Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

Reverse glow LCD kit from Awesome

Hi All...Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What! :censored:

No matter what I do the display glows red and so do the numbers? What happened to the black background.

I have looked, searched and read loads of info and been through LCD link

and also read Grade A's write up...

This post on fortitude with no responces is exactly my problem..

Fortitude

So frustrated that I broke a chunk of the stepped edge of the small LCD :bad-words: :censored: :epicfail: Spare set of clocks from the loft come in to play.

So what am I doing wrong aside from snapping glass

Indeed I have and it was no better.. Its a nightmare really. Much investigation is needed before doing this. The more you read the more it may not be woth doing. You only get the affect you want at night with the headlamps on. Otherwise its electrics time and new bulbs and holders. Still have no idea whay I can't get the black bacground and red display.

the filter can give different effects depending how it sits infront of the display, you can turn it around to give slightly lighter er lights :lol: mine is red and black like that in the link but it'll never be a perfect black as the filter is not opaque. Did you prise the existing filter off of the LCD or did you try and use a different filter from somewhere else?

Originally when I did mine, before I bought the red film to put over the LCD's, I just bought new red bulbs for the them. This worked quite well and the background was dark. However when I did get the film I decided to put 2 on each LCD :lol: and now I think I have the same effect as u have, it's not that bad and I can see the numbers, just the background is a lighter shade of red. When and if I can be arsed, I'll take the red filters out

I'll tell you what looks better than the red...

Leave the original green :tongue: filter in and use a new or turn over the existing polarizing panel..You get an effect that is identical to my Alpine stereo.. Green background and Black numbers.

A cassette deck :eek: I might add.. Does have external for the old POD in.. The green does look cool. Worth a thought.. Just need to resolve the background issues with the red and then make up my mind.

There is defiantly only 1 way to use the polarizing filter... If you buy the kit from Awesome or DDI before you peel the film from it just place it on the LCD the correct way will show up blacker than the other.. Then peel and stick.

Its worth looking at LCD daylight To see the required effort to get these panels to light up in the day time.

Above link as in my first post. Scroll to bottom where the 1 watt bulbs are wired in for non headlamp circuit illumination.

Sorry, a little off topic I know..... but I love the rev counter in the centre idea from the original thread. Anyone know how to swap them over?

Might have to get myself a spare set of clocks and give it a try.

Good luck with the polarised flip. I heard it was a bit of a pain so all I did on mine was change the plastic filter on the LCD from green to red with a bit of acetate.

I did toy with that idea.. Its not to hard. You need to dismantle the clocks and then pull the motor mounts.. I think you solder three large pins and then that's it.. Obviously you need to make new gauge skins and so on..

I don't think it looks to clever in the final run.. Just looks wrong when looking at the dash.

I made my own skins and have a yellow rev counter and had em printed on light tight vinyl and then mat laminated.. The benefits of being a graphic designer and throwing the artwork on to the back of an exhibition panel job :clap:

I'll post some shots when I get it all back together :eek: Car has been off the Rd for 2 years but has just had a full respray and is looking good. Will be sweet for Spring.

I made my own skins and have a yellow rev counter and had em printed on light tight vinyl and then mat laminated.. The benefits of being a graphic designer and throwing the artwork on to the back of an exhibition panel job :clap:

I'll post some shots when I get it all back together :eek: Car has been off the Rd for 2 years but has just had a full respray and is looking good. Will be sweet for Spring.

post up some shots - i'd like some new skins for mine, but havent got round to doing them as yet - i've done a version of 'Andis white dials' in black but on paper its almost impossible to cut the slots for the digital displays. Clear acetate would be much better and neater and avoid the need to cut.

I shall post some shots..

Getting them printed on vinyl and then mat lammed.. The printers then use a cut guide I set up and put the finished item through the knifing machine...Does all the cutting for me. :clap:

The black is not as black as I would have liked but the colours and font typeface are based on the VDO Porsche 944 yellow gauges that I have in the car.. Plus a Volvo boost gauge that has been re-skinned to match the Porsche gauges. Dash clocks have yellow needles and the yellow rev has a red needle. The car is a yellow G60 so its all for a reason.

Did all the work in Illustrator.. Took a moon to get it all accurate.. Much clock dismantle and scanning and fitting and re-working..

I'll get some shots tonight.

i re did my dial faces ages ago, did the modifying in illustrator, like you said takes ages to scan and alter it to get it to be accurate but luckily i had a spare set to use. I printed it onto photo paper to get a nice matte effect, cutting it out wasn't too bad as i made a template in card from the dials and used it to cut around.

This is what mine look like, or at least this is the print out:

Gauges2.jpg[/attachment:30o891kd]

Out of curiousity why have you got 2 different accounts?

Here you go.. This is a cut down of the final print template.. You can see the knifing guide in magenta..

I wanted to keep the VDO look of the yellow Porsche gauges but also play with the look of the dash as a whole.

What illumination set up have you got on the dials? I'd changed mine and put blue LEDs to go with the rest of the colour in the car but it doesnt shine very well on the rest of the colours, in fact the blue isnt really bright enough. Are you still running the stock green illumination or something else? UV would work really well with the print out if i left the colours white...

I'm using stock bulbs but I covered over the blue tint strip as it didn't work to well with the yellow at night.. I just used some white vinyl to cover over the blue.

The VDO gauges are also using the blue tint but I have split the gauges to remove this blue sheet and just have white lights behind the gauges.

I'm in to keeping the look of it all stock with what you might call sympathetic mods.

yeah i feel the same, its only been altered slightly to improve the look, ill upload a picture of a night shot, i might have to change my light set up though as its getting difficult to read them! haha

sorry bud if you have turned the polerising filter over it would work ....

sorry to say you have definatly not done this . :(

have you taken a stanly blade to the lcd screen?

white bulb?

red filter?

reverse the polar filter and you will get red numbers black back ground .

if you need a link check here....

http://www.bitswap.com/smf/index.php?topic=5638.0

Cheers for the link sir..

I'll take some shots of all the ways I have fitted the p filter.. As a matter of something or other. The DDI kit comes with 2 sheets of redness.. Did you use 1 or 2 I ask as the instructions say for a deeper red use both.. I wondered if this affected the background?

And yes its only after you do some searching that you find you didn't really need to buy a kit. As you say stanley teh P filter of and Bobs your uncle.. Where did I put that red vinyl???

Muchos