Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Springs, Dampers, Bushes, Bump stops, Coil Overs!

I'm a bit confused, what do I need? What do I want?

I have a 1991 1.8 16V (Baby of the bunch) Corrado. She is riding on original wheels and the original suspension set up. When asking about

renewing the dampers my mechanic advised me to also replace the "Bump Stops" (Worth doing while working on this part of the car, "fair

enough") :Powerflex Bump Stop Kit £19.95.

The car definetly needs new rear dampers, but should I go all the way and replace the original springs? Should I buy an after market kit for the

whole car, dampers and springs? What price, what make?

Adding to my confusion! I searched the forum and found information on lowering the car. It does look a bit high, "4x4" was mentioned! All Corrados featured on the site look really good lowered. (A good pair of jeans sitting on smart trainers). I would like my car to sit a little lower, but not too much, as driving to work each day I encounter 50 or so speed bumps and untold pot holes.

Can you please help me narrow down my options? How much will it cost me?

Replacing the bumpstops is good advice, as they act not just as bumpstops but additional springs.

The rear ones are about 15cm tall, with the front ones being about 7cm.

Powerflex kit may not be the best way to go though.

If you want to lower it a little, it all comes down to budget. up to 25mm lower on a new set of good quality bampers should be fine - just buy a lowering spring kit.

If you're having to replace the dampers, it may be worth going for a set of Koni top adjustable dampers and a set of H&R springs. This is about the best set up without going to a set of coilovers.

Not all coilover kits are equal though - you get what you pay for. However, unless you want to lower the car a lot (which will not help the ride or handling btw), or see the need to adjust the ride height on a regular basis there isn't much point.

HTH

I am in the middle of going through the same sequence, smiff, only with my '95 VR6. I got a set of OE-style gas dampers direct from the manufacturer (SACHS) at a humungous discount, so I'm definitely not going the lowering route. I'm also replacing the front top mounts and am thinking I may as well do the bump stops at the same time. The only remaining questions I have are really - is it worth getting VW bump stops, or will GSF do? - and is it worth replacing the rear top mounts. If so - again - is it worth getting VW ones and how much are they. (I'd hope not too much as the front pair only cost about £25 from VW.)

And finally - is there anything else in there that's worth swapping while we're at it?

(I wasn't planning on changing any springs, unless they are found to be broken when they're removed from the car. 115k miles, mostly motorway shouldn't kill springs.)

That's a front top mount, isn't it Mike? And I think those mounts are upside down? The castelated section sits in the top of the turret?

Do the rears go so obviously "squished"?

those are the rears... i have a set of the front ones but not the rears yet , whats the part number???)

yes the rears do wear and aparently when they wear they lower the car up to 20mm 8) ...or not..

S Jedi-night says, both of the top mounts in the pictyre are rears.

The one on the left as done 80k miles (!!!) the one on the right is a brand new VW part.

I was "quite surprised" by the difference - hence the picture....

VW... If the originals last the best part of 10 years, I'd happily pay a little extra VAG tax to know that they're good quality OE parts... ;) :lol:

Can worn bump stops cause body roll?? Or could it be the springs? the car doesn't sag at all!

What is best to go for powerflex of standard jobbies?

Ok! The car is getting a complete suspension overhall. I'm going for a set of Koni shocks and H and R springs with some new VW Bump Stops. Any ideas where I can get a good price on the Koni shocks and who stocks H and R springs? Oh, and is there anything else I should supply my mechanic?

Thanks for all your suggestions and help Mr Smiff

Oh dear! Total rethink after finding out the price of the Koni shocks. £360 + £170 for the H&R springs (£415 complete Koni kit)......Gonna go original VW, well they have lasted 13 years!

Just read a link on the forum about replacing VR6 Shocks for original VW parts. Would the VR6 SACHS gas shocks fit my 1991 16V? I just got a quote from VW Wayside St. Albans and the VR6 rear gas are £36.43 each compared to the standard 16v rears at £43.48 each. IWould I be right in thinking the gas shocks would offer a slightly firmer ride compared to 16V oil filled shocks?

As I understand it the primary purpose of gas pressure shocks is to prevent the oil from foaming, rather than to increase the damping. The damping is pretty much entirely governed by the valving in the shock body. That said I couldn't tell you if the VR had tighter damping by default.

VR6 rears are £30 + VAT each, and VR6 fronts are £35 + VAT - all from GSF. Though some people have had "bad" experiences with Boge gas shocks from GSF, they are (I am assured by the company themselves) IDENTICAL to the OE Sachs shocks in every way.

As for will the fronts fit - that's another matter altogether.

The VR6 uses a different suspension layout (slightly). Other people here may be able to give you more info on that than I can.

HTH.

Oh dear! Total rethink after finding out the price of the Koni shocks. £360 + £170 for the H&R springs (£415 complete Koni kit)......Gonna go original VW, well they have lasted 13 years!

koni kit is £380 from larkspeed. and it looks so much nicer when its lowered!!!

Oh dear! Total rethink after finding out the price of the Koni shocks. £360 + £170 for the H&R springs

Worth every penny :lol:

Just checked the Larkspeed web site, your right £375.00 for the kit. I spoke to Paul at Larkspeed earlier, he must have made a mistake with my quote?