coolrado

custom LED front fog and indicator clusters

I'm going to have a go at building some all in one LED fog and indicator clusters for the front bumper, enclosed behind tinted polycarbonate, the only thing i'm not too sure on is the layout of the fog and indicator sections, should i keep them in the standard layout (indicators towards the outside and fog on the inside), or maybe change it to one above the other, in horizontal strips, i was also toying with the idea of building daytime running lights in with maybe a thin line of leds across the bottom.

and before anyone starts going on about E marks, they wont be for road use so it doesnt matter :D

So any ideas on layouts? :scratch:

this sounds like a good idea to me, id stick with the way they are personally but if you wanted to be different swap them around

Interesting! I was just thinking of replacing the front fogs with LED fitment bulbs, after seeing some new GU10 ceiling light led replacements. I'm sure there must be something similar for cars, with a wide dispersion, no?

Interesting! I was just thinking of replacing the front fogs with LED fitment bulbs, after seeing some new GU10 ceiling light led replacements. I'm sure there must be something similar for cars, with a wide dispersion, no?

i already have H7 LED front fog lamps as the front fogs are crap on corrados anyway so i decided to just use them as daytime running lights, although i had to remove the metal bulb shield from the inside of the fog light housing as this fouled the end of the LED lights.

the H7 LED's are very bright to look at when out of the housing but they dont disperse the light very well as they only have 4 forward facing SMD LED's and 16 side facing LED's which bounce off the reflector, so although they look very white they dont project much light on the road.

by using hundreds of high intensity 5mm LED's (20000 mcd) all facing forward i should be able to get a decent amount and spread of light

i already have H7 LED front fog lamps as the front fogs are crap on corrados anyway so i decided to just use them as daytime running lights, although i had to remove the metal bulb shield from the inside of the fog light housing as this fouled the end of the LED lights.

the H7 LED's are very bright to look at when out of the housing but they dont disperse the light very well as they only have 4 forward facing SMD LED's and 16 side facing LED's which bounce off the reflector, so although they look very white they dont project much light on the road.

by using hundreds of high intensity 5mm LED's (20000 mcd) all facing forward i should be able to get a decent amount and spread of light

You're a step ahead of me :salute: Any pics? Have you tried it without the refelctor? If the reflector wont come out perhaps covering it with some matt film may work?

will get some pics up tomorrow morning.

covering up the reflector will just reduce the light output even more, 20 SMD LED's just isnt enough to replace a normal fog bulb so although they look good they dont work as fog lights.

photoshop by the looks of it :shrug:

their a one off.. were custom made by the guy doing the carbon rear spoilers, but he cant mass produce them. :(

this is the light output of the fogs with the H7 LED lamps in them, although i also have the laminex tints on the fogs and indicators so that will reduce the brightness a bit, even without the tints they are only really bright enough to be used as running lights.

I'm glad it's not only me who was looking at doing thing :p

I was considering using ultrabright smd's for both fogs and indicators, was going to throw up some 3d model ideas though for layout, but I've not been able to measure the space up yet, if anyone currently has a size mask or something lemme know!

The amount of time we use front fogs, I'm not sure it's a massive loss if they don't have the same overall light intesnity.

On the early models the first click on the fog light switch only turns the front fogs on and doesn't turn the fog light warning light on so I might just use it for running lights.

The LED's and vero board arrived yesterday, 200 ultra bright White and 200 ultra bright Amber just need the polycarbonate and a couple of other bits and I will start building them up.

Decided I'm going to go for a horizontal layout with the indicator across the top and the fog at the bottom.

Will try to, going to be working away in Scotland for a couple of weeks and i need to sort out the rough running and 15mpg issue first so there won't be much progress for a while.

well after many hours of experimenting with layouts and hundreds of solder connections they are mostly done, still waiting for the tinted polycarbonate to arrive to make the lenses, the fogs are insanely bright, dont really look like it in the photos because the camera adjusts the gain, but they are too bright to look at directly for any length of time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44463[/ATTACH]

indicators

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44464[/ATTACH]

fogs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44465[/ATTACH]

would love to see more pictures of the led lamps as I think they are really great

I think they would replace the standard stuff and look very modern but cant see how we can get the E approval but love the look a lot

Lets see more