v8rumbler

My knob is too small & not as pleasant to the touch

The gear knob and gaiter in my early valver is not as nice as the ones I had in the VR. CazzaVR tells me the early knobs are indeed smaller but are the two interchangeable?

Is knob removal simply a case of unscrewing?

Darren

hey bud , where the circlip is on the gaiter, underneath that there is some alankey bolts , very small ones . unscrew them and it will come off . regards rob.

our friend from sunderland will be along in a minute with that thread title lol

hey bud , where the circlip is on the gaiter, underneath that there is some alankey bolts , very small ones . unscrew them and it will come off . regards rob.

cheers Rob are the new & old interchangeable?

not sure about that mate ? would not have thought they would change something like that. proberbly the same all the way through production . sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong ,regards rob .

cheers Rob are the new & old interchangeable?

You will find that an newer knob will screw onto an old knob fitting without any issues.

The early knobs are round items with either leather trim of plastic trim around them, I prefer the leather myself, the touch as you say is very different - I find it's easier to slip your hand underneath the early knobs and cup it that way whereas the later knob is definitely grabbed from the top.

Cheers blokes. Will start searching e-bay. Like I don't do that every day anyway.....

Sent from iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

The SEAT Leon gear knob and gaitor also fits perfectly, it's a bit fatter has the right shift pattern on the top and it's trimmed in perforated leather, it's also a bit shorter and threaded further up inside so it sits lower effectively shortening the shift.

The SEAT Leon gear knob and gaitor also fits perfectly, it's a bit fatter has the right shift pattern on the top and it's trimmed in perforated leather, it's also a bit shorter and threaded further up inside so it sits lower effectively shortening the shift.

Do you have any pics of one in a Corrado mate?

Also which year of Seat?

here you go, its from a 2001 SEAT Leon if i remember correctly.

Didnt realise how dirty it was, will have to give my knob a proper clean and polish [ATTACH=CONFIG]45596[/ATTACH]

Edited by coolrado

Yeah the gaitor is from the Leon, just need to unscrew the plastic frame on the corrado gear surround, stretch the Leon one over it and put it back together.

Yeah the build up of dirt around the top of my knob is a real problem, it hasn't been cleaned for so long it's started to go a bit crusty, I think it's because I am always rubbing it.

I find a moist flannel or wash mitt does the trick with removing most dirt. Do not use kitchen towel as this can get stuck between the base of your knob and shaft.

I was contemplating peeling the leathery bit off the top of my knob so I could make sure it was completely clean underneath, i had also heard it's not a good idea to use harsh chemicals to clean it, not really sure what the best thing to use would be?

Christ, its like Finbar Saunders in here...

What are you trying to imply? We are trying to have a serious discussion about general knob cleanliness and hygiene, the last thing anyone want is to catch something from touching a dirty knob, get your mind out of the gutter please.

I've got a spare VR6 gearknob here if you need one!

Ok mate how much and any pics

Ok mate how much and any pics

I'll try and get a picture later, but can't promise anything.

I don't really know how does £10 posted sound?

I'll try and get a picture later, but can't promise anything.

I don't really know how does £10 posted sound?

Sounds good depending on condition.