dragon green

48 to the gallon

Thought I would test the mpg,so I brimmed it full,then did a round trip of 392.4 miles to pick a headlining up of Voo(thanks again Vicky) topped the tank up on my return,putting in 37 litres (8.13886 gallons)

This works out a staggering 48.21 !! To the gallon

Ok it was all motorway driving, I never went over the speed limits.

Not bad for a 20vt running 270bhp !

Gonna have a go next time I drive the vRS ;) Don't think I'll get near 48 though!

I did cheat !

I Hardly drove under boost ! Kept as much vacuum as possible,

Still to have a car with 270bhp on tap and still be able to get decent economy is making me want a 20vt

Still to have a car with 270bhp on tap and still be able to get decent economy is making me want a 20vt

there are other engines besides the 20vt which will be economical and fun to drive :D

best what I got on my vr was 38 mpg but best what I got on my 1.8T running qpeng was 32 mpg

there are other engines besides the 20vt which will be economical and fun to drive :D

Such as....?

On a recent run up to the Stanford Hall meet I was taking it steady trailing my friend in his Audi A4 at a leisurely 70 mph, over the 3 hour journey I recorded an overall 44 mpg! In a 2L 16VG60!! I was astonished. With reflection I put this figure largely down to the CTN diesel tall gears now on the car(under 2000rpm @ 70mph), the off boost cruising, and my mates "conservative" driving style. Previously, before the CTN box I was getting at best 25mpg. Still not sure about the actual accuracy of this amazing result but am going to keep a record of mileage and fuel used to work out a control average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is fricking amazing!!!!!!

I get around 55mpg around town and 50mpg on motorway in my 1.4 Fabi TDi, so for you to get that, I'm bloody jealous! Good going!

I too have the CTN gearbox, on motorway driving it really is a Godsend !

That's where most of the savings will be made i think... at 2000rpm you'll be little more than ticking over. I was thinking of getting the 5th gear swap described in the wiki but this gear box swap intrigues me...

shouldn't your diesel be more economical extra urban? or do you speed about on the motorways?

Well I do about 80ish on motorways but you gotta remember its a small engined diesel, a bigger diesel engine doesnt struggle liek a smaller engined one. I'm not saying its underpowered cos it certainly is not, I have had it at 105mph when the car was full but obviously its a little more laboured than a bigger engined diesel.

Sorry, that still doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah a big engine will pull better on the motorway but it will use more fuel as the swept distance of the piston is longer (torquier).

Yeah a big engine will pull better on the motorway but it will use more fuel as the swept distance of the piston is longer (torquier).

Bigger engines squirt less fuel to maintain the higher speeds because of the gearing isn't it? not necessarily engine size. Bigger car has longer gear ratio

In that case I may be just spouting pish, but thats my understanding of it. Either way, its the figures I seem to constantly get, even though I did expect better...

Keep in mind that whenever I travel on the motorway, it's always with my wife and little girl, WITH all their luggage.... (!!!)

Edited by Dr Forinor

Engines use fuel in proportion to the amount of air they draw in, so a big engine will always burn more fuel than a small one, assuming they both run at lambda 1.

One exception is the old Vauxhall Carlton 3.0 GSi, which used to shut down half it's cylinders under very light load. Quite clever really, when you consider a straight 6 is mechanically the most balanced engine there is, and under very light loads you wouldn't feel it only running on 3.

And in the same vain, a very high revving small engine (VTEC) will burn more fuel than a low revving big engine.

And in the same vain, a very high revving small engine (VTEC) will burn more fuel than a low revving big engine.

Thus my point with the gearing.... That fabia must be at 4000RPM at 70mph... a larger 2-3 litre skoda could have a longer gearing and so lower revs.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

btw alot of modern engines turn off injectors under light loads. My Dads x-type for instance...