Sign in to follow this  
Sam.l

A Corrado that cant drive in a straight line!

Hey all,

I've got a bit of a problem with the steering on my '91 g60 and wondering if anyone can help. For some reason it is slightly pulling to the left and cant seem to cure it. Ive had the car laser tracked and its spot on, also checked the pressure in all the tyres and they're good. Is there anything else worth looking at? The top mounts were replaced last summer, could camber have anything to do with it? Im not sure how to adjust that if it is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks peeps.

Have you had full geometry checked - ie camber??

When was it last MOT'd - could be a dead wishbone bush or the thrust angle could be off due to a worn rear axle bush

No not recently, ill have a look into what garages near me offer a full geometry check. Is camber easily adjustable? The car was last MOT'd around last July, it had an advisory on the rear wheel bearings showing a little play, but apart from that nothing else. Could the thrust angle or rear axle bush be a factor from this? And would this affect the steering in this way? Im guessing i could get replacement wishbone bushes from somewhere like gsf so at least i can tick that off the list. Any other help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again all.

camber is easily adjusted, and also easy to check if its out...are your tyres wearing unevely inside to out? a wishbone bush could cause this issue, i felt slight drifting so uprated to r32 bushes...a world of difference and only £35 from dealers.

I've got the same problem, except mine is pulling to the right. I've had every little thing replaced and everything checked and haven't been able to cure it :(

I'll keep an eye on this thread so that if you come to a fix, I'll try to do the same with mine :(

good luck!

I think ill look into replacing the wishbone bushes at least i can tick that off the list then. Does anyone know if its a pull out push in job or do i need a bearing press or something to get them in? As far as i can see the tires are fine at the mo, theres no wear on the inside of the fronts. they are only a couple of months old. Im not sure if its the camber or not. Is there anything else i should be checking regarding it?

got the same problem with mine got it tracked 3 times, then four wheel aligned. still pulls to the left. came round to just living with it.

tyre bay at my work are having a four post ramp put in so the can do alignment. the guy who will be doing it is a bit of a VW nut so he will spend a bit of time on it and hopefully get it right. until then i'll put up with it!

it seems to be a trait common to a lot of corrados. When i got mine on 49k miles i had it all tracked up, but it has always pulled slightly to the left, although drives in a straight line with the wheel straight. Nothing to worry about tbh.

Maybe so, its just that id say its pulling to the left a bit more than id like. Might have a go and see if i can remedy is slightly at least. Also a thought...could the caliper have seized slightly? The weathers been a bit cold and then grit and all :confused4:

yeah, its common, and often the more things you replace ironically the worse it can get as everything is tightened up. it can be over compensated for by camber adjustment but to an extent its probably better just to get used to it once you've done things that are worth doing anyway.

Its just that i dont remember it being that bad when i first got the car, and have only had it for 1 year and 6 months or so. Oh well, i might have a look at some ways of reducing it if i can anyway. Thanks for your input mate.

Have you tried driving on the wrong side of he road or a totally flat surface to see what happens? The normal camber of the roads tends to cause any car to drift toward the gutter. Sometimes when you have done something to the car what has previously been unnoticed becomes a major problem.