Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

Heater bowden cables

I had my heater matrix replaced by a friend of a friend a couple of weeks ago( god bless that man;middle of winter, back lane, Seaham.)He mentioned that some bit was snapped off the control unit.Now I've had the car for 7 years and could only ever get heat to either the screen or floor.Now it's not possible to direct the heat anywhere.I know someone with a spare control panel.I gather from a quick search on here that the cables can be fitted without taking the dash out but can the panel/cables be fitted?

My new found friend maintains he's on no great hurry to repeat taking the dash off ! !

mine is the same , 1234 work, hot to cold works . when i rang tps on friday they said direction control is now obselete, the cable i mean . lucky ive got a car that is about to be stripped for parts !as my cable has a kink in it ,ive tried to straighten it but it was not having it .

Yes mate this can be done ,its a bit awkward :brickwall: i replaced my control unit and cables without taking the dash out.

Blue cable is still available,the other two are obsolete,

DiggerB is right,it can be done,but you will need a double jointed dwarf with the hands of a pianist.

I had the very same problem when i bought my car, assumed it was the cables but when i disconnected it at both ends it moved easily and smoothly. Had a good look at the controls and on the bottom cog, underneath is like a plastic guide built into the cog that apparently is prone to cracking and breaking. Managed to get the cog off after alot of fiddling and sure enough it had cracked.

Managed to get hold of a replacement cog from a friendly corrado owner, replaced it and now works spot on!

Swiftkid, I've never looked but I think the problem is indeed cog based and not cable.

Dragon green, funnily enough my mate with the spare part is built as you describe so maybe I'll get him to do it.After all I watched him replace the headlamp bulb on my son's Megane at the weekend;and he didn't even have to take the engine out.That's a Megane/scenic in-joke by the way.

I got both directional cables new from VW for the later controls about 3 weeks ago. One was in UK stock, one had to go on back order, but it arrived pretty quickly.

Found out the problem on mine was the arms on the heaterbox (with the cogs) had snapped. I'm currently building up the courage to replace it or the cogs. FYI the heaterbox is the same as the one in the MK2 Golf (luckily I have a spare from my old Golf :-) ) so don't be suckered into paying over the odds either for the whole box or the cogs.