lukeyy

vr6 missing and sounds like its running on 5 cylinders

hey there.

got a problem with my vr6 rado. took it for a little drive this afternoon, didnt thrash it or anything, just a little poodle round the block. got it home parked up, started the car up about 20 mins later, turned over fine, ran normal for around 2-3 mins, then i noticed a change in the smooth vr noise, sounded like it was missing and not firing on all 6. i pressed the accelarato and it sounded like a subaru, like it wasa firing on only 5 cylinders. i thought i might've had a dirty injector so i ran a lil tiny bit of redex through it and let it idle for 15 odd mins, but no change in the sound.

My initial thoughts were that sparkpugs, ht leads, coilpack or distributor might be not working?? went to pull one of the ht leads out so i could pop a sparkplug out for checking and the lead came away in my hand after a little wiggle, im guessing they shouldnt be this fragile?

any thoughts or ideas of what to check for would be greatly appreciated as im gonna be ordering some bits tomorrow as i want this sorted fairly quickly as i cant use the car.

Thankyou

Luke

my guesse would be coil pack, but possibly a faulty lead.

Start up the engine, remove the spark plug leads in turn and listen for a change in engine sound. if no change then that cylinder is firing, so refit the lead and move to the next lead. continue unti you find the cylinder which makes not change to the engine note. once youve found the problem cylinder shut down and swap the leads with a known good one. a repeat as above on the two leads that have swapped around. if the faulty cylinder has moved then its the cable at fault if the faulty cylinder is still in the same place its more than likely the coilpack.

hope that makes sense

thankyou mate, that made perfect sense. ill get my new leads tomorrow and go from there as one of the leads snapped as i tried to take it off the spark plug

thankyou mate, that made perfect sense. ill get my new leads tomorrow and go from there as one of the leads snapped as i tried to take it off the spark plug

sounds like your problem just there! lol

haha. it did have the prob though before i snapped the lead. most people are saying leads so ill do them and plugs first. dont think ill do distributor as in jjust saw the price of them!!!

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

hey just looking at service parts. was looking at dizzys but remembered looking under the bonnet and not seeing on. just like a lil box thing the ht leads plug into that looks like this:

021905106.jpg

sounds dumb, but im guessing this is a coilpack, reason being is that i thought 93 rados were fitted with diz caps. does this mean mine has had a coilpack conversion?

That's a coilpack indeed. 93s were a switchover year so could have had either dizzy or coilpack.

remove the spark plug leads in turn and listen for a change in engine sound. if no change then that cylinder is firing, so refit the lead and move to the next lead.

Surely this means that cylinder is NOT firing, therefore the problem cylinder/lead?

If it changes, then it means it was firing and now isn't :)

If you havn't already bought new leads, you can just push the lead back in the end piece then screw it in and it should tighten up. They have a little screw in it and they just come loose, mines done it a couple of times.

hey, was a faulty coilpack. once i had changed the leads and sparks. i tested each lead on the coilpack. all worked apart from lead/cylinder three. tries a different lead/plug on that terminal, still no spark. fitteda new coilpack and she runs ****in' mingt now!!! alot quicker too. mpg seems to have improved too. :)