boost monkey

Computer parts no longer needed

Hi guys,

recently upgraded my machine to a quad-core. Not exactly cutting edge, but my CAD program is optimised for multi-cores and I'm hoping to start some big assemblies soon so I bit the bullet. Below are the bits I don't need anymore:

Intel Core2Duo E5200 2.5Ghz Dual Core Socket LGA775, 2MB cache, 800Mhz FSB

I used to overclock this up to around 3.3Ghz but my motherboard is too cheap to be stable so I've been leaving it standard for the last year or so. It's a 45nm die, so runs really cool. Don't think I have ever seen it pass 55degrees even when stress testing. Twin it with a good board, and you can run 3.4Ghz no problems.

overclock-e5200-radeon,J-Y-178270-13.jpg

Retails for £50 still, looking for £25 posted.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 LP Socket 775

The cooler used for above, nice and slimline although it doesn't keep the chip ultra cool. I had a huge Copper Zalman CNPS9700 but that's gone on Prodigal's Q6600 as it was melting the case. It's a decent enough cooler, won't blow the socks off anything. IIRC one of the clips is bent, but I will confirm when I dismantle it.

arctic_cooling_freezer_7_lp.jpg

£7.50 posted by itself or £30 posted with E5200

Foxconn G31MX Socket 775 mATX Motherboard

Let's not fanny around, this motherboard is the cheapest thing I could stick the chip in and it's not worth very much at all. The transistors are too low quality to get any decent overclock out of it, and the G31 chipset is pants. But hey, it works, I'm using it now and it's been used for Crysis and a bunch of other games in the past so it can handle itself. I got about 11300 3dmark06 score with this setup and a 8800GT. It has Integrated VGA chip (Intel GMA 3100), SATAII headers, PCI-Express, onboard 7.1 audio, etc etc might be good base for HTPC.

foxconn-g31mx-k.jpg

£15 posted

Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 RAM

Corsair performance memory, has some headroom for clocking if that's your thing else a good matched pair of sticks to boost your machine with 4GB of last-gen ram.

twin2x4096-6400c5.jpg

£25 posted SOLD

Midi Tower Case in Black

Been hacked up on the side and the front for extra airflow (engineers, tch!) and only cost me £15 new a few years back.

£Free (collection only)

All pictures are from the internet. Real pics on request.

Edited by boost monkey

Oooh, much as I hate to use the 'dibs', first dibs on the processor, fan and RAM until I can get home and check what my system will take pease John.

Just popped the case open, and the ram is the later XMS2 (blue logos) not the early XMS2 (purples). Looks like this, not as above:

xms_new_heatsinks_ddr2_heroshot_3.png

Hi Jon, just checked my system and it's been a while since I updated it. Running a P4 and 1Gb Ram :lol: , so will take the processor, cooler, and ram please. Let me know how you want paying.

Hi Jon, the parts arrived today. WIll fit them tonight and let you know how it goes. BTW, I can't send you a PM - says your inbox/message quota is full.

Right, due to a tactical error by myself, none of this lot fits my mother board, so, as I am in no position to change my entire system I'll offer 'em up for what I paid for them (see prices at beginning of thread) if you're happy with me keeping the thread open Jon?

It's the RAM, chip and cooler.

Yeah please keep it open. I wasn't too sure your motherboard would accept that chip after you said it was a Pentium 4! that's a couple of generations back now.

JayGT, Walesy had 2nd dibs on RAM I think. Mods??? What happens when the OP has sold items, is it up to new owner (JMC) to decide who gets dibs?

p.s. Yeah, inbox thing still messed up. I've deleted 100+ from my inbox and sent :/

No worries... don't wanna step on anybody's toes.

If it's available I'll take it. If not... oh well...

Doh, can of worms with the dibs thing again.

JayGT you've put that you want it 1st after it has been reposted - as it stands I'm happy to sell it to you (unless the mods advise differently). Let me know your address, and we can sort out payment details.

JMC just read your reason for sale and I'm running a Pentium 4 too (with 2GB RAM currently). Don't want to be in the same position as you with RAM I cant use so I'd like to check its compatible before paying if that's ok? Should be able to confirm tomorrow once I've opened up my desktop (unless there's a quicker way to confirm)

Obviously if someone comes along and wants it no questions asked then feel free to sell it to them

Jay

Ok cherers Jay. After what happened here, even if there is a quicker way to check, still open up the PC to make sure, lol. Let me know where you come out...

JMC just read your reason for sale and I'm running a Pentium 4 too (with 2GB RAM currently). Don't want to be in the same position as you with RAM I cant use so I'd like to check its compatible before paying if that's ok? Should be able to confirm tomorrow once I've opened up my desktop (unless there's a quicker way to confirm)

Obviously if someone comes along and wants it no questions asked then feel free to sell it to them

Jay

tbh, I very highly doubt it will be compatible. Pentium 4s are old technology now, DDR2 800 ram is about one generation old roughly. Unless you have a newish motherboard running a very old processor Jay, I don't think this is the ram for you. But do check anyways, it's about 50% of current retail price so worth a quick nosey.

If you have Dell or pre-built desktop, stick up the name and model and I will happily check for you. As i said though P4s are old hat these days :/

tbh, I very highly doubt it will be compatible. Pentium 4s are old technology now, DDR2 800 ram is about one generation old roughly. Unless you have a newish motherboard running a very old processor Jay, I don't think this is the ram for you. But do check anyways, it's about 50% of current retail price so worth a quick nosey.

If you have Dell or pre-built desktop, stick up the name and model and I will happily check for you. As i said though P4s are old hat these days :/

Cheers fella,

I have a Packard Bell P4 3Ghz (not sure of the model number) I used Crucial.com scanner and it says my motherboard is an IMEDIA MC 1539 Motherboard.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm googling now! Let me know if this RAM is compatible.

Cheers

"memory installed 256MB-533MHz DDR2-533 PC2-4200" and your board only goes up to 2GB.

so your ram is 533Mhz and this is 800mhz. Your motherboard may not be able to run it at 800mhz, but it should be able to downclock it to 533 (run it slower than it was designed for).

tbh, you'd probably benefit more from a chip and board upgrade than sticking fast ram in an old board. The RAM will be waiting for the CPU to catch up! my 2p.

I'm also interested in the RAM......but not sure about compatability.........not at home so cant check either......all i know is that its got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ processor and currently has 2gb RAM (2x1gb)

Boost monkey I currently have 2 GB sticks DDR PC2-5300 (the other is 5200)

To be honest my PC isn't used for anything to strenuous. Just want it to zip along nicely... as long as this RAM is compatible then I'll have it off JMC.

When it does become too slow I'll probably just buy a new desktop.

Easypops, will probs fit that board.

Jay, it should fit that board. I haven't been able to find concrete evidence though. I don't like Pre-packaged machines like Dell etc :/