fendervg

Six speed with overdrive for VR6

With the way petrol prices are, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a six speed conversion for the VR that would give an overdrive ration that would drop revs at 80-100 mph to around the 2000-25000 range ?

depends on your mileage really, but unless you're doing it yourself then its got to be at least a £750 job by the time you've bought a gearbox (eg 02M) a clutch, and worked out what other bits you're going to have to change before fitting it too. I guess it might pay back in a year if you did a lot of motorway miles though?

We've got a 2001 Golf GT TDi pd 115 (remapped to 140ish) at 80 MPH its doing 2200RPM - impractical for a N/A petrol engine I would say

We've got a 2001 Golf GT TDi pd 115 (remapped to 140ish) at 80 MPH its doing 2200RPM - impractical for a N/A petrol engine I would say

And I have the same in a Corrado which is 25% lighter :-)

6 Spd would be nice on a VR but I reckon an LPG conversion is what you want...

I dunno, if you've up'd the power i don't see why it wouldn't toddle along at 70mph at 2500rpm no problem... swapping boxes though I think is a little difficult. However, according to this link here

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?45367-Vr6-6-speed-02S-Possible

you can swap the gearset and end plate out of an O2S box. might be worth thinking about if you can find a cheep OS2 box...

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

you could also go down the route of a 5th gear change but i only know of the 5th gear swap for a 4 cylinder O2A box

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/5th_gear_cog_change.html

There is also the Gemini 6 speed kit but you would need to do a lot of miles to get your money back on that. Lower FD as well but then it affects all gears.

Or purchase an O2a box from a diesel golf/Passat and transplant the gears and final drive into your box !

You now have a rebuilt box,and depending on what code box you have,a top speed potential of 172-196mph that equates to 80mph at below 3000rpm !

Having done nearly 2000miles across Europe since Saturday, I have never thought another gear was needed. If anything, a Schrick manifold to bring the peak torque down a bit would be perfect. The car/engine sits much nicer at 80ish/3500 than it does at 70, especially up hills.

She charges up the steepest gradients at 80 in 5th, but anything less than 70 and she labours a bit too much for my liking.

So, unless you bring the peak torque lower, I honestly don't think 6th speed will help much tbh.

Oh, and yes, LPG is the way forward...lol. Not that I'm biased!

Hmm - at 80 mine sits around 3000 or a bit higher. The two "hands" sit pretty much at the same position. A Schrick mani/VSR would be nice, although I think I'd only go for the VSR for ease of service - and they are damn hard to find.