Alex_G60_Fanatic

Galvanizing Vs Powder Coating

Was thinking of getting my front cross member, slam panel, radiator support panel etc. Galvanized. I need to get them cleaned up and then this place in Forfar said they could chemically clean and hot dip all the bits for between £30 and £50.

So.. very cheep. I'll then spray them at home a funny colour

But would it be better to just get them sent of to be powder coated? Front cross member alone is coming in at £80 and I hear stories about powder coats cracking, chipping etc...

What would you lot recommend? :shrug:

Personally, and I know this will not be a popular comment, but I don't especially like powder coating, especially complcated parts like cross members. I've got one in the shed, which wasn't done well, and is now pretty much a shell of powder coating over some rust.

Galvanise all the way.

Yeah I'd agree with Tom. Powdercoating is nice, until you get a stone chip and then the surface has been compromised.

Galvanising is much better, and you can paint over the top if you want to, which is much easier to reapply that melted powder :D

Yeah I'd agree with Tom. Powdercoating is nice, until you get a stone chip and then the surface has been compromised.

I thought as much... I mean, the powder coat is just that... a coating, Galvanization is chemically bonded to the steel. It's just some people swear by it... I'll get those bits hot dipped after I manage to get the grit blasted.

I've got one in the shed, which wasn't done well, and is now pretty much a shell of powder coating over some rust.

You could possibly use it as a mould to fabricate more slam panels? Make a fortune!

You can't powdercoat after dip galvanising without some serious process work in between to remove the galvansing salts so the powdercoating will adheed.

There is a company near me called Highland Galvanisers that do a dip galv and then powdercoat finish called colour galv, my tank straps are in there now for just that job.

As for what's better, galv definitely, damage to the galvanic coating will only result in light surface corrosion, powder coated items will just hold the moisture and crud until it's too late. You can paint over galv easily enough though so that's the cheapest solution. The other advantage with dip galv is that the prep process should remove all exisiting corrosion; powder coating won't do that and unless the item has been blasted very well it soon starts deteriorating.

Just been playing with my electroplating kit the last few days, results are pretty good, so I am going to do my front brake calipers in there and see how it goes, should be able to get a nice thin coating of zinc on them and then dip them into the yellow passivate for that gold finish they come in when new.

Edited by Yandards

I got a radiator support panel powder coated a couple of years ago and they did a good job of it. And for good measure I caked it in cavity wax as well :D

As the others have said though, I've seen some really shonky powder coating in my time. I bought some 16" speedlines a while ago which were 'refurbished' and you could see big lumps under the powder coat. Powder is like woodchip wallpaper. People use it as a cheap and easy way to cover up all manner of sins! They clearly hadn't even bothered to give the rims a rudimentary polyester bead blast, just literally threw the powder on then baked them.

Galvanised, defo, but as with all aftermarket treatments, the preparation is what determines the final finish and lifespan. If you want to paint on top, make sure your primer is galvanised steel compatible ;)

I got a radiator support panel powder coated a couple of years ago and they did a good job of it. And for good measure I caked it in cavity wax as well :D

All my front end components got coated inside and out with nicely heated waxoyl to get into all the crevices before they were refitted, especially the rad support panel and front cross member.

It was a bit messy poking the nozzel of the shultz gun into various holes and pulling the trigger, but I think well worth it.

You really know how to get a man excited on a Wednesday afternoon with all this talk of oily crevices and messy nozzles....

Just been playing with my electroplating kit the last few days, results are pretty good, so I am going to do my front brake calipers in there and see how it goes, should be able to get a nice thin coating of zinc on them and then dip them into the yellow passivate for that gold finish they come in when new.

I wish you had seen my other thread Yan... Would have saved me some time! :lol:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?53941-home-galvanizing

I found this kit in the end... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zinc-plating-Electroplating-car-and-bike-plating-kit-/250783620269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a63de5cad but for £30 I though i might as well send the big bits off to be hot dipped... Also, I don't have a big enough bucket (or anywhere to put it!)

Still looked like a nice kit though. I imagine you got something similar?

If you want to paint on top, make sure your primer is galvanised steel compatible ;)

Good shout Kev! ;)

you really know how to get a man excited on a wednesday afternoon with all this talk of oily crevices and messy nozzles....

hot

creamy

corrosion

inhibitor!

If you can aford it i don't see why not. You'll need as kev says to have special primer when you come to paint them and they need to be sand blasted clean and degreased... If you can be bothered it's very worth while

I am going to do my front brake calipers in there and see how it goes, should be able to get a nice thin coating of zinc on them and then dip them into the yellow passivate for that gold finish they come in when new.

I got a new front spoiler strap recently (the bit that secures the spoiler & bumper to the rad support panel) and it was zinc coated, compare to the original which was just a grey primer finish as far as I could tell, which rusted. So it'll be interesting to see how well the updated part lasts.

I got a new front spoiler strap recently (the bit that secures the spoiler & bumper to the rad support panel) and it was zinc coated, compare to the original which was just a grey primer finish as far as I could tell, which rusted. So it'll be interesting to see how well the updated part lasts.

Depends on the process, electroplate is thinner and better for bolts, calipers etc as they don't get too much gunk on them.

For the best protection over time dip galv is better as it goes on much thicker, slap some paint over the top of the dip galv or electroplate and it was last even longer as this prevents the zinc coating (the galvanised bit) from gradually being eaten away (which it will do when exposed to air).

Be worth painting the new bit anyway as it will only help.

do you find you get an even coating using the electrolysis Yan? Or do you get more zink on the side with the electrode?

Yeah but then I have 4 electrodes and a tank agitator.

I'm going to have to pick your brains about your set up mate... It sounds intriguing

Nothing complicated, just a fish tank filter and air pump for the tank agitator, same again for the tank heater (approx 24 degrees is optimal for zinc plating) and I have 4 zinc electrodes wired in series onto the variable current controller.

It looks really very pikey indeed but I am happy with the results so far.

Electrocleaning kit arrived yesterday so I am going to give it a trial run on my front brake disc splash guards to see how it goes.