carrots

cleaning manifolds

hi ive got the head off my 16v due to it being cracked,before i fit my new head i thought i may aswell clean and paint the inlet manifold.anyone got any ideas on how to do it cheaply

the alloy is fairly soft so don't go mad with an electric drill/dremel and steel wire brush wheels. I think I used a mixture of hand wire brushes (brass type if you can get one) and brillo pads(kitchen ones with the cleaner in them) or just wire wool and WD40, it makes a hell of a mess but comes up like new with enough work. I prefer that look to the mirror polished look, which is far harder to get and even harder to get looking really good and keep it that way.

I personally wouldn't paint the inlet, if you can get it professionally coated that's one thing but home prep and painting won't last long and a flaky painted manifold will look shyte.

i polished mine, but the recent months of rain have made it look manky with a lot of white deposits of alloy salt :( Polished ones are a job to maintain in the winter

ive just painted un,used eitching primer then silver then lacquer.dont look to bad .if it does start to flake i will power wash the paint off

If you are going to paint it you have to get it 100% right and is a pain to keep it that way, i went with brillo pad/WD 40 combo, this photo was taken a year after it was done......

ive just painted un,used eitching primer then silver then lacquer.dont look to bad .if it does start to flake i will power wash the paint off

how is it holding up Carrots? I am making a start on my OBD2 manifold, just attacked it with a flap wheel, but its a bit tricky getting the parts between the 'arms'. Any experience with hammerite? If its not good, i'll go down the etch primer, siler paint and lacquer route.

Vapour blasting is what you need. I'll get a pic of my lower manifold when I had it done... Just need find my iPad :)