with a mk3 golf gti, would randomly cut out, turn the key and it wouldnt start wait a bit then it would fire straight back up. It turned out to be the ecu control relay. Got one from vw for about a tenner.

honestly mate you dont need to wait clutch down turn key away she goes.strange to say the least quite dangerous 2.

does it have an air flow meter on it? (not a vr man) used to do the same on one of my seat's. when you let off the revs it just dies, instead of holding at idle, but will start instanlty.

it cost me about £8 for a new one i think.

does it have an air flow meter on it? (not a vr man) used to do the same on one of my seat's. when you let off the revs it just dies, instead of holding at idle, but will start instanlty.

it cost me about £8 for a new one i think.

yup it has. need 2 get it on vag-com.

if they are still cheap its worth replacing anyway, they seem to break quite often.

Do the revs drop occasionally when you dip the clutch at junctions etc? Almost cuts out but recovers, but other times cuts out? Mine seems to cut out randomly. It hasnt done it for a while, but the revs do dip occassionally when i engage the clutch?

Which is the ecu relay?

Will also be following this as same was happening to mine until this morning when it threw its toys out the pram and started severely misfiring, stinking of fuel and the whole car shaking with the vibration of the engine, running on at least one cylinder down....

I was lucky when it just cut out sometimes it would seem haha

Do the revs drop occasionally when you dip the clutch at junctions etc? Almost cuts out but recovers, but other times cuts out? Mine seems to cut out randomly. It hasnt done it for a while, but the revs do dip occassionally when i engage the clutch?

Which is the ecu relay?

Mine does the same occassionally and its getting more regular ....... very weird :confused4:

Which is the ecu relay?

Mine does the same occassionally and its getting more regular ....... very weird :confused4:[/quote:uz1nfm4j]

It is mate, and dangerous. It stalled on a roundabout once for me whilst cars where coming round. I had to quickly start it up again :?

Which is the ECU relay? think im going to change it.

Which is the ecu relay?

Mine does the same occassionally and its getting more regular ....... very weird :confused4:[/quote:nva954w4]

It is mate, and dangerous. It stalled on a roundabout once for me whilst cars where coming round. I had to quickly start it up again :?

Which is the ECU relay? think im going to change it.[/quote:nva954w4]

Need 2 get it sorted folks has potential 2 b serious dont fancy gettin a sore one up the rear :lol: got me :brickwall:could be a number of things by the sounds of it.cheers

So have you changed the ECU relay as advised?? I would do this along with the fuel pump relay and the ignition switch then look at the ISV if the problem persists.

So have you changed the ECU relay as advised?? I would do this along with the fuel pump relay and the ignition switch then look at the ISV if the problem persists.

Get round to it next week takin it off the road for now the weathers pants anyway..got sum other things 2 do to it also ,the list is building windscreen,lupo wipers,upgrade the brakes,bit of paint,first get it runnin good thats the most important cant hav it cuttin out all the time.the joys

just a quick one, dont mean to hijack does anyone have the part numbers for the ecu relay and fuel pump relay for a 1995 vr6, cheers in advance

just a quick one, dont mean to hijack does anyone have the part numbers for the ecu relay and fuel pump relay for a 1995 vr6, cheers in advance

just ask in VW for them, they're numbers 109 and 167 (or 67) respectively. about £12 each

Yeah common relays so will probably have them on the shelf...

will i hav to go thru the elimination procedure or will vag-com tell me straight up.

Probably not, if its the ISV or a relay it definately will not.

Thanx for the help mate, will get on it asap