Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

v6 4mo or an s3?

Not quite a normal Mk4 there. A 5dr turboed 4mo with 17in Santa Monica's running a towbar would be an ace sleeper.

Someone pass me a turbo please. I already have the 5 door with Santa Monica's. I don't have a towbar but I do have child seats in the back if that counts :)

Not quite a normal Mk4 there. A 5dr turboed 4mo with 17in Santa Monica's running a towbar would be an ace sleeper.

Yes I know, that's my point, I don't want a 'normal' MK4 because they look dull. Sorry, but they do :D

I feel the MK4 has aged very well actually.. a nice clean one in black, lowered a smidge on Santa Monicas looks lovely and understated, and wouldn't look out place compared to modern new cars despite the design now being 13 years old!!

Yes I know, that's my point, I don't want a 'normal' MK4 because they look dull. Sorry, but they do :D

100% with you Kev, the standard MK4 is a dull looking car. If I was going to replace the Corrado I'd be looking at a 3.2 Audi A3, same engine as the mk5 R32 and you can pick up a low mileage one for around £7k at the moment. Bit of a lowering, some new wheels and I think they look pretty good.

100% with you Kev, the standard MK4 is a dull looking car. If I was going to replace the Corrado I'd be looking at a 3.2 Audi A3, same engine as the mk5 R32 and you can pick up a low mileage one for around £7k at the moment. Bit of a lowering, some new wheels and I think they look pretty good.

And I hate to say it, they drive dull as well! I've driven a few MK4 GTIs, a TDI 130 and a standad 4Motion Bora. Completely dead steering and just a generally bland driving experience full stop. Oh and I borrowed a MK4 8V GTI for a while, which was probably the slowest, roughest, soggiest peice of crap I've ever driven. Even my old Cavalier 2.0 8V drove better than that :lol:

Obviously the standard car isn't what I'm after, but rather that bomb proof 4WD platform. Thing is though, even with top quality suspension and stuff on a MK4, can you actually improve the car's steering feel? Compared to a Corrado's steering, it's like driving with gloves on.

The MK5 is a far, far better platform imo. Maybe I should just skip the 4 and go to the 5?

Im having the same thoughts i.e. get a Mk5 R in a year or so.

Mk5 R32 REALLY appeals to me, but there are so many other tasty metals in the £10-15K bracket such as E39 M5 etc....

Fortunately I don't have that kind of money so 'spoilt with choices' won't keep me awake at night! :lol:

The MK5's electric steering has a really meaty self centering weight and just off centre feedback feels spot on.

I could quite happily own a MK5 R :D It would have to be the DSG though. That + launch control = epic launches a VRT can only dream about!

I have a friend with a supercharged 4Motion. It's one of the best sleepers I can think of, and it does 165mph.

But to the original point I'm not sure if you can compare a 4Motion with an S3 from the same period. They are such different cars in so many ways. Just because they both have Haldex doesn't mean they are similar at all. But my money would be on the Golf in terms of market cost, plus I like understated cars and the 4Motion is definately that.

Starting to put together a for sale thread for the vr6 c now :(

Going to test drive a few 4 motions this week so i can see how the two compare! I ve never owned anything but fwd so interested to see how this feels, especially on the roads round here at the moment! The corrado has been banished to the garage as im worried its going to end up in a ditch...

Spent all day looking at 4motions and s3's (and a few s4's!) Im now leaning towards s3 as it has 4wd and the 1.8t is very tuneable. The bi turbo v6 s4 seems very appealing performance wise but i think the shape looks dated compared to the s3 or similar age. I think the mk4 might be a bit plain looking for my liking...

ok been looking at what new car i'm going to get, mk4 4motion with turbo is still on the cards but yesterday i went out in a mk1 TT 2004 65K black with red leather, best bit was the JBS GT2871 conversion, 380bhp/415lb on a safe map the thing was awesome, the guy who is selling had it mapped slightly more aggressive and it pushed out 460bhp/440lb :shock:

but afterwards i got back in my lazy v8 and still prefer my BM :cuckoo:

The problem with the high power 1.8T's is that they still have all the power low down. Having owned a few of them and with the VRT experience I much prefer the progressive way the larger engined turbo cars have. Still think a Mk5 R32 with turbo would be amazing. I really only went for the Mk4 4mo option as I love the Qcar thing.

I just test drove an s3 and wasn't exactly blown away. Part of the reason being the dealer took be on a rubbish test route and I coudnt give it the beans. Being a young person viewing a car like this you tend not to get taken seriously... Got back in the vr and it immediatley put a smile back on my face!

Keep the VR, yours looks like a good example. I've been thinking of something else recently but went for a drive at lunch and although its not running quite right it still put a smile on my face.

Why do you want a change?

I fancy something newer and i like the tunability of the 20vt's. The 4 wheel drive appealed to me but after further reading i think haldex offers little in the way of a proper 4wd system. If i get the chance to drive an s3 in anger i might warm to it a little but pootling around under 30mph was an utterly pointless test drive. I think i'll struggle to find a sound track that compares to the vr...

As standard neither car will feel that great to be honest. Both need suspension / geometry sorting and a little more power. Point to point the S3 will probably be quicker as standard I would think.

I've been checking out the Mk4 4motion, seems to be well respected, with only a few down sides like low MPG and the pretty dull appearance. I've read of some getting 35+MPG on longer journeys and as low as 20 or so in town. What's the experience of any owners on this forum? Is it comparable to a VR6 in terms of MPG return? My drive to work is 21 miles of good country roads with 55-60 MPH constant driving, no stopping for traffic or lights etc. Anyone?

MPG isnt as good as VR, but there is very little difference. 25-26mpg is what I used to average on a varied roads. 31-32mpg is the maximum Ive ever seen on the ones Ive had. S3 was very similar. My Mk5 Gti is avergaing 29mpg on the same routes so only 4-5mpg better. If your doing 15kmiles a year then it might make a difference but not much. Youve have to go to a diseasel to notice a big difference in your pocket.

MPG isnt as good as VR, but there is very little difference. 25-26mpg is what I used to average on a varied roads. 31-32mpg is the maximum Ive ever seen on the ones Ive had. S3 was very similar. My Mk5 Gti is avergaing 29mpg on the same routes so only 4-5mpg better. If your doing 15kmiles a year then it might make a difference but not much. Youve have to go to a diseasel to notice a big difference in your pocket.

:lol:

Thanks, coullstar. I'll probably do 10k tops next year so it might be do-able. I want to get a Corrado first and foremost but there aren't many good examples around at the moment for the money. I've looked at Boras, Leons and Oktavia vRS's but I think I'd be more content driving the 4motion day in day out. Cheers.

I find the mpg similar, mine can do the best part of 40 on a long run (i mean 400 mile run) so long as you dont get carried away. Today i took it out on 15 mile blast and it was spirited and that was down to mid 20s... Ive found a massive improvement using shell v power...

I find the mpg similar, mine can do the best part of 40 on a long run (i mean 400 mile run) so long as you dont get carried away. Today i took it out on 15 mile blast and it was spirited and that was down to mid 20s... Ive found a massive improvement using shell v power...

How much does it cost for a tank of 'normal' fuel, Goldie? How many miles do you get from relaxed driving (ie. not caneing it, :lol: ) from that tank? Thanks.

I think it costs about 70 quid to fill, obviously plus or minus a couple either way depending on fuel quality.

Miles, ive never taken in to empty but id guess 400ish motorway driving, not doodling but no land speed record attempts...