k6kny

Kennys Black 16v

Been on the lookout for a Corrado project car for a while now and had seen one advertised on here that I liked the look of, so while I was down at E38 I went to have a look at it, and after a look at it and taking a test drive I put down a deposit on a Black 1993 2.0L 16v rado, and arranged to pick it up in a few weeks time. Anyway ended up arranging to pick it up at the start of October, so it was an early start to get down to Redditch to pick it up and 303, almost trouble free, miles later it was home in Glasgow :D

The car itself has 165k miles and a decent service history, the body work is in good condition with only a couple of small spots of rust that can easily be sorted, paintwork is ropey in some areas but nothing that can't be fixed, also don't think it's seen any polish in a long time :( . The active rear spoiler works automatically and with the button on the dash. It has been lowered 40mm all round on springs, but they will be changed for coilovers. The only other mod that has been done is the sunroof has been changed for a Passat glass roof. The interior is absolutely filthy and looks like it hasn't been cleaned in 10 years so it is going to be a seats out and carpets out job to clean it all up .

Anyway here's a few pics taken once I got back up the road.

DSC02833.jpg

DSC02834.jpg

Not a fan of the all black rear clusters so they will be getting changed.

DSC02835.jpg

The pics don't really show how bad it is in there :

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

I had this sticker lying around and thought it was quite appropriate :lol:

DSC02839.jpg

Will have more updates soon.

looks good in the black, i noticed your door pins that the door catch latches onto, looks like the plastic is not in the best condition i changer mine recently what a difference on the door shutting! :D well worth the thew quid

Yeah the pins are in pretty poor condition. Good to know that changing them makes a difference.....................another thing to add to the growing list of parts to replace :lol:

Some updates on what I've been doing since I got the car.

I was left a few spare fuses and resistors :lol:

DSC02840.jpg

The carpets in the boot were very badly stained, but on the plus side the Halfords bags contained a few cans of spray paint and more fuses :?

DSC02842.jpg

Under the carpet I found the remains of an Ice install. When I ripped out all the wiring I found that all the wires had just been cut at the head unit end and the remainder of the wiring running the length of the car had just been left.

DSC02843.jpg

Is it just me or is this a very strange sticker to put on your car?

DSC02844.jpg

I had an old set of Speedline Mistrals that have been sitting in the Garage for years, so I put them on. They're in need of a refurb but it's an improvement on the old wheels and they'll do for now.

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

As I already said the interior was filthy so it was a full strip out for cleaning :eek:

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

Carpets were brought inside to get cleaned with the Rug Doctor

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02864.jpg

And this was the colour of the water that came out of the carpets :shock:

DSC02866.jpg

More to follow :)

welcome to the club :) looks like a solid if a little dirty base to work from, bit like mine!

liking the preparation sticker :lol:

If you fancy swapping your rear lights, ive got some red/clear rears?

How much you looking for them?

Looks nice bud! Good to see u getting stuck into it :)

I might be interested in taking the lights off u, if u decided to sell :norty:

Nice to see one getting some TLC. Looking forward to seeing how the carpets came up after you got all that filth out!!

After trying to get the grey carpets to clean up any better using various shampoo's and upholstery cleaners I decided that, despite the massive improvement, I just wasn't going to be happy putting them back into the Corrado :( . So a new set of carpets was needed and I decided if I was changing them I wanted black ones. Luckily ebay turned up a decent set which arrived last week :). After having a good look over them all that was needed was a quick hoover and a bit of upholstery cleaner on a couple of areas and now they're in pretty much perfect condition :D

IMAG0011.jpg

Today at long last I had a day off with a few hours of dry weather so I was able to get the interior back in the rado.

First the new black carpets went in.

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

Then the lower dash and centre console. I also put a leather gaitor on the handbrake as the original plastic one was missing from the car.

IMAG0014.jpg

Next was the new rear bench with centre armrest 8)

IMAG0015.jpg

Lastly the front seats.

IMAG0016.jpg

Also sorted my faulty rear heated window switch today.

IMAG0020.jpg

It hasn't worked since I got the car and I assumed it was the switch mechanism that was faulty, however when I took the old switch out to put in the new one I found that all the internals were missing :confused4:

IMAG0022.jpg

So no wonder it never worked. Anyway the new switch went in and hey presto my rear window now demists :D

Strange question for you mate, but what are you doing with the old hollow switch? I am missing a blanking piece and could make use of the switch if your going to bin it :)

Strange question for you mate, but what are you doing with the old hollow switch? I am missing a blanking piece and could make use of the switch if your going to bin it :)

It's yours if you want it, PM me your details and i'll post it to you :)

Under the carpet I found the remains of an Ice install. When I ripped out all the wiring I found that all the wires had just been cut at the head unit end and the remainder of the wiring running the length of the car had just been left.

Welcome to Corrado ownership.

If anyone finds a C with a full, unbutchered loom then I will buy them a country.

Well it's one step forward and two steps back with the Corrado just now. I've been having problems with the battery in the car since I got it, long story short, it was knackered :( so bought a new Bosch S3 and put it in today, problem solved :)

IMAG0027.jpg

I've also removed my rear wiper. Really cleans up the rear and it's a nice simple mod too.

IMAG0025.jpg

I also have the common fault of my fan heaters only working on number 4, so having checked the contacts on the dials and finding them ok the next thing to replace was the thermal fuse. I soldered in the new fuse, re-installed the fan unit, started the car and found that I had the fans working on 1, 2, 3 and 4 . Only problem is the fan unit itself is making a screeching noise which, I've heard, means the bushes are worn so it looks like I now need a new fan unit . To make matters worse as the engine came up to temperature there was a loud pop and alot of steam from under the bonnet. Opened it up and found this:

IMAG0026.jpg

New radiator required me thinks :(

Ah the joys of owning an old VW, is it wrong that I'm loving it? :norty:

Thought I'd do a quick update, not made very much progress in the last 7 or 8 weeks, but here's what i have managed:

Got rid of the all black rear lights, first stripped all the tint off of them and sanded them ready for spraying:

IMAG0028.jpg

Then applied the red tint:

IMAG0030.jpg

Back on the car:

IMAG0035.jpg

Finally got round to putting on the de-badged grill that I got at Christmas :lol:

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

And a quick one of how it's looked for the last 6 weeks:

IMAG0040.jpg

how did you go about the rear de wipering mod, looks so much neater and those rear lights look so much better! good to see progress being made!!

After a year of sitting in my garage with nothing much happening, work has finally started again on the Corrado with the coilovers, I picked up at Edition last year, getting fitted.

IMAG1066.jpg

IMAG1078.jpg

IMAG1077.jpg

IMAG1076.jpg

IMAG1075.jpg

Not adjusted them yet, leaving that until I've got the new wheels fitted then I'll get it dropped properly 8)

Couple more things done this week:

First off fitted a set of Lupo GTi aero wipers

IMAG1120-1.jpg

IMAG1119.jpg

Next I replaced the gear shifter mechanism with a short shifter one that I bought from daves16v on here

IMAG1122.jpg

Old and new shifters (new one on the left). If you look closely at the old one the bush at the bottom is pretty mangled which explains why I was having so much trouble selecting first and second gears

IMAG1123.jpg

What a difference with it installed, feels like changing gear in a modern car now. I really can't recommend this kit highly enough, and the detailed instructions make fitting it very easy.