Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

Integra type r vs corrado vr6

I was having a bit of a dabate with my mate from college the other day, he seems to think a ingegra type r would leave a corrado vr6 for dead, i didnt think this was true, i would of thought the c vr6 would at least be able to keep up with it?

They should be pretty similar really.

Teg might just edge it as it's a lot lighter.

From personal experience, Integra type R (US spec at least) stays with the c for a while but the c takes over in the top of thrid! 8) i don't know about the european spec ones though :|

Will

From personal experience, on a standing start the ITR is a match up to about 80MPH where the torque of the VR6 shows...there's not much in it, but a VERY good driver has to work hard to stay in front of an average driver in a good going VR6 Corrado.

In saying that, an ITR is capable of putting in consistantly quicker 1/4 mile times...but it takes more skill to do so in the ITR.

Through the gears they are reasonable well matched...again the ITR driver has to be very good to stay ahead...he has to really know how to work the VTEC lump.

In gear flexibility, the VR6 wins everywhere...hell, my ex g/f had an Ibiza Cupra Sport 16v which used to eat my ITR on in gear flexibility!...so the VR6 makes it look too easy.

You have to be busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger in the ITR to keep up...and that's not a sign of flexibility, now is it?

ITR has better brakes. Everywhere. It murders the VR6 Corrado standard vs standard...ITRs have awesome brakes!

Handling...the ITR wins.

It has lighter weight, stiffer chassis, better inherent suspension design, better damping, better steering...it's just in a league of it's own.

The driver of the VR6 Corrado has to drive out of his skin to stay with an averagely driven ITR on the twisty stuff..and against a well driven ITR they have no hope.

But, factor everything in together and the picture is less clear...the Corrado VR6 is better at some things, the ITR better at others.

Personally, with me driving, I was quicker point to point in the ITR regardelss of how good the Corrado VR6 is...

But the Corrado is the better car if you are a bit tired, or not in the mood to set 'personal bests' each time you go out.

But when you are in the mood...the ITR is the best car I've ever driven. Period.

The main thing the Teg has going against compared with the VR6 it is the lack of torque. The Teg is quick enough, but once you put a passenger (or worse still three passengers) in it the Corrado will be off into the distance.

|That said, the Teg is a cracking car (I have a friend that owns one) and if I've not been ensnared by the VR6 years ago I would very likely have considered it instead. Can't think of many standard cars which come with upper & lower strutbraces front & back as standard, but the Teg has them both.

John

Ess Three,

Good explanation and balanced view, i agree with you on all the points.

I've actually had a one on one with an ITR, quick off the mark, true, i believe they rev to 9k!

I have an advantage of a charger & up to 80mph they do go well but by 100 then 120 he was hundreds of meters behind and started flashing me 'cos there was nothing he could do but fall further behind and i wasn't by any means caning my VR or using the nos, effortless out acceleration against the ITR, that's why i've never thought much of them either on acceleration or top end though they are a good car & would prob out handle on the twisties like you said!

Love the torque the VR gives especially with the charger on :lol:

Chris

Agree. I've been in an itr and it feels pathetic after the vr. Also followed one round the track and it didn't look all that composed, a bit squigy really although you can't really compare a standard vr against a teg-r as the corrado has been compromised by its factory suspension, tuned for ride comfort more than handling. A better comparison is a vr with decent suspension/roll bars against a teg. Probably a more even contest.

At the end of the day, they are different beasts.

The ITR is a true drivers car...one where you have to be 100% committed all the time...when you are there is NOTHING that comes close, for the type of car.

The VR6 is a far bettrer all rounder...of that there is no doubt.

The meaty torque of the VR6 even in NA form makes it a far better prospect to live with each day.

Again though, Honda never pretended the ITR was a straight line car...however, on a track and in the hands of a skilled driver the driving experience is unrivalled this side of about 60K

Revving to 9000 takes some getting used to...driving it likle a rear wheel drive car also takes some getting used to...set it up for a corner, late apax, lift off oversteer and then steer with the throttle! fantastic!

It's just so adjustable on the limit...not fast in a straight line...but bloody quick on a track wet or dry.

I regelarly used to put in lap times up with the fastest 10% of the Imprezas round Knockhill...despite only having a standard NA 1.8 engine, standard brakes and FWD! (Ok, I was on slicks a lot...but don't tell anyone!!)

I have never worked as hard in a car in my life...blister on the left hand from changing gear...sweating like never before...feet burning from the heat coming through the firewall...but what a buzz.

It took me nearly 2 years to be able to get 100% out of my ITR...anything less isn't giving the chassis credit...

To see a properly driven ITR lap a circuit is an expreience.

I did a trackday with my manager in his Series 1 GT3 911..we did 1 x 20 mins session in the GT3 and 5 x 20 min sessions in the ITR...I couldn't get hiom out of it! Excellent fun.

But back on public roads, I'd take the VR6 for everyday use...

