domwells27

Cordless impact wrenches

I'm looking at changing my suspension over soon as well as anything else thats worn out; brakes, bushes, ball joints etc. I'm always struggling with seized/corroded bolts so wondered if its worth investing in a cordless electric impact wrench.

I'm looking at this one in particular:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir24-24v-cordless-impact-wrench/path/impact-wrenches-and-drivers

It's had some good reviews, and faired well when tested by Auto Express, but wondered if anyone has any first hand experience? I'm not expecting it to undo hub nuts/crank bolts but hope it might offer some added 'persuasion' to seized nuts.

Cheers

Dom

that seems good value I as going to but a air one as think I relly need one to be honest as the impact action is so better than just heating and praying it releases

That was the one I originally looked at, but faired the same in AE's review. Considering its more expensive and has no replacement battery I started looking at the clarke. Have you managed to come across a bolt you couldn't undo with the Sealey one?

I have used the Clarke one you posted the link up for, and it was good but it did struggle with things like calliper carrier bolts and hub bolts, personally I would pay a little more and get this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cir450-24v-high-torque-cordless-impact/path/impact-wrenches-and-drivers

It undid the hub bolts and the rusted up flywheel bolt on a split screen camper with ease after a snapon air ratchet had failed to do it, seemed quite well made too.

It's worth waiting for one of their bank holiday VAT free days though.

Edited by coolrado

domwells27. One what I have has 441Nm torque what is 241 Nm more then one you like to buy and trust me you need that power, and yes I'm tiding my wheels by hand and to undo it by impact wrench is really hard but possible and take very long time. You don't need spare battery because this one keeps wrench working for long time. You can always buy spare one for around 30 quid. This wrench is worth buying.

I have used the Clarke one you posted the link up for, and it was good but it did struggle with things like calliper carrier bolts and hub bolts, personally I would pay a little more and get this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cir450-24v-high-torque-cordless-impact/path/impact-wrenches-and-drivers

It undid the hub bolts and the rusted up flywheel bolt on a split screen camper with ease after a snapon air ratchet had failed to do it, seemed quite well made too.

It's worth waiting for one of their bank holiday VAT free days though.

Didn't know about VAT free days, that might take the sting out of it a bit, and there's a fair few bank holidays coming up too :o. I will have to get the hub nuts off eventually to do CV joints so maybe I should spend a bit more. No point buying the other one if it can't undo carrier bolts, won't get far doing brakes and suspension other wise.

domwells27. One what I have has 441Nm torque what is 241 Nm more then one you like to buy and trust me you need that power, and yes I'm tiding my wheels by hand and to undo it by impact wrench is really hard but possible and take very long time. You don't need spare battery because this one keeps wrench working for long time. You can always buy spare one for around 30 quid. This wrench is worth buying.

Have you managed to get hub nuts or carrier bolts off with this?

Yeah they do the vat free days a couple of times a year, not 100% sure they still do them since the 20% vat increase came in though, it's not really vat free they just discount the same amount, you may need to be on your local branches mailing list to get the invite or know someone who is.

I've got the sealey 24V and its yet to undo a tight wheel bolt, very handy to have once you've cracked the bolt initially and great on nylocks, damper shafts and balljoint tapers that spin.

If someone copied and pasted the guns above in black and white they'd look exactly the same.............................

They aren't snap on, neither are they snap on money.

Yeah they do the vat free days a couple of times a year, not 100% sure they still do them since the 20% vat increase came in though, it's not really vat free they just discount the same amount, you may need to be on your local branches mailing list to get the invite or know someone who is.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll keep an eye out :thumbleft:

Have you managed to get hub nuts or carrier bolts off with this?

it did undo all the bolts and nuts when i was doing suspension except main hub drive shaft bolt, I had to undo it jumping on a socket and it wasn't easy.

Didn't really expect it to undo hub nut seeing as they are torqued to 265Nm and this can only handle 200Nm. Got so many choices now, I can't decide!!

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Even if I can't decide on the exact model, the general consensus is they are a worthwhile investment, and I wouldn't be better off just getting a £20 breaker bar?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cir450-24v-high-torque-cordless-impact/path/impact-wrenches-and-drivers

This looks like a good one.

