Sign in to follow this  
StormchargedVR6

R32 to go

Totally uninspired by it. £40,000 for petes sake!!

You can buy a year or two old, low mileage M3 for that! And I doubt somehow it'll compare in many of the important areas.

I know I always bang on about year or two old M3's whenever talk of new cars like this come up, but I just think Audi are losing their mind. In my mind the RS4's and the RS6's are losing so much badge prestige when Audi make cars like this. I don't entirely think those figures are anything to get THAT excited about personally. You could get similar power out of an S3 for the price of a remap and some light fettling?

They've finally turned the RS badge into a marketing exercise proper. I dont think 335BHP in an A3 is really doing the spirit of the RS models true justice. I know I'd probably feel quite different if I actually drove one, but on the surface this is how I feel about it!

Better value than the TT RS but thats not saying much. I'm currently working with 17 BMW sites and I have it on very good authority that you can currently buy pre-registered but zero mileage M3's for the same money - really is no contest

I half expect the RS3 will be bought by the kind of pretentious dumkopf who thinks £40k is price worth paying for a car which will be substantially slower than a whole range of cars which are easily £10k less new.

And when they finally take delivery, expect the owners of proper RS Audis to start picking on them on the road, to show them what a proper RS2/4/6 goes like.

You can buy a S3 right now, chip it to at least the same power, and have £10k left over. I just don't comprehend this car.

At least we'll be able to identify the "total cocks" in society again. They'll be easily spotted driving these.

I like the sound of it and I love the look of it - understated Audi at its best.

The price is tad ridculous but lets be honest Audi arent the only ones exploiting the 'badge' - BMW M3 GTS anyone !!

I really dont understand the need to compare prices of new and used cars though, of course you are always going to find more bang for your buck with a used car but I find it largely irelevant to be honest.

The old S3 motor were going bang with to much boost, friend of mine had one? New TFSI S3 are a good motor, would have though

the 5 cylinder motor starting with 335bhp were built for 400bhp easy.

Each to there own, i like it 8) would'nt pay £40k for it, think will just put Turbo on the R :lol:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfcar_photo_407122_25.jpg[/attachment:d3b5gpum]

car_photo_407125_25.jpg[/attachment:d3b5gpum]

The RS3 uses a sophisticated launch-control system to race from 0-62mph in an incredible 4.6 seconds – making it just as fast as Audi’s V8-engined R8 supercar – and on to an electronically limited top speed of 155mph. The characterful engine – which harks back to the original 1984 Quattro coupé – should sound as good as it runs. As with the TT RS, the RS3 gets a Sport button; this not only sharpens throttle response further, but opens a flap in the exhaust to intensify the engine’s trademark offbeat note.

However, the RS3 is not just about straight-line speed. It has an extra-long seventh gear for relaxed motorway cruising, an oil pump that works only when required and brake energy recovery, allowing it to return 31mpg combined – impressive for such a powerful machine.

It should be very good at cornering, too. Audi’s expert ride and handling engineers have spent many months fine-tuning the super hatch at the challenging Nürburgring circuit in Germany. They have widened the tracks in order to increase stability, while the front MacPherson strut and multi-link rear suspension set-ups have been strengthened and given lowering springs to drop the ride height by 25mm. 8)

an oil pump that works only when required

Which is surely the whole time the engine is running? Sounds to me like engineering for the sake of it instead of tackling a known problem!

and brake energy recovery, allowing it to return 31mpg combined – impressive for such a powerful machine.

Bullschitt. A 1600kg 335hp car will never return that in the REAL world :D

What ever happened to the days of a seat, a steering wheel and an engine? All this pointless tech detracts from the driving experience, makes the cars far too complicated and expensive to maintain and also an expensive forecourt price.

I'm with Jim, Audi are making R versions of everything and anything and the biggest crime of all is 90% of them will be doing school runs and will never see a track or the fun side of 3000rpm. RS6 for Dad and RS3 for Mum.

Audi's Quattro and BMW's M were much revered brands, but now you see M and RS badging every where and on inappropriate cars in many cases.

Sorry Audi, you can do better than this. A lot better!

Audi / BMW etc banging on about "brake energy recovery" makes me laugh - have needed to do a lot of research this year on hybrid technology and other technologies that will help improve mpg / reduce emissions.

Allt he brake energy recovery does is transfer lost energy back into the alternator, as the RS3 runs with a de-coupling system on the alternator it helps to keep it de-coupled for slightly longer than would otherwise have been the case - real world mpg reduction = virtually nil, marketing seak opportunity = massive

What would make a real difference is reducing the damn weight of the car, real world it will be a 1 3/4 ton car, reducing weight by 250kg would make a positive contribution to fuel economy.

Its less about engineering free thinking nowadays and more about generating marketing led column inches

Yep, totally agree. I've always thought the brake recovery thing was nonsense but as you say, it's done to keep Brussels and the tree huggers happy. To the vast majority of the buying public, it's just another 'feature' to boast about over canapes.

As for weight, I did enjoy Gordon Murray's peice in this month's Evo regarding his 'circle of light'. He really does deride the current motoring trends and describes the ridiculous 19" wheels you see on family hatchbacks as four pointless flywheels. Sadly, true engineers like him are too few and far between. Audi and BMW should be employing him to get their embarrassing kerb weights down. They've been eating too many Curry Wursts.

Not feeling that at all, its got the go but it really looks like a glorified a3 with a bit of chrome added. The RS's always seem to have that extra presence on the road, you never see an RS and mistake it for anything else whereas with that I'd look at it and think some footballer has been let loose in halfords on it.

I know people like 5 doors but a car like that should really be made in 3 door, not a fan at all!

That does paint a compelling picture at first glance! Cheaper, more economical and faster than an M3. I'd still take the M3 though :D

370mm front brakes in a hatchback :cuckoo: :lol:

That does paint a compelling picture at first glance! Cheaper, more economical and faster than an M3. I'd still take the M3 though :D

370mm front brakes in a hatchback :cuckoo: :lol:

Kev because you got baby brakes :lol:

Aye, saucers compared to those :lol:

Just goes to show how lardy and fast hatchbacks have become that they need stoppers not much smaller than a Bentley GT's!

I reckon 2011's missions should be to see how light you can get an R32!

Anybody on this forum rich enough to pop one of these 2.5 turbo engines into a corrado that would be sweet, the engine is 8500 euros with wiring but no gearbox so i hear. If i won the lottery thats one conversion on my list .

And how heavy....

I reckon it's just the car makers last foray into over weight oppulance and speed before it's all banished for good.

BMW are launching a carbon fibre car in a year or two, think it's an ally / CF hybrid, but come 2015 there will be FULL carbon fibre cars and that's when the big drops in weight we've been waiting for will happen.

Now, the same engine and drivetrain in a 1000Kg RS3 anyone? That would perk up my interest.

A quick nose on a parts catalogue system and the previous gen RS6 (V8) had 365MM disks and they are £406 EACH and a set of pads is the same again... so I'd imagine they'd cost about the same?!