scarlett

Corrado friendly bike racks....

Anyone got any experience of using a bike rack on their Rado? Looking for one of the high level ones that will carry the bikes at rear window height due to my paranoia of carrying bike at bumper level, getting hit and damaging both my bike and my car in one!

Getting sick of having to dismantle bikes to get them in the car - especially when muddy - and taking our Jeep all the way to Afan etc will bankrupt us....

Ta muchly! :)

Not got a rado but im sure kippy will spot this one soon enough, I work with kips and will say one thing, you must make sure your lights are not covered as if some one shunts you and your lights are covered and you have no lighting board fitted its bye bye insurance and your on your own to pay for the damage weather its your fault or not

cheers matt

Hi there.

As matt says you really need a light board to be legal. Rack wise for a corrado i'd go for the hollywood F10 which is a high lift rack so will easily clear the lights, number plate and the spoiler no problem.

We sell them too so if you fancy one happy to do mail order.

They retail at £110 but could probably post it for that too. ;-)

Thanks guys!

Kip, I'll go give that a Google :) Sound like what we are after though, nice one.

Delfinis38 - my Rado does have the flat rear bench but getting 2 heavy full suss bikes in and out the back, plus kit and spares, without taking chunks out of the rear panel or bumper is just getting annoying!

You need one that doesn't attach anywhere near the spoiler, unless you deactivate it! Which I didn't, and it rose up straight into my pedal, taking a chunk out of the paint :lol:

Having done that and the rigamarole of putting the bike in the back, I've finally come to the conclusion that, although expensive, a roof rack with bike attachment is a far more elegant solution :D

Seems like there are a few mountain bikers on here. Do we need a show us your bike thread? :)

Yes! definately.... :)

Kev - had thought of that, but as my spoiler doesn't actually work I figured we could get away with it for now.... :roll:

Just a Fisher Hoo koo eeeooo koooey thing for me - http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hoo-koo-e-koo

I used to be into my super-duper bikes and wouldn't dream of buying an 'off the shelf bike", I always had to build them up to my tastes, but that got really expensive and bike bits seem to go obsolete quicker than Corrados and computers! :lol:

Have to confess though, that hooeykooey thing is really impressive for the money.

And yeah, I'd only had my Corrado a month when I wanged the spoiler into the pedal! I wasn't chuffed! I pulled fuse 15 thinking that would sort it, but nope! I should have just disconnected the motor, but you live and learn :lol:

This is a classic!!! Lots of us go mountain biking and we thought the best option was a roof mounted 'Thule' (or something like that) carrier which my mate bought for about £300 on ebay. Of we go to the Marin trail in Betsy Coed. We pull into the biggest pub in the centre of the village for a dinner meet up with the other Lads and my mate who is driving a brand new Audi A6 Estate top of the range jobby pulls into the car park and parks the car. I berated him saying we could get much nearer to the entrance of the pub so he pulls out fast in a nark, spins round and goes under a low tunnel/bridge wiping four bikes off the rack inc a £2K Orange one, pulling the roof bars out of the Audi roof, destroying his new rack and leaving damage on the brigde roof and taking off the low bridge sign 'to boot'. Then laughter from over 30 people sitting outside the pub and all the staff and other customers inside. Needless to say my mate was not a happy bunny but tbh he handled it well. I think the total damage came to about 5K but he has never told me the full costings of my stupidity, DOH!

I did see a very cool roof rack system at llandegla mountain bike centre a while ago, the rack hinged down either side of the car (was on a Volvo xc90) so you clamped the bike on at ground level and then hinged it up with the aid of a gas strut onto the roof, it looked very sturdy even with two chunky full sussers on it but also looked quite expensive.

I have a Thule and a mont blanc roof rack with bike clamps for the corrado and the mont blanc fits way better and are much sturdier the bars are also the aerodynamic aluminium type and don't make as much wind noise.

Apparently if you order the Thule rack ignore the bit about needing the short roof pack, it seems this was an error as they where unaware of the rear mounting points under the rubber seal.

In my humble oppinion of working in the cycle trade for 20 years roof racks are good for road bikesas they dont get covered in the same amount of crap that a mountain bike does.

The last thing you want is dirt/grit etc falling onto your car after a ride. Hence why i think the rear racks are better for ATB users :?

Sod that, mine always goes in the boot. Can get 2 full sussers (Stumpjumper and a Zesty) in there and all I do is fold the seats down and remove my sub.

Would never put them on a rack as I always have to stop at a pub post ride for a massive dinner and ould be too paranoid!

Kip - just looking at the hollywood F10 rack. Is this a car specific rack. Obviously i want to put it on the Corrado. But was thinking of times when i want to put the bikes on the gfs Lupo. Would this rack fit that also or would another rack be required?

Not sure if it'd fit both with the lupo being a bit steeper at the back but i reckon it wouldn't be far away, the F4 short would do both though according to the fit guide. trouble is the fit guide doesnt have a Corrado on it now being a bit older so i based it on a search for an Astra GTC which would be similarshape to the Corrado.

Hope that helps!

Kip

Yep thanks for the info. May end up being a case of having to buy 2 or just sticking the bike inthe boot of the rado, which id rather not do to be honest.

By the way i went for a Specialized Crosstrail Sports disc 2012 in the end :D

Guess it'd be nice to know which car you would use most here then :) Look at the F4 racks too though.