Purple Tom

Anyone looking to fit A/C to their Corrado? Offered free

Hey,

I've just broken a B4 Passat as the donor for my TDi conversion. The Passat has A/C and now I've removed the entire system I've found that its identical to the factory fitted LHD Corrado stuff, although obviously its for a RHD car.

Looking at the way it fits it appears to mount in exactly the same way as the non-A/C heater system on a Corrado.

I've saved the entire heater box, complete with controls, vacuum system, wiring loom, compressor and pipework. The only thing I haven't retained is the radiator as that was obviously the cause of a leak which explained why the A/C didn't work and why there wasn't any refrigerant in the system when I dismantled it.

If anyone wants it then its FREE to the first person to come and fetch it. I'm scrapping the Passat tomorrow so the sooner the better really in terms of coming to get it. I don't want to scrap parts that could obviously be useful to someone so they're here for the taking for a short while before they start to cause a problem in the garage by being bulky and in the way.

I contemplated fitting it all to my Corrado but in all honesty I've got enough on with the TDi conversion without worrying about trying to make A/C work as well :lol:

My postcode is DE56 2JQ.

Hopefully the bits will be useful to someone!

Mods - feel free to move this if its not in the right section, thanks!

Tom

What a nice thing to do - top man Tom!. Too far for me and I already have AC anyway (not that it works!), but someone's going to have a brucie bonus this weekend.

Mark

Cheers Mark! Here's a picture for anyone who's interested - the sooner this goes the better as it'll be a large lump out of my garage!

file-20.jpg

Cheers

Tom

I don't want to be awkward but I'm currently running short on large boxes to safely package up things in, and there's quite a lot of stuff included in this. Plus it takes quite a lot of time to safely package up so I'm not really willing to go down the courier route unless you're willing to compensate for me my time and packaging materials.

I'd much rather someone just came, put it in the back of their car and went to be honest, without meaning to sound at all awkward.

Tom, I'll take it off your hands tomorrow if Mark doesn't mind loading it into his car or I'll come up in the 'ssat.

Im willing to compensate. The earliest I can pick it up by is the end of april. Do you still have the rads too?

Been wanting a kit for a while now. This is exactly what Ive been after

Edited by quicky1980

Damn! Wish I'd seen this sooner! Oh well, if Dave can't collect it for some unfathomable reason, I'll pop across. I'm not too far away as you know, and I know where you are so can come down whenever (and as soon as)convenient.

Interesting on the Passat heater box, have you double checked the mounting points on the Corrado?

The main reason is that the heater blower mech in the Passat is a lot better than the Corrado item as it lives on its side.

How would the 2 x bolts that sit in the scuttle air filter housing mate up?

This has now been taken.

Yandards - we did a lot of looking and comparing my with 8V when Dave picked it up. Although the Passat has a larger pollen filter assembly on the outside of the scuttle, internally the size of the heater box is identical to the Corrado, and the Corrado foliage cover marries up perfectly with it (I had a spare one so we checked).

There is room on the Corrado bulkhead between the ABS pump and N/S suspension tower for the large A/C union to come through, the Corrado even has one bolt hole pre-drilled. Obviously a suitable hole in the bulkhead will be needed to fit the union through.

The passenger side undertrays would require modification/replacement because as you say the heater blower sits horizontally and perpendicular to the centre line of the car rather than vertically, but physically it will go behind the dashboard.

Sorry Sam, Dave wanted it and he was able to collect today which was really useful as I'm desperate for the room in the garage. Keep an eye out for a B4 Passat with a/c as you'll be able to get the bits off that!

Cheers

Tom