Sign in to follow this  
johnie72

Turbo Charging a 2.0 16v

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find someone who would be able to turbo charge my 2.0 16v. I am looking around at tuning options at the mo but am unable to find a company that will carry out such a conversion.

Has anyone had this done :?: If so where and what were the results and costs :?:

Another option I would like to explore would be supercharging. Anyone know of someone who can tell me more about this option :?:

*mod edit - Bold doesn't work in the subject line - Henny*

Have you tried talking to Stealth Racing? (http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/)

They seem to do the 1.8 16V (def. the VR)... but given that the 2.0 16V (9A) wasn't put in anything other than the Corrado and the Passat, I guess there's not the same demand to develop it... :?:

Worth a shot if you haven't tried them yet.

Thinking about it a bit more, you'll probably find the cost will spiral unless you can use 'off the shelf' parts... it wouldn't be long before you start reaching engine swap territory... I'd find out how much it would cost to drop a 20V 1.8T in (which we have people on here who've done it).

Economically speaking the 9A is an (_|_) to tune, it can be done, but the horses/pennies ratio is not pretty.

DtM.

I thought that the 9A lump was also used in the MK3 Golf GTI 16v and the Seat Ibiza GTI 16v. At least as far as I can work out AmD do the same mods for the Corrado, the Seat and the Golf.

I agree about the silly amounts of money you seem to have to spend for even the smallest power gains, which is why I was looking at turbo or supercharging.

I am exploring the option of a 20v 1.8T also but I can't seem to find anyone who will do the work for less than £1500 and the cheapest engine/gearbox and ancillaries I've found is around the 2.5K mark, so I'm looking at around 4K, about double what I have budgetted for.

the ABF was in the mk3 16v, and I think the ibiza still used the KR, not up on current models tho.

But, they are essentially the same thing, so there are no reasons that any one of these (or any other 16v VAG engine for that matter) would be a prob to turbo charge, give them a shout.

the abf is a tall block-weaker rods. you need a uppy bonnet to fit it too.

the 9a has short rods-bit stronger. yuo need a better management system or some good tuning to get rid of the NA timing and fueling.

will get costly id say.

im thinking about it soon but im starting with a G60. i totted up just over a grands worth of bits needed and as we all know you can double your estimates.

I've seen a 2.0 16V Turbo Corrado.....kicked out 250bhp with a tiny Garrett T25 running at 10.5psi!

My own 1800 KR Turbo generated 215bhp with the same blower but is now knocking on the door of 265bhp with a T3 hybrid and full width IC and water/methanol injection. 300bhp from the 2.0 is very possible, providing you stress relieve the conrods and use forged pistons. I'm not sure if the VR clutch will fit in a 16V box but a Helix Autosport one will be required if not, adding £450 to the bill :?

The chances of finding a Turbo Technics kit are slim to non-existent. TT will only make the exhaust manifolds (the important bit) with 10 or more orders. So your best bet is EIP Tuning in the States, or perhaps Bahnbrenner and perhaps 8vturbo.com

You're looking at a few K for the turbine related parts, up to 1K for a custom full width IC, clutch, stronger brakes, engine rebuild to the lower the CR etc etc.......this is why the costs spiral out of control.

The rewards can be worth it and you get a very characterful engine with a nice power delivery. Actually that's selling it short.....you get feckin MENTAL power delivery :lol:

K

not worth iit i dont think. well depends on which charger you use but you gotta think about moving things like alternator, mounting the charger and all the other issues that come with any forced induction setup.

Glader cannot flow what a highpower 16v FI will need i dont think. bbm twin screw is the one for a 16v i think.

more cost than a turbo job.

Just sell the 16V, get a VR and strap a Vortech to it. 260-270bhp for 6 to 7K including the car.

To turbo the 16V will cost you around 5K and I'm not kidding.

What's the point of supercharing the 16V with some Frankenstein blower? Just buy a G60!

K

bbm twin screw can push the amount of air at the kind of revs that the 16v needs. the G60 is ok for a 8v but not really the best for a valve. it cannot provide good air over 6k

no point doing this for 30hp over a decent pg G60 is there

Agreed but to push anything over 5-6psi into a 16V is still going to need a strip down and CR reduction.

The 9A can cope with detonation but like you say, what's the point for 30bhp?

P.S I meant buy a G60 as in the car!

im still gonna try n build something this yr. if it pops then i can always put the pg back in.

i do have the advantage of the digi 1 setup to start with so..

fitting a full 20v t has to be the best bang for buck major mod you can do.

your gonna need all the other bits too like

exhaust system

engine mounts

FMIC

piping

fuel system mods.

gauges to see when its gonna pop

to name but a few.

...you could always try and make Guy Hartley an offer he can't refuse...

...311bhp Supercharged VR6 Storm... :shock:

num num num num num num...

:drool:

DtM.

That's the way to go :lol: That's the thing with the VR....might not be the best engine for NA tuning (is any?) but once you add forced induction into the equation, the power just keeps going skywards......BHP limited by only your wallet!

Hi,

I have a few articles on someurbo corrado's if required 8) and have contacts who have built them :lol:

Cheers

BigTartanG60

Would you be able to let me have the contacts and articles.

Cheers,

John

...you could always try and make Guy Hartley an offer he can't refuse...

...311bhp Supercharged VR6 Storm... :shock:

num num num num num num...

:drool:

DtM.

That's the way to go :lol: That's the thing with the VR....might not be the best engine for NA tuning (is any?) but once you add forced induction into the equation, the power just keeps going skywards......BHP limited by only your wallet!

but the worst thing is, he's not even pushing it. I think it;s producing about 9 psi where a 1.8T 20v turbo would need to push about 15+psi to produce anythign close to that.

Also got to agree no-a-day'd value for moneu your better off getting a 1.8 20v turbo but i just think they are way to common :roll:

Here ya go,

A taster pic and spec of the engine in I guy I know's Corrado 8)

Turbonetic T3/T4 turbo

Custom intake manifold

Turbo XS BOV

Tial 38mm wastegate

Digifant 1 injection

SNS Tuning chip

440cc injectors

Ross Machine Racing fuel rail

2.0 ABA block

rebuilt 2.0 16v head

ATP oil lines

02A gearbox