ZippyVR6

That 959 from last nights Top Gear

Went down to the workshop today to have a chat with one of the Techies, and saw this monster.

I'm not allowed to say what was wrong with it, but it definately did not fare well on the track last week.

Part of me thought it might be a hoax that they both failed, But I know for sure that at least one was legit.

Have to admit, I did think it was a hoax when they said both of them broke, shame, they were (and still are) two of my favourite cars ever, the F40 looked immense going sideways :)

I was also rather surprised (and excited) when they'd been given the OK to take them both round the track - wanted to see what two fairly legendary supercars could do compared to some newer metal. Rather disappointed when they were both dragged off the track :(

I did watch another article about the 959 (Chris Harris for Evo) and how fragile it is. It needs to be used apparently.. and if it's left standing around it's not uncommon to rack up 5 figure repair bills to get it road worthy again!

If I was the F40 owner and had witnessed Hammond trying to do those gear changes I would not have let him near the car again. Just adds to my hatred of the little sh8it.

If I was the F40 owner and had witnessed Hammond trying to do those gear changes I would not have let him near the car again. Just adds to my hatred of the little sh8it.

lol good point.

Youre right... But I dont imagine the amount of money bbc has paid the owner.... Its probably more than enought to repair it after

The new stig is a very well known british F1 driver spends alot of time in woking (hint hint) :) can you guess who it is? :0

The F40 is one of my all time favorite cars, would have been awesome to see what kind of time it would do round the track shame :(

LOL. I was saying to my girlfriend during the segment "Bloody hell - he's made a RIGHT mess of those gear changes!" :)

I think the F40 would have actually nailed the 959 in the drag race if it wasn't for his hamfisted attempt to destroy the gearbox!

And bloody hell Ant - when did you resurface? Long time no see!

and if it's left standing around it's not uncommon to rack up 5 figure repair bills to get it road worthy again!

Just like Corrado's! :)

It did seem mighty suspicious both failed, almost like they deliberately tried to contradict Hammond's comment about Porsches being so reliable.

I would have though blown turbos would be belching out the blue smoke, unless the turbine blades blew apart from over speeding them, but I can't see it personally. Would be good to find out the cause if it's ever leaked though!

Is 959 suspension supposed to lurch up and down under acceleration like that?

The new stig is a very well known british F1 driver spends alot of time in woking (hint hint) :) can you guess who it is? :0

How do you know this?

LOL. I was saying to my girlfriend during the segment "Bloody hell - he's made a RIGHT mess of those gear changes!" :)

I think the F40 would have actually nailed the 959 in the drag race if it wasn't for his hamfisted attempt to destroy the gearbox!

And bloody hell Ant - when did you resurface? Long time no see!

I ve been lurking for the last couple of weeks mate, bought a DBP G60 a couple of weeks ago :)

How do you know this?

One of our calls at work is mclaren hq in woking, one of the techies spilled the beans the other day, it makes sense as if you look at the build of him and the lines the stig takes round the track, only F1 guys take those lines into the corners....

Interesting. I work in Woking just up the road from McLaren HQ, too far away to see anyone famous though, boo!

I ve been lurking for the last couple of weeks mate, bought a DBP G60 a couple of weeks ago :)

Cool! Got a gallery thread up for it yet? Good to see you back on the scene! :)

Just remember to be a bit more organised with your tools this time before rebuilding the G-Lader.... ;)