luke w

Central locking not working

I have a problem with the central locking on my Corrado. When I lock the car only the driver's door locks, but I can hear the pump running on for a while after. If I press the passenger lock down it goes down quite easily as if it's trying to go down but needs a hand. If I unlock the car from the drivers side with the other door and boot locked, it will unlock them all. The pump will also run on for while after even though everything is unlocked.

Does it sound like the pump is going or could it be the pipes?

Sounds like an air leak in the pipes. Check the connector(s) at the pump and door mechs first before having to trace the pipes between

Would also check to see if the pump itself is weak. Take off the connector and trying blowing down the pipe, it should unlock the car with not much effort

Cool, which connector and which pipe? Am I blowing towards the pump or from the pump the the handles?

Ah, the connector at the pump end in the boot. Sucking (oh err) should also lock the car. If it takes a lot of effort you have a leak somewhere, if its easy(ish) then the pump may be goosed.

Got you, makes perfect sense. Will do that first before taking the door cards off and searching around.

My central locking is really annoying right now. It will unlock but locking from the fob will not work, but the alarm gets set. 

When i then manually lock the doors they stay locked until the second pulse from the central locking pump which then unlocks the doors! If i then lock them manually they will unlock again 30 seconds later. Its as though there is pressure in the system which is constantly pushing the locks back up.

At the moment I've locked the doors manually without using the fob and they've stayed closed so far. 

Not sure what I'm looking for tbh so any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Hasan

Just bought a spare pump but the connector is different (doesnt have the two slot recesses on one side) It begins with 357 as opposed to 1H0.  Is there a connector adapter that can be used to connect to the existing cable harness?  Also, it has one less pin - any idea of the effect of this?

Thanks

Hasan

Can you pull the fuse on the alarm to isolate that from the equation?

Ah good suggestion. Its a toad ai606 so i guess there should be some way of doing that - anyone advise?

I'll also check the air lines for leaks - how easy should it be to lock the doors through the air line? I imagine just blowing down it should easily unlock it?

As far as I’m aware, key in the door pushes the solenoid down to meet the limit switch that then    Switches the pump, if the solenoid wasn’t moving far enough to operate the switch the door would then open again?

could be either door?

Good point, I'll check those on both sides. I've recently added some more insulation so perhaps its fouling and inhibiting the solenoid. Or something else around there.

I cut away some of the added insulation which was thicker than the standard insulation.  This may have been stopping the cylinder from moving down properly (both drivers and passengers sides).  Locking seems to be working ok now, but i'll update if there's any other issue.

By the way, is the car meant to lock and unlock if you push down or pull up the drivers door pin?  Mine has never done so.  I recently checked and cleaned the two connectors in the door.  I assume there is some limit switch that the lock plunger comes into contact with  when using either the key or the keyfob? 

A while back i was looking to put in a switch on the dash or somewhere else that convenient to lock and unlock.  i'd have to look at the wiring though..

Thanks

I think you can also lock / unlock with the key in the boot? Something else to look at if troubles continue?