coullstar

Goodwood FOS

Im going to the Goodwood FOS this year and havent been before. Im getting the full weekend ticket but is it worth going Fri, Sat & Sunday? Is there enough to see to warrant the 3 days?

Also any tips on where to stay for easier access? My brother stays in Poole but Im thinking thats a tad too far to be travelling to and from everyday. It is a mare to get in and out the event?

It still a great event, unfortunately though with the demise of the motor show it has almost become too popular which massive crowds. Make sure you get there early as the traffic can be a nightmare as the Chichester area has limited ways in and out.

I've been last 3 years and there is alot to see and some awesome cars, especially as you get to see (and hear!) them on the move...especially the F1 cars as for many it the easiest and probably only way to get to see them so close in action...i have to admit tho I'd struggle to get 3 full days worth, 2 days would certainly be enough.

I know quite a few people who go for 3 days every year and still claim not to see everything! I normally go for a day, a very long day admittedly and can see everything I want to. I would quite happily go for the whole three days but it so expensive. Not sure about where to stay as I only Iive 20 mins away, Poole is a fair stretch as you say. Easy an hour and a half each way.

After speakign to a friedn he said aviod Sunday as its to busy so I think Fri & Sat would do me. I only want to see the cars. Anybody camped there on the Friday night?

Hi mate,

Agree 100% with the tip to stick to Friday & Saturday only. You can shorten the journey a bit by flying to Eastleigh (Southampton) & hiring a car for the weekend. Not sure if you can fly there from Aberdeen but Flybe certainly go there from Edinburgh. About 70 minutes airtime instead of 11 hours on the road. I think you're looking at something around 600 miles each way if you drive it.

Accomodation wise Chichester & Littlehampton are closest by, and there should guest houses available if you're looking to book now. If you want a night out on Friday as well you might be better in Southampton, which is about 30 miles away. Bournemouth is 70 miles distant - further than you may think.

On the day the crowds do pile in there, but the gates open at 7am daily and if you get yourself there before 8am you'll beat the crowds and park closer to the gate as well. I havn't been to the FoS for a few year, but from previous experience getting there early is also a great idea as I've bumped into both Stirling Moss and Gordon Murray (amongst others) having a quiet look around the Cathedral Paddock before the crowds arrive. It's a nice bonus.

The event is well signposted from the A27 in Chichester.

Let me know if you do come down. I might be persuaded to come & meet you on the Friday or something as I'm not too far away. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Cheers

John

Hi,

My all time favourite event to attend and do so most years.

I too would go for 2 days, only ever been for one - also a very long one and always wish I was there for the following day.

I have not been on Sunday for ages either, due to the crowds.

Yes, it is busy the other days, not not as bad.

As said before, really do consider getting there 7.30 ish latest, else you will be in very very long queues to get in.

I have stayed ina variety of local B & B's, best to look beyond Goodwood, although further to drive to the day before, more likley to have the room.

Not done the Camping yet, if you are considering this, book it now, or you won't get in, I have not managed it yet !!

The only benefit of the Sunday, is the Finals of the hillclimb timed runs and more famous racing drivers attend.

It is not the cheapest of places either to buy refreshments, so picnics are a good idea.

Hope that helps

I went last year on the Friday for the first time. It was easily one of the best shows I've been to, very expensive, but worth every penny.

I regretted not going for two days or at least going the night before and staying over locally. We got there about 9am and the queues were miles long!

Apparently, the Friday is a much quieter day and we missed seeing Ken Block which I was gutted about.

I'm not sure I'd spend the extra on grandstands, which I was previously told was well worth doing. There's a field about half way up the track which you get a great view from.

Totally awesome event, not the least expensive by a long way, but nuts to the expense cos the Earl of March and his team assemble some of the most exciting motorsport hardware ever seen and run in one location. I love love love this event, and am privilaged to live but a mere nine miles from this historic venue. This is not just a show, it is a place of pilgrimage for the discerning petrol head, and I would erge all to witness this wonder to behold your senses!

Great to read this post, we're about to give my Dad his 60th Birthday present - tickets for the Friday and Sat for him, me and brother, can't wait now and looks like we picked the best days. We couldn't find a B&B though with availability for miles around and any available were charging £40 supplement per person per night for this weekend! So we've ended up in Worthing!

