Sign in to follow this  
carrots

daz in cooling system

i am going to change my oil cooler on sat because ive got oil in expansion tank,ive been told to flush the system with washing powder daz ,persil etc.has anyone tried it.also if i add comfort will it run smother lol

i personally wouldnt put daz through my cooling system!

however i have heard of people using a dishwasher to clean out the expansion tank

use some baking soda - its caustic, hence alkaline so will remove the rust from the system. Dissolve it well in hot water then fill the system and curcualte for 15-20 mins. Do it after you've flushed the system thoroughly with water 5 or 6 times

hi

yep tried washing powder! just make sure its not going to foam up (washing up liquid is a no no!) dishwasher fluid may well work too! i even know of rover technicians using floor cleaner on k series! just make sure that you flush it all out afterwards a few times to make sure its all gone!!

andy

I'd go one further as I wouldn't really class K-Series as engines to be honest... :norty:

cleaning the expansion tank in a dishwasher works well... I've been advised not to do the cap by a mate who's a mechanic in the past, can't remember why though... :roll:

I wouldn't really class K series technicians as knowing much about engines tbh.

they get pretty good at changing head gaskets though.

I wouldn't really class K series technicians as knowing much about engines tbh.

they get pretty good at changing head gaskets though.

LOL, not better than Henny surely??

As for Daz VW do a flushing agent and new expansion tanks are £15 - not going to break the bank is it!

The flushing agent is good stuff, comes in 2.5L square bottle (like an oil can) and isn't expensive.

Whoever decided to put the thermostat in the coldest part of the cooling system on the K deserves a pat on the back :nuts:

i used surf in the end the liquid type,took the expansion tank off and used degreaser in it as its only a couple of months old.its also stopped my coolant light flashing all the time :clap:

I'd go one further as I wouldn't really class K-Series as engines to be honest... :norty:

lotus seamed to disagree, it works pretty well in the elise :D