Sign in to follow this  
Big'G'

Up-grade and insurance

I have a 2L valver which I love to drive, thing is I want a VR :clap: and can't justify having both :nono: , I tried talking the girlfriend into owning a corrado

but she likes her little civic 1.3 valver :p . Now I can't afford to get one till sometime around April-May but I'm wondering if I can afford the

insurance. So I guess my question is this - Those of you that have made the jump to a VR, have you had a ridiculous jump in your insurance?

And for those of you that have one is your current insurance high?

And for those of you that have one is your current insurance high?

hi there, your main question is fine to a point, but this 2nd one is really not going to help you, even if you had given your age/ experience/ points/ location etc etc.

have you not tried any online quotes to give you an idea of a standard quote? I'm just saying it because i could tell you my insurance is £500 but that doesnt give you any idea as to what yours will be on the same car. there are quite a few insurance threads already if you really want a vague idea.

Id just bite the bullet mate and get some quotes, herts, brentacre, Adrian flux. Plenty to choose from. I work in insurance so just be honest with them and always say you have a lower figure elsewhere to see if they can match it? Iirc I think a valveris about grp 15/16 and VR 18, and a storm 19. Good luck :)

As Dukest said, just go get quotes. There's too many variables on insurance to be able to say for sure.

Try Heritage Insurance, Adrian Flux, Chris Knott or even Greenlight insurance - im with Greenlight and they halved my premiums. The other 3 couldnt get near it, even Heritage who i was with at the time. Oh and as i was advised by my gf who used to work in car insurance, if you put your gf on as a second driver it can help to reduce the quote.

Nice one guys, but the whole girlfriend as a second driver wont work with me as she has a nasty DR10, just been on go-compare, and already pulled a quote cheaper than what I'm paying for the valver, so confident I can afford the insurance ( providing there are no endorsements from now till then) I'll have one next year. Gives me some time to tidy the valver up a bit and get it ready for sale.

When I was gonna buy my 'rado, I was gonna get a valver and checked all insurance quotes etc. Then I thought, I wonder (for a laugh) how much it'd be to get insured on a VR. I did some quotes, and the best I got was only around £80 more than a valver quote!! So u can imagine what flavour of Corrado I went for ;)

Had several valvers & VR6s, and there's never been much difference in the insurance at all for me. Obviously depends on a number of factors though- I've got loads of NCB (protected) and I'm not very young any more :lol: I paid around £300 for my currend VR, my last 1.8 16v (group 15) was only around £50 less. The 2.0 8v, 2.0 16v & G60 are all group 17 (although this does seem to vary between insurers), so not much different to a VR.

Anyone know what the VR6 is on the new grouping scale? Reckon it's prob mid to late 30's.

Anyone know what the VR6 is on the new grouping scale? Reckon it's prob mid to late 30's.

Can anyone enlighten me to how this new grouping scale works?

It's also worth checking the classic insurance companies, I only paid around £230 for a years comp insurance that way on my VR!

Iirc a VR is about 35 on the new scale, storms about 37 I think. Can check at work on our vehicle listings if anyone wants to know. Scale is from 1-50. one of the girls at work the other month asked me what a shelby cobra Was and I explained and asked why, and she said oh, some guy wants to add one onto his Insurance worth over 80k, needless to say the system didn't like that! Cobra is a grp 50btw :)

When making the change I refused to look at insurance quotes...nothing was going to stop me from getting a VR! Sold the valver, got the VR so by that time I had no choice but to cough up :D

I changed cars mid policy, but only had to pay an admin fee as my 16v had a lot more mods than the VR!

Id just bite the bullet mate and get some quotes, herts, brentacre, Adrian flux. Plenty to choose from. I work in insurance so just be honest with them and always say you have a lower figure elsewhere to see if they can match it? Iirc I think a valveris about grp 15/16 and VR 18, and a storm 19. Good luck :)

I just went onto brentacre and the 1st car picture is a corrado, that's a good start :D

I just went onto brentacre and the 1st car picture is a corrado, that's a good start :D

I paid £700 fully comp last year, so year on 29 1 y no claim and they now want £1400!!!! If any one can work that out please let me know ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is due for renewal first week February.

Just been quoted £612 for 10 months with my existing insurance company (Elephant) with all mods declared.

I’m going shop around and my quest is to see if I can get it down to £500 for 12 months. :salute:

Well I run a Honda crv as a daily and my renewal just came up and I asked if they could do it for lower. Turns out, the prices change daily so mine had changed from £570 to £508.

Worth asking the question for that!

Best so far £540 p.a.; even Lynbrook & Classineline couldn't help. Adrian flux quoted me £2,700 even with the Pistonheads member discount! :lol: