davidwort

Tropical fish - think I could get into this

i did use tap safe additive and this is my third tank in ten years. Had a six footer built into wall under stairs.

I feel there is a lot of un needed worry with fish keeping as they are quite hardy and will adapt. Been a angler since i was six and have quite good knowledge of coldwater fish.

In my last tank the heater failed and i was working away. It was cold for three days and not one fish died. Hard to believe i know i couldnt believe it either.

Its the plants i find hard

About ten years ago or longer I kept Betta Splendens or Siamese fighters. Loved them, really interesting fish. Beautiful to look and I bred them too. Well, sort of, I couldn't get them past a certain age as the food they ate was so tiny, as were they, it was difficult to gauge how much to feed etc and provide a varied diet. I would love to get back in to it but with proper Thai fish.

love the Clown, but a tank in a conservatory :cuckoo:

:nuts:

I'll lecture him on your behalf! :lol:

In all fairness, back when it was fully set up and heavily planted it was was alright, but the summer just gone did cause a shed load of algae/blanket weed i must say!

Finally did a good deal on a second hand Fluval Roma 125 tank, was a bit grubby but came up nice with a bit of work. The two 8" plecs are off to a new home at the local fish supplies place, far too big now for the tank, shame people don't read up before buying fish that will grow to a foot long :rolleyes:

I think it looks OK so far, want to keep it tasteful, kept the treasure chest etc for my sons 50L tank :)

Edited by davidwort

nice mate liking it alot. thought you were after a corner tank or is that aswell? ;) haha

I started with tropical fish, got hooked and progressed to marines. The upkeep is hard work but well worth it.

044.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

048.jpg

Why dont fish stay still when you take their photo?

Edited by krissyboy22

i wanted a marine but i was afraid that the upkeep would be quite alot! tropical is fun enough for me. specially with the car costing like it does! haha. ordering my filter for the new tank in a week or so! so thats progress started on getting bits together!

Kept tropical for a while, decided to move on to marine. Tropical were nice, but marine are another level.

Just spent a fortune buying the necessary stuff to get it set up, ranging from pumps, skimmer (thanks Andrew 30), sump, piping etc

Its cost so much and i havent even got any fish yet haha. :(

Krissy - that looks very nice mate :D

It's amazing how many people get into fish. Always been tempted, just never could warrent the out goings.

Freshwater tropical don't cost much to keep, so many people spend a fortune on the kit and fish and then give up, there's loads of great second hand stuff around, seems a shame to just buy from pet shops etc when there's fish needing a good home too :)

I find it pretty relaxing to sit and watch them for a while at the end of the day too, and just observing their behaviour, particularly if you feed them some live brine shrimp or daphnia.

Yeah i agree with David - i was referring more the Marine side of the hobby. Tropical is rewarding and doesnt cost much to set up nor to stock it.

I got a Fluval Venezia 190L corner tank off ebay for £100. A tank thats worth £400+ new. Bargain!!! There are plenty of others out there.

Thread Revival!

Hows Everyones tanks going!?

I have no got 4 tanks. altho they have grown larger than before..

The African Cichlids have moved home into a 125L tank in the living room.

I still have the 3ft one in my bedroom.

I took possesion of a 5x2x2 460L Tank which is in the place of the african cichlids old tank

and i got a 15L mini tank effort in my bedroom aswell.

In my bigger bedroom tank is a growing on/small fish tank Currently housing some platties/guppies my 2 small Birchrs a baby green terror couple of rams, small angels 5 congo tetras and some other little bits.

The mini tank has some endlers in it. some tiny tiger platties, a male Betta, and just some other little tiny fish.

The cichlid tank has had some births and deaths. Currently there is 6 fish in there which were born in there. and then maybe another 20 ish fish that have been bought.

The 460L houses my bigger fish :D - My Uraru Cichlid which is about 6-7 Inch, 6 Silver dollars all about 5-6", 2 larger birchrs, 2 parrot fish, some jade eye cichlids some jewel cichlids a red spotted sevrum, my black ghost knife fish which is about 10-12" long now, Common pleco, and some other cichlids and such! its a right beast tho! took ages to fill. I got some pics of em all i will find and post them!

