Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Hows your Rado in the snow

ah, one of the few benefits of having a late corrado on standard, tractor height suspension :)

No snow in Sheffield for over a week so things moving well here but when we did have plenty I fully agree with standard height being a bonus :)

Kips 8v battery has been on the way out for a while now but these -10'ish temps fully killed it on Monday so as well as a full set of winter tyres he's forked out for a new battery. Thank heavens he had already got my presents (so I believe :eek: )

I'm pussy footing about on normal tyres but as I work from home I don't HAVE to leave the house and if I do I wait till it's warmed up in early afternoon... to -4 yesterday :lol:

The VR is excellent in the snow - the heavy lump over the front makes all the difference.

The valver on the other hand was useless. Same size and make of tyres as VR (Kuhmos) - even at idle let the clutch out and the wheels would spin.

The VR is excellent in the snow - the heavy lump over the front makes all the difference.

The valver on the other hand was useless. Same size and make of tyres as VR (Kuhmos) - even at idle let the clutch out and the wheels would spin.

Got Dunlops on my valver - sorted no probs.

Mine has been as good as gold. I left it for 5 days sat on the drive getting covered in snow and it still fired instantly. It heats up dead quick too, everyone in the street was looking puzzled as the old girl defrosted 3 times quicker than their modern machines.

Handling wise its been superb, think its the low centre of gravity.

My A6 Avant has been a nightmare, the friggin doors wont even latch in minus temps until the car warms up. :camp:

Only issue is getting into the thing! Door gets a bit sticky in minus temps and im paranoid about pulling the handle off :nono: Just have to pull it carefully :norty:

just make sure your handle pops back in place when you get in the car, yesterday I drove out of a parking space and my door gently swung open :shock: fortunately I caught it and nothing was in the way, but if I hadn't turned left out of the parking space it could have done it at the first left road junction

just make sure your handle pops back in place when you get in the car, yesterday I drove out of a parking space and my door gently swung open :shock: fortunately I caught it and nothing was in the way, but if I hadn't turned left out of the parking space it could have done it at the first left road junction

You've still not bought that lock lube have you!!

Ive done this before. Shutting my door and it kept popping open. To say i was confused was an understatement :shrug: . Then i noticed the handle still out and it was a bow your head in shame moment. Worst part of it was.........I was on a first date :epicfail:

Mine is a pig at the moment, not got the greatest tyres, so wheelspinning like crazy. I have Koni coilovers at the front but have dodgy (past it) standard suspension on the rear, so come a bend and the back end goes out, waaahey.

Not the easiest driving experience, but I'll tell ya what, after 10mins in it, you're a much better driver :lol:

I work up in Aberdeen, and my GTR is at my parents house in Dundee, but because of the snow I have been "stuck" in Aberdeen. When I say stuck, I mean I couldnt venture out due to the little one being only 9months and I couldnt afford to get stuck in traffic/snow with her in the car.

So because of that I haven't really been able to try it out properly. I will be going back to Dundee this Fri for a week and a half, so if there is snow, the GTR will come out to have a wee play :D The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the salt, the bolts on the underside of the GTR rust like a b!tch :(

Feel an update is due. Fitted Continental WinterContacts to the front - amazing! Been over all the snow covered roads i can find this morning and the car just sails over them all. Not even any wheels spin on steep hills, dreaded snow understeer is gone to be replaced by an easily catchable oversteer if you deliberately knock it out of balance.

Best £50 i've spent this year i think!

Only issue is getting into the thing! Door gets a bit sticky in minus temps and im paranoid about pulling the handle off :nono: Just have to pull it carefully :norty:

Spray some silicone lube on the rubber door seals, that should stop it freezing.

No Rado here anymore but I remember my old VR being pretty good in it.

Been using the wifes Lupo GTI this winter and it has been unstoppable so far!