8vMatt

Thinking about these seats? Oldschool BMW 635i's.

Hey guys,

At the moment I have Audi S3 Recaro's and obviously they are great seats with electric and heating in them. But to me, they are a too modern looking seat for my Corrado. I've been looking around for superb original seats but a combination of lack of funds and limited availability has made this a fruitless exercise. I see a pair of originals go up for sale today, they have some good potential but for me I would want to spend extra on the Furniture Clinic colouring and refurb them to a great condition. They would come up very nicely for someone.

All the time I've been thinking of replacing the S3's, I have a pair of very old (1986 ish) BMW 635i seats sat at home doing nothing. These came from a car that was broken with 86k on it and been parked up in a garden for the last years of its life. I have to say they look very in keeping with the style of the Corrado seat, the horizontal stitching being the main one. I would also say they are about the comfiest seats I've ever sat in! The bolster and lumber supports are very deep and there is no sag in them at all. The more I think about it, they would be awesome :dance:They weigh loads less than the S3's as a bonus. I think a repaint and they would be a winner. I also have a pair of Corrado cloth seats that I could rob the subframes off and get welded to the bottoms of these. These seats are also very low in the bum sitting area just like a Corrado seat.

Just wondering what your opinions are really. They must be a rare seat by now and if anyone has any knowledge about them, it would be great to read it.

Cheers guys.

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

Certainly much more in keeping with the style of the Corrado, be interested to see how you get on

I've not investigated the seat runners at all, it only just came to me about using them. Can't be much of a chance of there being a match I would of thought. I thought it might be easier to just change to the Corrado subframe, I don't know really as all this stuff is new to me.

I'm impressed with the condition of the leather, very tight and still manages a shine despite not being looked after. The seat in the right of the pic has had a bit of a scrub clean but they need a good going over before getting any black paint near them.

Look very nice - they look a tad wide perhaps though? Would they foul the centre tunnel area? S3 seats must be glorious to sit in though. These from a left-hooker Matt?

They look good, have you sat them in situ yet? I've found alot of seats are a tight fitdue to the tunnel being so tall and wide (although te drivers side has alittle more space) flip the seats and take a picture so we can see the undersides

Saw a set of these recently on the bay and asked myself the same question. Will be watching with interest as said above, they do look like they would match a Corrado interior well.

They look miles more OEM than the S3 seats do which is better tbh if thats the look your after.

That said i'm leaning towards Porsche seats trimmed in S5 silver/white leather and blackberry piping to match the car.

I like them, look similar to the 8 series seats from memory. Could be quite wide though, have you measured them up?

hi bud after speakin to you on the blower i have had a look and agree they look much more like the originals. think they look really nice, but as others have said they could be tight . my porka ones are pretty tight but not squeezed in . regards rob

Cheers for the feedback guys, I'll go meaasure them up and and post pics of underneath. Might even try to place one in position in the car to see if its worth continuing with. Fingers crossed. The pics might look slightly wide but sitting down in them, they seem to be narrow. I always think back to looking at sofas in the shop and they're comfy and the right size. Get them home and you're taking out windows to squeeze them into the house!!!

I've now measured the widest point of the seats and its 540mm. Had a look underneath and there seems to lots of clear space for subframe positioning. Here's the underside and sides-

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Thought it would be sensible to physically try the seat, I was surprised at the room there is either side of the seat. I would need the subframe to be set as low as canbe allowed due to headroom. It feels very comfy and a nice place to be sat in there :cool:

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Forgot to say, for the anal detail lovers out there, the S3 seats weigh 27 kgs and the BM's are 20kgs. Not a bad saving. Oh and the headrests move to a more upright position than in the pics where they look a little silly like that.

I must be alone in thinking that they're an ugly version of the Corrado Recaro then! :grin:

However, I do think they're quite nice, and certainly an improvement on the looks of cloth.

Your not, Im not feeling them Im afriad. I dont think there any better than the standard seats. I think VW got them spot on from the start.

I presume the main point is that they're considerably cheaper than a set of beige Corrado Recaros?

I would obviously like Corrado Recaros but everyone knows the cost of them and how available they are. If you spend enough you can find some. Given the price for these seats to me (free) and also the satisfaction I will get from refurbing them myself, I'm happy to learn and play with new skills. I've never even thought about changing colour on leather before. Its all good fun at the end of the day!

Exactly and no one's knocking that Matt ... especially for the low low price of £ zero!