Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Blackmail - or "Driver Improvement Programme"

Another money-making scheme like the bloody speed cameras?

Merseyside police apparently consider that it would be beneficial if I attended a "Driver Improvement Programme" since my crash last Sep. At a cost of £125.73 to myself, and then they will not try to prosecute me.

If however I decline to accept their kind offer, then they feel there is sufficient case to go after me for careless driving.... which could mean 6 points and a fine. Now I reckon if it went to court it wouldn't go against me, but I'm not feeling that brave :-(

Which means they get £125.73 out of me and I have to attend a day and half course (with a written Highway code test at the end ! :lol: !) - There's no passing/failing the course, all I have to do is attend - wonder if they ever get any people taking the p1ss and getting the highway code bit wrong on purpose...

Just feels like blackmail... :cry:

£125 is probably cheaper than the resultant insurance hike and the stigma of having an endorsed license :(

Still a bit of a ridiculous situation to be in though.....either way it's going to cost you :roll:

K

pretty sure that would be cheaper than the insurance increase, but I agree, it is blackmail

what were you doing when you crashed out of curiosity? did it involve any other cars / people?

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3907

It was my fault, I didn't see the other car at all - first time I saw it, it was stuck to my bonnet :shock: - so yeah, in the eys of the law, I cut across the path of another vehicle == careless driving.

Hmmm, pay £125 or have some sanctimonious tw*t tell you not to drive carelessly....for the best part of a day and a half...possibly out of your works holiday entitlement.

That's a surprisingly tough choice... :( Refusing the highway robbers on general principle may be the way to go ;)

It's just typical these days. Yes we make mistakes and I'm guessing that based on the number of miles we all do it would seem that apart from one or two mistakes(that have to be expected hence insurance) its just down to luck.

But I guess you should pay as the insurance over the next three to five years (that you have to declare) it will cost you more.

My mate got given the same ultimatum a few months back after he crashed, he told them to p*ss off to an extent and a week later he had a letter come through the post telling him that they had decided not to prosecute him for careless driving. At the end of the day if they take you to court it's going to cost them money and a shed load of paperwork, if it was only a minor incident and no one was hurt or anything then I think you'll find they wont try and prosecute you for a minor offence. I was threatened prosecution after I hit a parked car which then hit 2 other cars writing them all off when I was 18 they threatened me with upto 6 points for driving without due care and attention 2 weeks later they sent me a letter saying they weren't taking any further action against me.

To sum up I would tell em to f*ck off I doubt very much if they will want the hassle of prosecuting you for a minor offence like that

just my 2p's worth