James.

1995 Sherry Pearl 8V

I think i will be reverting back to the good ol Toyo T1R's after seeing your pics. Reminded me how good they really were :)

Nice to see it still shining like a you know what and glad to see that annoying starter motor buzz has finaly gone. Enough to drive anyone mad!!

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. Wasn't in a rush to put them on. There was still a lot of life in the Toyos and yes you're right Jake, they are a superb tyre but I'm made up now.

Many thanks to Alan who took ownership of the Westwoods yesterday. Hope they give you years of pleasure and make sure you let us have a picture of them fitted.

Took our time on the way home and set a new record:

Laughable MPG, I saw 48.9 on the Scotland trip which i was stunned by. :)

I saw 48.9 on the Scotland trip

I live in hope !

MPG is certainly not the cars "raison d'être". Merely a little family game we play, when on road trips of any distance.

As I soon tire of driving at 56 mph.

Although you've set me a new target now Kip.

I'm pretty sure my record was 48.2 (if memory serves correct) sad how i still remember, it was many years ago!

I'm pretty sure my record was 48.2 (if memory serves correct)!

Then the bar has been well and truly raised. Or should that be the MPG.

I can see a competition forming here...

Started setting the car up for summer family use recently. Making sure it's mechanically spot on etc.

After the comedian on Edition 38 asked £130 for an OE roof rack, I thought it would be another twelve months before I found another (reasonably priced). Wasn't only looking just for an OE model. I'd priced the Thule set up at about £70. Which considering the fit and quality wasn't that bad.

As luck would have it, an OE one popped up on a certain online auction site at the weekend. It was more money than I wanted to pay, so I threw in what I considered a fair price, and it was duly accepted. As luck would have it, the owner was in this neck of the woods this weekend. So this morning, I made the short journey to Warrington to collect the rack.

Turns out the owner has had three Corrados in the past. The last one racking up 300k !

By his own admission, he only sold the Corrado as he considered himself too old to be crawling around under a car.

Just been out and given it a test fit. There's little illustration stickers underneath to aid installation. I've also taken the locks out as they needed a repair. But it's still secure with just the five mm allen bolts.

I know they're not everyones cup of tea. But be sure that it's not for gaining scene points. Ladders and camping equipment is this racks destiny.

Cant beat a good Rack, used mine more than i can remember :) great for the christmas tree run :)

It's something I should have bought a long time ago if I'm honest. Just being able to put the bikes up there will be a great help.

James

I fitted the wheels a couple a miles up the road and drove 40+ miles home. Car feels much better on 15" wheels but alas there's still something not quite right-firm but still crashy on potholes. I'm happy with the look of original Westwood wheels. The only suspension/steering parts not replaced up front are the ARB bushes so they are on order. It may also be engine mounts that make it crashy on potholes and theres noisy vibration occasionally which could also be the rear engine mounts. Anyway the car is once more in bits. I'm fixing the camshaft oil leak and replacing the cam belt (its covered in oil) and while I'm there I thought I'd replace the rear engine mounts (Febi replacements).

I mentioned the car is slow to warm up. I removed the theromostat and checked it. It opens at 87 as it should. Its a mystery. My Pug and BM are up to temp in less than a mile -the Corrado needs 10 miles????

Hi Alan

Nice to meet you the other day and hope you enjoy the wheels.

I guess any rubber components that are original will be past their best. Engine mounts included. I would have thought there would be movement in the gearstick to indicate mount wear ?

If you've replaced all the other rubbers, you could say it would make sense to swap the ARB ones as well.

Are the springs model correct ? Perhaps something else to check ?

Let us know how you get on.

Nice rack james and love the wheels. im back in wigan next weekend so will pop round if your home. I hear rumours of a Langdale corrado, but im yet spot its rear end hanging out of an over sized pot hole.

I reported a hole in the road the other day to the police, they said they are looking into it!!!!! Sorry!!!!

James, a lovely looking car, and it's great that you've started setting the car up for summer family use, so they can all enjoy the car.

If you've not already replaced the 90mm front splitter for the 50mm one, then I highly recommend that you do it asap. It makes a huge difference to the practicality of the car with all those speed bumps/uneven roads out there! Changed mine a few days back. The 90mm one looks better, but the 50mm makes the car easier to live with. Store the 90mm away and keep it damage free.

The 90mm one looks better, but the 50mm makes the car easier to live with. Store the 90mm away and keep it damage free.

Too late was the cry. It's already taken a hit and sustained a corner crack. Fortunatly I've a 50mm tucked away for a rainy day. Just can't bring myself to fit it and alter the cars aesthetic. Maybe a job for this week perhaps. Might even look at repairing the damage at the same time.

Adam, you should be on stage...

...Sweeping up !

Give us a bell when you land back. You doing some work on the Corrado when you're back ?

Jesus that really does sit high. Love the mpg, Im still tempted to go and look at that local 8v for sale to use for commuting.