I'll be the odd one out and say that one day was more than enough for me. I went last year and it was amazing, but theres no way I would have enjoyed a second day anywhere near as much as the first. We did spend the WHOLE day there though, dawn till dusk. Plus, with the money you would save you can spend more on the day. Tips for me would be...

- As already said, get there before 8am

- Take loads of suncream - theres very little shade

- I wouldn't pay for the grandstands either

Totally awesome event, not the least expensive by a long way, but nuts to the expense cos the Earl of March and his team assemble some of the most exciting motorsport hardware ever seen and run in one location. I love love love this event, and am privilaged to live but a mere nine miles from this historic venue. This is not just a show, it is a place of pilgrimage for the discerning petrol head, and I would erge all to witness this wonder to behold your senses!

That's settled then. We're all coming around to stay at your house :D

Oh and another tip.. Last year Audi had a showroom/stand with an outdoor area overlooking the track. The outdoor area was for Audi customers only and you had to show your car key for entry. it included complimentary food and drinks.

This year I will be taking an Audi key with me even if I dont still have my A3. :lol: 8)

Even though we only live 40miles away, we tend to stay here for FoS weekend and walk in and out of the event...

http://urlm.in/gtgm

it cheats the traffic, which really can be an utter ballache - last year we decided to drive rather than stay and were literally parked for an hour on the A27, all up it was 2hrs40mins to get from the Fishbourne Roman Palace to the FoS car park after joining the queue at 8am

Like everyone else says though, it's a unique event in the world and always worth a look 8)

Back onto this. We have bought tickets but were looking at driving and camping now. Anybody done the camping bit before? Only two of us going but its a 4 person pitch so we might have two spaces if anyone is thinking about it.

I'll bump this up. Me and my mate have booked a pitch at the camping however it only looks like its the two of us so there is a two spaces on the pitch available if anyone is interested.

The first time I went to Goodwood (probably about 8 or 9 years ago), I thought it fantastic (and still do), and one of the things that most stayed in my mind was seeing a green Storm parked near the top of the hill. It was owned by one of the marshals.

Thought Id bring this back up. Leaving tomorrow morning for another road trip down. We are camping next to the show as we couldnt get anywhere close by. Tickets or Fri and Sat.

Cannot wait, let hope the weather stays good but dare I say it not has hot as last Sunday.

Well the weather report is showing sunny at the moment.

I hope you enjoy it - especially with the drive you have Graeme.

One of the best sitting spots in my mind is on the right hand bank as you climb the hill - you can see the wall that they all scrap by.

Half way up - many of the F1 cars plus others do some antics - burn outs etc.

From this position you can see - up the hill - the screen showing the whole circuit as cars climb the hill, plus you can also see them coming into this section from the bottom left hand corner - which can often be a point of crashes and tumbles.

Bet you stay in the Paddock area for ages and ages - (to the left of the house), watching the cars - especially the Super Cars as they leave the Paddock areas is another favourite of mine.

Enjoy !!

It took us a day and a half to see the entire show and the access to the cars is perfect. No barriers and you can get in and speak with the mechanics / drivers. I hate to imagine how much money was sitting in that place over the weekend. There was everything from Type 35 Buggati's to the LeMans winning Audi, still bug splattered as well. Hada few drinks in the pub at night and sittings a few feet away were the like of Steve Soper, Bernt Schnider and Adrain Newey.

Highlights for me were the rally cars and finally seeing a works Martini Integrale in action and the McClaren F1 GTR. I also met Hannou Mikila who was driving the Audi S1 up the hill. The turbos on the Indy cars were huge!!!

Some photos below and a link to all my photos. I only took photos of half the cars that were there.

P1030149.jpg

P1030145.jpg

Glen your scene idea of an external roll cage has been done on an 037

P1030157.jpg

Wing big enough sir?

P1030163.jpg

Turbo!! Double exhaust housing, thats how the ran them as well i.e. open on both sides.

P1030205.jpg

Nice 205 but sadly it never ran.

P1030187.jpg

Mk1 16s

P1030215.jpg

Bruce Willis?

P1030221.jpg

Expensive Ferrari that needed a helping hand

P1030207.jpg

Some rather agricultural rear suspension on a 24litre Napier.

P1030213.jpg

password is Goodwood.

http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/coullster2/Goodwood/

Thanks for posting.

The first rally car that I remember liking was the 205 T16; the Audi Quattro was just a bit before my time!