Sign in to follow this  
GazzaG60

removed my boost return

nice one g60bv, i've run a long hose from the tb outlet aswell but not as long as the one in your pic, mine just go's past the bottom of the bulkhead but seem's still quite noisy is your mod a lot quieter? :) nice charge cooler :mrgreen:

it is quiet, but you still get that whistling on part throttle, does any one know how to stop this, it's getting really annoying. but it's hard to hear anything over the induction noise, it's really too loud. :(

I don't think you will stop the whistling noise, unless you re-connect boost return pipe which then throw's hot boosted air and oil from breather back into the charger, which is why we took it off in the first place :roll: guess just have to put up with it but i think the pro's out way the con's. but i agree it is annoying :x

Well i thought i`ll have ago at this mod, just made a temp blanking plate out of some high impact plastic i had lying around.

First impression are that it feels more responsive and the noise it makes when you change gear is brillant :lol: :-P

BUT the noise it makes when you are just driving around is bloody terrible, people where looking around to see if i had something wrong with me car :cry: :mad:

So looks like i`ll put it back on 2moro, SHAME :(

I wouldn't even have noticed the noise when not on WOT.

I notice a complete change in the noise now on release of WOT tho - no longer has high pithced ping/whistle - now is like a quieter dump valve.

Wonder why I don't seem to get a loud constant noise?? I can feel the air from the TB coming out no probs.

Right, I`ve come up with a comprise on the noise front, What i have done is too put back the boost return pipe but blocked off the breather inlet to it. Didn`t like the idea of putting oil vapors back into the system :(

At the moment i`ve got the breather pipe hanging down the side of the engine :mrgreen: so i need to get myself a oil catch tank, but where is the best(& cheapest) place to get one?

I see pitstop developments have a mocal system for £86 but i thought that catch tanks had a air filter on top of them ? and whats the second intake pipe for on them? one must be for the breather pipe and the other is ????

WHAT ALOT OF QUESTIONS :?:

Hope some1 can help

Cheers

Ian

Hi there, ye thats a old picture that needs to be updated on our site now. We still supply the mocal ones but we have varios designs of our own now which we have improved upon.

The first generation of our own tank was simular to the mocal one but used screw on -12 alloy hose fittings as the mocal ones are made copper and are a smaller diamter restricting breathing. We had a sight gauge the same but used a more servicable fiting than the mocal item. This tank works on the principle of collecting and condecing the vapors then breathing off via the seconday outlet to vent to air. We opted for the weld on fittings too as it is possible for those who want some gucci factor to thread a braided dash hose stright to the tank.

The latest version of the tank is of a simular design but omits the second outet fitting in favor of a small breather filter. The tank collects and condences the vapors but breathes off though the filter. We have ommited the sight gauge too as it is a bit of a over kill when you can quickly take the breather filter off and see the level yourself. It would take about 8-10 thousend miles to fill the tank on a healthey engine so is not a worry. We are currently having another batch made up so all is well.

The set up you have now is quite ok from a mechanical perspective, but over a period of time you will find a bit of oil being deposited in your engine bay or the floor pan of your car. Don't quote me on this but I think that cars do have to comply to a enclosed style breather system such as a breather tank to conform.

Ah, Cheers beavis, expect a phone call 2moro about a oil catch tank :D

Talking of oil, i seem to have quite alot of oil in the boost pipe especially close to the throttle body, is this normal ? i remember when i fitted the isv re-route kit about 2 years ago there being alot of oil around

What i know of the charger is that there is no oil coming back out onto the K&N air filter which i think is the first sign of a problem, RIGHT ?

Maybe time of an overhaul :roll:

Ian

Could the reason why I don't notice much noise whilst not WOT be that I don't have a filter on the TB? I just have this open so could be that as nothing is blocking it the pressure blowing out is not hitting anything and thus not making much noise??

Just an idea :)

Any ideas?

Charger oil seal do let a small degree of oil though as the nature of their design is not a 100% barrier. At high engine rpm there is also high oil pressure when fed from the engine, this pressure is on the threshold of the seals so a small layer of oil in the boost hoses will always be evident being even on a brand new charger. If you are starting to get oil pool up in the pipes in quantity a rebuild should be considered. Over time the heat of the engine oil and the detergent in it hardens the lips of the oil seals reducing their efficentcy to seal and allows excess oil to pass. On the same note, excessivly worn main shaft bearings allow oil to pass as the rock in the bearing elongates the sealing lip, lifting it away from contact with the shaft which also allows oil to pass. A word of warning NEVER use diesel oil on a G car, I learn't this lesson one sunny Friday afternoon when I used to work for Royal Mail , finished all my reports for the day and decided to change my oil before I went home, once i'd drained it and took the filter off I realised the new Synta oil was in the boot of my company car which a collegue was using. I decided to use the supply of post office van oil for the weekend until I got the good stuff back, big mistake.. 20 miles later I was puffing smoke. Stripped my charger when I got home to find the oil seals had delaminated and the rubber gone to a soft mushie mess as the detergents in the Diesel oil had killed the rubber.

Oil coming back out onto the induction filter with a traditional boost return system is either signs of a failing seal or excessivly heavey breathing engine.

There seems to be no set pattern to the blow off hiss you get at part throtlle when boost return is removed. I remeber Furkis car was extreamly loud even on a stock pulley when the boost return was removed. Other cars on a 65mm can be virtually silent.. weird!!

Is this whistling sound everyone speaks of really high pitched and sound kind of like a dodgy heater blower bearing?????? I've fitted mine and on part throttle there is a whistling noise and I was just wondering if it's the same. Another thing is what should I do with the wide rubber 90 degree bend piece of pipe that the boost return pipe was connected to? Should I keep it on or remove it?

On another subject, catchtanks. At the moment I'm using an Oasis bottle and some gaffa tape and a jubilee clip (please if you have to laugh, laugh quietly). A mate of mine's dad is quite the man when it comes to metal and he is going to make me up a catchtank. The thing I would like to know is, can a catchtank just be a metal container with one inlet for the length of rubber tube taht comes with the boost return kit or is there more to it? Just so I can get the ball rolling and get it made up. Also, any suggestions as to where to mount it? Thanks in advance everyone

Errrr, just one question :oops:

When doing this mod - you have the breather filter on the ISV , a pipe running off the breather valve on the rocker cover - and the plate on the end of the charger.

...the only thing i'm not sure what to do with is the hose that's left exposed when the boost return pipe is removed on the inlet manifold side? Am I supposed to blank it off? I can't see in any of the pics :lol:

« DruidicCurse » wrote:i have a question .................

is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding another inlet to the G-Ladder instead of blocking it off?

in an ideal world we would be doing this but there just aint enough room to do it properly on a raddo.

There might be on a Passat though. :D

are you on about the pipe that comes from the underneath?

yeah :) is that meant to be left open?

darren does a nice catch tank that fits next to the header tank comes wih a breather filter too. and the whistling etc is all normal you can route it under the car for a quieter life!!

adding another charger style airfilter will improve the flow but i gather there are problems mounting the 2nd air filter as to do it properly you need to lower the radiator on custom brackets - suspect it would be pretty noisy with the induction roar as well

Food for thought :D