Jesus that really does sit high.

James actually, but close enough !

Why do you think I bought the rack. So I could store the step ladders somewhere.

Could do worse than an 8v though. I know it may as well be the other side of the world, but there's a potential blinder on ebay at the moment.

Silver, two owners, standard, 60k (and looks it as well). All for £1595. If you bid them, I'm sure they'll come down as well.

Downside (possibly for you) is it's in Swansea.

If I hadn't already invested a boat load of time into this one, I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.

Give us a bell when you land back. You doing some work on the Corrado when you're back ?

Depends if your offering your services? I plan to remove the dash and replace the heater matrix.....maybe!

Hmm, that seems to have disappeared, shame.

I know. I spotted that it had ended this morning. Looked really good as well.

You fancy another then ?

---------- Post added at 6:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:32 PM ----------

Depends if your offering your services? I plan to remove the dash and replace the heater matrix.....maybe!

Sure I can spare a couple of hours if you ply me with brews and biscuits. A dash is pretty straight forward.

Saturday afternoons best for me.

Its a date, ill give you a ring when i return to the 21st century!

Don't you have to pass through the 20th century first !

Hi James

I see you've been kind of busy with the V6!!

Since we met to buy your Westwoods, I've done a little to my 16v. I set about replacing the camshaft oil seal and timing belt, replaced the thermostat, seal and coolant, renewed the engine rear mount and gearbox mount and replaced the ARB rubber mounts (more hassle than I imagined). Still not 100% happy with the ride but others tell me I'm expecting too much by comparing the Corrado with my 318ti sport which is a great drive. I dont remember my Mk2 8v Golf gti being unforgiving of potholes.

The good news is that it is now like a different car. It sounds quieter under the bonnet and in the car, it feels better on tickover and it picks up and goes like never before. The oil temp is now around 110 (previously 120) and indicated mpg has improved. Whilst replacing the mounts could contribute to the car being quieter, the coolant change possibly contributing to the lower oil temp, the performance increase can only be down to a change in valve timing. When I bought the car it must have been out by a tooth!!!

Compared with what you've been doing any difficulties I had dismantling will seem minor!!

Attached is a photo of my mounts (135k) the gearbox one was definitely shot, and the engine one made funny noises when I jumped on it.

And the long awaited photo of my Pearl Grey 16v with your Westwoods. Everyone agrees it looks much better than with the Ripspeed 17" wheels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59345[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]59349[/ATTACH]

Busy isn't the word Alan.

Great to hear you've got the car closer to how you want it. I hear what you say about the ride compared to a mk2. And I'll be honest, the ride "out of the box" of a mk2 is better. But distance/touring wise, the Corrado is leagues ahead.

Surprising what a tooth out can make. After a timing belt, my last 16v was a tooth out. It was awful to live with.

The wheels look fantastic. And that's me leaving the biased hat on the stand. Great work.

Typical. I'm off on holiday for two weeks and going back on Tuesday.

So when does my dearest car decide to throw its electrical dummy out of the pram ? Saturday morning. Three days before I go back to work and 24 hours after I'd visited the parts counter !

Friday he's purring along like a kitten. Lending a hand on various Corrado duties. Saturday morning we hop in to go to Oscars tennis lesson and there's a distinct lack of wiper/ABS/washer/heater oportunities.

Arriving back home an hour or so later. The early morning sun had by now helped raise the cars internal temp a couple of notches. With the sun now in it's ascendancy I chose to remove the fuse cover to inspect the internals. I quietly told myself that it would be stricking coincidence that a couple of fuses had blown at the same time. But until I could check, then coincidence it could well be.

So all the fuses are okay then. Hmmm where next. It's at that point that the under trays had both been removed, the ominous grey clouds and their watery contents descended. Putting a nail in the coffin of the mornings outdoor events.

Forever a sucker for punishment. We pootled over to BigAdams house for the joyous task of a heat exchanger replacement. Dash and trim out, only to be thwarted by the lack of a 10mm spanner to detach the heat exchanger from its fixings. By this time it was very nearly time for tea. So we exchanged goodbyes and I nipped off.

Sunday morning and a valeting friend was calling in to give dads BM a full hit. However I'd had what alcoholics refer to as "a moment of clarity". The evening before, I was mentally chewing over what could be the matter with the old chap. It's at this point I remembered a conversation I'd had with someone when the VR threw an electrical wobbler. Try relay 18 (load relief) my head said.

Plundering the VRs fuse board (yet again) for the number 18 relay, I transfered it across. Squinting with anticipation I gingerly turned the key until the ABS light lit up. My breath held as the light briefly flickered and distinguished accordingly.

Success. The car all works once more. Ready to be thrust back into daily duty on Tuesday morning.

I wish they were all that easy.

Edited by James.

cheers for your help saturday james, shame about the 10mm but at least the dash (and arial!) are out.

strange how things work out.