I think I need one of these as the last person to do my locking wheel nuts (Mcgard) up did them too bloody tight and I've alreay sheered one key from trying to undo it with a normal 'L' shaped wrench. I need something that properly twists and doesn't just push in one direction if you know what I mean.

That's the one I have, although it was £250 when I bought it 3 years ago :?

It undoes everything except the hub nut as already mentioned. I've found it especially useful for dismantling suspension struts. No deep spanners etc required.

Undoes tight wheel bolts so long as the battery is fully charged and you leave it going long enough. Wheel bolts done up to the proper factory torque (100nm) spin off with ease.

For £115, it's a bloody bargain. The Clarke 200nm won't touch the sides on these kind of jobs.

That's the one I have, although it was £250 when I bought it 3 years ago :?

It undoes everything except the hub nut as already mentioned. I've found it especially useful for dismantling suspension struts. No deep spanners etc required.

Undoes tight wheel bolts so long as the battery is fully charged and you leave it going long enough. Wheel bolts done up to the proper factory torque (100nm) spin off with ease.

For £115, it's a bloody bargain. The Clarke 200nm won't touch the sides on these kind of jobs.

Sounds like everything I need then. Might order one at the weekend, the car is shouting out to be lowered!

Thanks for all the help guys :thumbleft:

For the kind of money your talking about just go out and get a small compressor and air gun... Lidle will be selling a compressor for £80 in April and there is this in maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/17-piece-air-impact-gun-and-sockets-222629?c=froogle&u=222629&t=module

Sofor a little more... you can get lots more stuff. Of course if your low on space and cash then forget I said anything. :)

unless you need to undo nuts/bolts that just spin in their mountings/components with a conventional socket or spanner, e.g. like kev says with the strut top mounting nuts, then I'd just buy a breaker bar, and even then there are proper tools to do these jobs, side slotted sockets etc.

I have a long 1/2" drive breaker bar that does the hub nuts just fine, for the money you guys are looking at I'd buy a new small-ish (or second hand medium) sized compressor (2hp) and a cheap air hammer gun, that way you open up a whole raft of new airtools you can use too.

edit: SNAP ^^ :)

Air tools run from cheap, low capacity compressors have no where near the same grunt as the proper workshop kit. Not worth bothering with imo. Air tools are for repetitive workshop tasks mainly, not worth it for the average hobbyist imo and you also have neighbours to consider cause they're not the quietest of tools to use.

That Sealey is all you need mate. Get a deep 21mm socket and 14mm spark plug spanner and that's the front struts covered. 12mm plug spanner sorts your rear struts.

A word of advice on the wheelbolts....start them by hand and then spin them on with the tool. It's got so much grunt and it turns so fast it's very easy to cross thread the wheelbolts, and I know cause I've done it a few times on mine :D

A word of advice on the wheelbolts....start them by hand and then spin them on with the tool. It's got so much grunt and it turns so fast it's very easy to cross thread the wheelbolts, and I know cause I've done it a few times on mine :D

I'll look out for that. Thats if I can get them off. Had my tyres replaced and watched them buzz the nuts off the bolts when they put them back on. Then came along with a torque wrench to 'double check'. Guess what? Torque wrench clicked off straight away, might have something to do with buzzing them up to 1,000,000Nm with the gun! Mechanical sympathy is lost on some people......

^ Might have exagerrated that just a little bit.

Both my brother and a close friend have the Clarke Cordless Impact Wrenches.

I would say they are great value for money and speed up almost any job.

Dual batteries plus charging dock makes for easy use and they have made many a job easier.

As already said they won't crack off the tightest of nuts but what they can help with is shocking it enough to loosen using a ratchet or breaker bar. Keeping the batteries topped up helps also so it has maximum torque.

For the casual home mechanic its a great addition to your toolbox but if you plan on using it regularly or in a commercial environment I'd spend a little more.

Hope that helps.

I have a makita impact wrench. Its one of the best tools i've ever bought! There uses are almost endless, as long as it fits in the gap, and you don't do small things up with it!