VR6Rado

How much for VAG VR6 exhaust?

Hi

How much should I be paying for a replacement exhaust? My preference is to keep the car standard so really want a VAG exhaust. However, I've been given a quote of £870 for front and mid section replacement inc fitting.

This seems excessively steep to me, does anyone else have experience of replacement costs? Or could recommend a supplier?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Sounds about right to me mate i think it was over £1000 a few years ago but i think that included the tail section too.

Indeed. The VR6 is unique compared to the other models as the "suitcase" and backbox are a single piece rather than seperate sections.

It is ridiculous expensive but is a nice quality system - nice subtle sound, and as you would expect, no knocks and bangs!

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Oh dear, it is that expensive then. Looks like I may have to consider something subtle but not VAG. I'm catching up on previous owner's non investment as I've also got brake line work, CV boots, rocker cover gasket etc to do. Maybe I can sell my spleen to fund it!

In a similar position to you.. my red Corrado needs a new exhaust badly and I REALLY want an OE system (which my VR has and I love) but just can't bear the price :|

If your going to spend big money id recommend the Supersprint VR6 system. Have a look on OSV's car. Its nice and quiet but sounds better than standard. Looks very nice too.

That's some cash - rear beam probably needs to be dropped as well to fit it. I fitted a Milltek and am pretty happy with it, but would have liked an OEM one, but at nearly double the price it's not an option - I do miss the refinement of the standard exhaust though, and they really last.

I agree with Mk1Campaign, i also have the supersprint exhaust with the oval tailpipe. Its larger then the original but its not oversized and the sound is subtle.

How do the supersprint and Milltek compare to OE? Ideally I want similar noise levels to OE and definitely not chavtastic!

Supersprint is beautifully built follows the lines and angles and shape of the original but the exhaust tip is a few mill wider due to the rolled end. Very refined and subdued exhaust note. You won't find a nicer looking or subtle sounding OE style replacement

Milltek is very subtle - but depends on quality fitting - I get a slight boom around 65mph in fifth. There's a huge exhaust thread sdomewhere on the forum as well. Loads of info there.

Supersprint is beautifully built follows the lines and angles and shape of the original but the exhaust tip is a few mill wider due to the rolled end. Very refined and subdued exhaust note. You won't find a nicer looking or subtle sounding OE style replacement

How long have you had the supersprint on for? And you have no knocking? Thats my biggest worry that getting an aftermarket exhaust wont fit quite right and will need adjusting every few months :-(

I've had, Milltek, Magnex X2, Supersprint X2, Scorpion, Powerflow and of course standard exhausts on my Rados. The Powerflow was excellent, but it had been fitted very, very well and sounded perfect. Trouble is, it depends who's fitting it with custom exhausts. Others in order of preference: Magnex, Standard, Supersprint, Milltek, Scorpion. The Milltek & Scorpion didn't sound brilliant & weren't a straightforward fit, requiring several alterations.

How long have you had the supersprint on for? And you have no knocking? Thats my biggest worry that getting an aftermarket exhaust wont fit quite right and will need adjusting every few months :-(

I cant speak for Gareth but in the two years I owned the car it didnt knock once.

In my experience the magnex gives the best sound for the buck. All other aftermarket system's i've heard give the VR that nasty low end "farty" sound. What i like most about the Magnex experience is that coupled with a decat you get race-car sound effects yet simply remove the decat (i.e. come MOT time) and you've got nie on O.E spec exhaust note and emissions. Win Win in my book and i'm almost two years down the exhaust owning crib sheet.

I think the Supersprint system has been discontinued for the Corrado for a number of years now though so I don't think it's an option :(

May have jinxed myself here as today my standard exhaust started knocking. Looks like the rubber just before the back box (next to the fuel tank) has snapped. Apparently i need a new bracket as well as the rubber. Can these be bought from VW?

Sorry to go a bit of topic.

Remove the bracket and cut off the 'bolt' bit that the rubber is secured to. Just fit a bolt across with a new rubber on it, rather than pay £££ for a new one (think they're around £14 IIRC!).

Discovered a hole in my tailpipe this week (no, not the one at the end) which I think will require full system replacement - it's been on the cards for a while as there's a fair bit of corrosion on the exhaust system generally. Got quoted £788 fitted by the local dealer (Watford) for OEM. Tried local Stapletons as well and they said they wouldn't be any cheaper! Am now looking at getting Jetex system from Demon Tweeks or similar and finding someone locally to fit it. Had expected to replace it this year at some point, but £800...

i have a jetex on my vr with the stealth oval , sounds very nice , not loud at all , not into the noise thing as im sure most of us arent. anyway the roar of the vr engine speaks for itself !

The standard VW system is superb though - sounds lovely. Just the price is enough to make you feel sick.. :(

cant believe how much they want for the original. i know someone that has to replace their system on a seat and he was quoted at least 600 ,seems alot of dough when you think about it .