quicky1980

Car trying to stall after filling up

It's happened twice now, first time I filled at Morrissons (i know, i know) and the car stalled about 1-2miles down the road. managed to get it started again but the car was very unresponsive and was trying to stall for a while after, managed to drop the clutch and rev it through and after driving for about 8miles it all cleared up.

I didnt think much of it as I thought it was due to dodgy fuel, now 300miles later i filled up again but this time with better ultima fuel. And it happened again except I managed to keep the engine alive (just) until it cleared itself again

Both times the ambient air was warm/hot and I may have left it to the last minute before filling up.

I'm hoping these issues are down to poor fuel and leaving the tank to get too low, but is there anything else i should check or be concerned of?

My thoughts are fuel pump and/or relay. anything else or am i just being overly corrado paranoid??

hey, just to clarify mate, i meant the small pump filter actually attached to the bottom of the in tank fuel pump at the pick up...not the fuel filter,,,mine was completely full of crap from the bottom of the tank

hmm, funny you say 'cus once you mentioned filter I was wondering if there was a second filter in the system. Ill check it out, is this part a piece to replace or just clean out?

Any idea why the issues happen after fill up, or do you think its just coincidence?

I've had this problem on mine and it turned out to be a kink in the plastic fuel line near the tank. I'll try and take a pic over the weekend but worth having a look. They're pretty well protected but there are some vulnerable points and I think they get less flexible with age.

Maybe the extra weight of a full tank makes the difference?

Ollie

my symptoms after doing alot of searching on here seem to point towards a faulty lift pump or even the blocked filter as mentioned.

The main pump under the car is noisy but I put this down to the engine conversion, its now possible that the lift pump has gone so will get it checked out.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

oh, and will check for kinked pipes

right, it doesnt look like its the lift pump, got a replacement pump from a mk2 golf 16v (GSF and VW couldnt find anything for a 2.0 16v corrado!) and tried it on the car and made no difference to the noise, so replaced the original one due to it fitting correctly and seemingly working ok.

I did take the time to clean the pre pump strainer, it was pretty dirty, not enough to cause issues though imo.

So any other ideas?

Where's the fuel tank breather on a Corrado ? Could it not be letting in enough air ? Is it in the cap ?

Just thinking aloud

Could be the regulator on the fuel rail. When the tank is full the fuel return isn't working so it basically floods the engine?

ill try and find out about the tank vent and how its checked.

ill look into the fuel regulator, but wouldnt the injectors just supply the required fuel and therefore not flood it?

If it's creating too much pressure in the rail it would let more fuel in when the injectors open. It's a long shot i know. Have you tried putting some cleaner in the fuel?

ill try and find out about the tank vent and how its checked.

ill look into the fuel regulator, but wouldnt the injectors just supply the required fuel and therefore not flood it?

Is this still only an issue when the tank is full or all the time now?

Tank vent is to the carbon canister mounted below the airbox, if you've taken it out and blocked up the tubes you want to make sure the clear one is still able to vent to atmosphere.

Strange as this has happened to me twice tonight once on th eway out and revved through it and once on the way back and wouldnt start, but had no money for fuel. I put it down to dodgy fuel as got the missus to bring out some ultima in a can and if happen almost immediately after starting to drive but never happened again on way home. Gonna tank it tomorrow and see if anything happens again. will report back as mine was on a quarter of a tank at the time.