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

This is how i recived the bigger tank. it was in a bit of a state and i bought some lighting for it. an external filter, pair of heaters and sand

5810086636_a8b0fff6eb.jpg

Untitled by Philuk56, on Flickr

This is it filling with water with my black sand in it with my home-made python!

5841262341_86dd5aa4c1.jpg

Filled but with just night light on

5841261297_4336f3f225.jpg

Filled with fish in it when i first moved them

5851703269_d7f2919384.jpg

Then i wasnt happy with the black sand. it just looked too murky and dark so i changed it all to Unipac Tana Sand. That, needless to say was a task and half!

6741155037_8e7c9a9bda.jpg

and after it had settled

6741153223_028669240b.jpg

My red spotted sevrum

6751131883_5d529bd429.jpg

Red Spotted Severum by Philuk56, on Flickr

Some of my silver dollars. - One was a freebie because he had an eye and his tail missing. Poor Little buggar!

6751191929_2b20183ff9.jpg

Day 21 by Philuk56, on Flickr

And how it looks now!

6751219751_8de0714a4c.jpg

5 Foot Fish Tank by Philuk56, on Flickr

its a hard one to get a decent picture of with its width! i have to use my sigma 10-20mm lens and it kinda distorts it! altho i am sooooo tempted to bin off the tropical side of it in this tank and go marine ijn it. im sure it would look stunning but i cant bring myself to get rid of my fish! if i had a mass death i would certainly go marine in there!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

how long your reef setup been going? you got any pics of it?

im on http://www.fishforum.net but sometimes there a bit anal so i dont post often for fear of being shouted at.

Ive had it setup about a year mate. Not got any pics sorry. Not much to see only got a couple of clown fish, 3 humbug damsels, a regal damsel and a couple of soft corals.

I know what you mean about your fish. Some will say they're only fish, but i know what you mean mate. Ive got a corner tank with the holes drilled which lead into the cabinet and into the sump, then back into the tank. If you choose to go marine with that tank, id def advise to put the effort in with getting a sump setup and a weir as in the long run it will be better.

There has been times where ive thought, man its costing alot just to get some more salt or whatever, or suffering algae, but i dont regret going marine. Always wanted a marine tank since i was young. THough the cost of things means ive had to take it slowly.

Ultimatereef is a real friendly place mate, where you do get answers. THere's a tropical section as well as a marine!

I'm planning on selling up as not putting in the effort with filter changes etc..

The set up I have is a good beginners tank, 60L with external filter etc.

Juwel Rekord 600 [£110]

Tetratec ex600 [£60]

Spare filter elements etc..

Haven't got as far as thinking about advertising etc yet, but if anyone on here wants to make an offer first they can - if you're local to Bristol I can keep the water and a few fish so it's already cycled if preferred..

Baz

signed up to ultimate reef and am getting my first tropical tank setup as we speak! :D its a jewel vision 180 and have got filter skimmer and some other bits already with it!

I had fish for years, but got rid of them all a year or so ago :(

this was the last tank i setup

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

here's the chap that lived in it

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

a new fish shop has just opened right next to our offices, am so tempted to go and buy a tank and some fish again, still got loads of equipment in the loft

I got a 3ft tank for sale, ;) £130.00 beech stand and hood! lighting everything really :p its in my marine tanks space!

just spotted this thread again :)

I've still got the 125L Fluval Roma, some plants nice and estabilshed now, as well as the 50L my son has, but I've got bitten by the bug and have set up another smaller tank for shrimps, funny little things, but quite entertaining :)

this is one of the little guys rooting around in the moss/bogwood:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53793[/ATTACH]

my lot went shortly after the above post. shame to have them gone, but wasn't putting in enough effort to keep them. had one 'good' fish die and couldn't bear the thought of others going through neglect.

the golden nugget plec is doing well in his new home - after spending £40 and having him 4 years i gave him to a friend who keeps a very clean tank!

421187_3238962897492_1369364806_33244223_1861760089_n.jpg

I had a gold nugget plec who was an adrenaline junkie! he would attatch himself to the outlet of an internal filter i was running in there when i first switched them over and ride the current! was hilarous to see. but they he vanished :( lol