You just can't drive an ITR properly on the road...you can't 'push the envelope' far enough to make it make sense...I tried.

I wrote mine off. Not pretty.

It was the best car i've ever driven, bar none. For the 5 % of it's life it was on the track.

However, I don't live on a racetrack, and there's the other 95% of the time to consider...I didn't buy another.

Back to torque and VAG...

The main thing the Teg has going against compared with the VR6 it is the lack of torque. The Teg is quick enough, but once you put a passenger (or worse still three passengers) in it the Corrado will be off into the distance.

|That said, the Teg is a cracking car (I have a friend that owns one) and if I've not been ensnared by the VR6 years ago I would very likely have considered it instead. Can't think of many standard cars which come with upper & lower strutbraces front & back as standard, but the Teg has them both.

John

Heard your VR went bang last week...dohh

I rekon the Teg would just about have the VR cause purley based on power to weight!

Er... yes.

Nearside CV joint fell apart in the snow last thursday night. Took 1h40m for the AA to reach me. It was a bloody cold night I can tell you.

As for your comment about power to weight, that is true of you are a jockey-sized driver, but put a portly squire in the seat of a Teg-R and that little 1.8 4-pot starts to struggle against a VR6 :roll:

Try a corrado VR6 with a Quaife diff (like the ITR has) and then see which one you prefer....that's what's giving the ITR it's advantage....

That + all those strut braces. They really are impressive. The lower rear ones are made from a fancy alloy which shines like titanium of you follow it at nighyt with your heardlights.

John

I was luck enough to get driven around the 'ring in an ITR and that was an experience i can tell you! The performance was very good when rev'd but the handling was awesome! like no fwd car i have ever been in, would run rings around my G60 and a vr likewise i would imagine! The car was driven by some guy who wasnt the best driver i have ever seen but the car was pretty forgiving and flattered his driving to make him look like a pro!

I wouldnt mind owning one but as Ess Three said it would get a bit tiring with the lack of torque and refinement i would think!

We need a group buy on Quaife/Peloquin torque biasing differentials. i can get them for $700 plus shipping, roughly £480 all in, Qauifes work out about £700 all in with bolts and stuff, plus fitting.

Until you have driven a VR6 with one of these you can't truly say you've explored it's handling ability. I can't express enough how good they make the car feel and the grip they provide.

I can catagorically state that ALL fwd cars bordering on 200bhp or more NEED a proper diff to enable them to be driven properly.

Look at the Focus RS, the ITR, both have one.....both legendary FWD cars.....as was the corrado VR6 in it's day.

Love your corrado, buy it a proper diff :lol

(and no, I don't work for quaife of peloquin transaxles! but I would if I could)

Ill back up everything PhatVR6 says, you really dont know the difference/improvement it will make until you try one. 8)

Ill back up everything PhatVR6 says, you really dont know the difference/improvement it will make until you try one. 8)

I can't wait... I get my LSD'd box back within the next week... :D

You can read an hear all you possibly can about them, but nothing will prepare you for the feeling you get when you first notice the improvement it makes.

Henny, you'll sh1t yourself with excitement, I swear you will. you car will feel so much quicker because the power is so more useable.

If you want to know more about LSDs read this... v. interesting .. http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

I just read this whole page... I am now enlightened... 8) :D Cheers for the link... 8)

You can read an hear all you possibly can about them, but nothing will prepare you for the feeling you get when you first notice the improvement it makes.

Henny, you'll sh1t yourself with excitement, I swear you will. you car will feel so much quicker because the power is so more useable.

Phat, you don't know the half of it! ;) J-DUB's now been off the road for nearly 7 months and will be a totally different beast when she hits the road again... 8)

Excitement doesn't even come close to the feeling I'll have.... :D :wink:

I have spanked an ITR in my VR, Went from a standing start to 80mph and stayed level, after that the torque of the VR made the difference- after 120mph the ITR just disappeared from the rear view mirror :mrgreen: . I seem to remember it making a nice howl though going up through the gears- you don't see many about now either

Phat, you don't know the half of it! ;) J-DUB's now been off the road for nearly 7 months and will be a totally different beast when she hits the road again... 8)

Excitement doesn't even come close to the feeling I'll have.... :D :wink:[/quote:3d5ab]

I bet you're getting a rise on at the mere thought of it!

'sex wee' imminent :lol:

*mod edit - Sorted the quote for you - Henny*

Try a corrado VR6 with a Quaife diff (like the ITR has) and then see which one you prefer....that's what's giving the ITR it's advantage....

Not all Tegs had an LSD.

I'm definitely up for a Quaiffe group buy but don't you have a, err, tainted relationship with them? Something along the lines of "They're a bunch of Cxxts...." if I remember rightly, LOL!

K

i think its not a resonable comparison because they are cars from different timescales, the corrado was on its way out when the ITR was born, but they are both the top cars of their times