Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Was, Schrick VGI GB, now show us yours!

The ONLY reason I am buying one is because it's £1080 including VAT, and not £1500 PLUS VAT!

do you want to buy my old ipaq then....do you a special price... £1000 instead of £1500 ....bargin :mrgreen:

back on topic....

i would love nothing more than to reach far into my pockets and buy one as, that is a massive saving..group buys usually only save 10% or so but this is well over 33% (lucazade addvert flash backs :? )

its just that is a GRAND...quite alot really if you werent expecting to spend that much in rainy old february :(

Stick it on the mortgage or credit card! they sell for £800 second hand on ebay anyway so if you get skint just sell it on.

you can sell yor old 2.9 manifold to some american for a good price too don't forget.

i wish i had the dosh to do this mod. sounds like just what my VR needs, but sadly, its not something i can afford either. Really look forward to seeing how everyone who IS getting one gets on after they have fitted it. Good luck with the mod guys.

Stick it on the mortgage or credit card! they sell for £800 second hand on ebay anyway so if you get skint just sell it on.

you can sell yor old 2.9 manifold to some american for a good price too don't forget.

Problem with doing that is that you can't then put it back on if (when) you sell the Schrick seperately...

Spoke to Vince earlier and the deadline has been extended a week. He also said you can have the manifold plain or with 'Schrick' on it. You don't have to be part of the group buy. He doesn't care where the names come from, just so long as the numbers are reached, which they are.

I was thinking of perhaps having the manifold with 'Shrek' on it, or perhaps 'Prick', I dunno...so many options :-)

K

So whats the deadline, 17th? Then 3 weeks for delivery I think I read.

Sounds about right.

Shouldn't worry about it too much. If you want one, just ring Vince.

I really can't believe Schrick's discount for 20+ is £6 off the £1080. I reckon at £1080 they're too close to their profit margins to go down any more.

You're kidding, right? You think it costs nearly a grand to cast an inlet manifold? No chance. The parts probably cost £200 to make, all in, plus some cost to repay the r+d they put in originally (or the licensing costs or whatever). The rest is pure profit, I'm sure.

My shock absorbers - case in point. RRP of a front shock for a Corrado VR6 from VW? £54. Manufacturing cost? £17.50.

They make huge profits on all these parts, all the time. The manufacturer rarely sees the majority of it though, the distributors take the biggest slice of the profits...

Hey, just noticed, apparently I'm a CF Nutter now.. :)

I think that means I need to get more of a life, or something?

This price of 1080 *is* inclusive of VAT then? (Says matt having a horrible thought!)

Hey, just noticed, apparently I'm a CF Nutter now.. :)

I think that means I need to get more of a life, or something?

Yup... welcome to the 1000+ post club... 8)

Matt, it's not an easy casting to produce. I've held one in my hand and it's a very intricate peice of metalwork. Ring VW and see how much they want for a standard set of castings.

The original VW/Pierburg VSR was abandoned due to manufacturing costs on the already escalating VR6 development costs, so hints at how expensive a bespoke item can be to design and produce. You have to sell 1000s of them to recoup the cost of the tooling.

Sure Schrick are going to have a reasonable profit margin but don't forget they are the ONLY producer and license holder of the VGI and therefore can keep prices artificially high due to the lack of competition.

Just goes back to the old supply and demand thing.....Schrick know full well they're sold on reputation, so it's a seller's market where that particular device is concerned.

I still maintain that in today's tuning market, £1000 is good value for a 20% torque increase lower down the range. Even Hoppa kits forn TDIs start at £350....for an inline chip!

And I'll close with this...... you get what you pay for and when it comes to tuning companies, quality doesn't come any better than Dr Schrick.

K

I'm seriously tempted, honest I am, and I'd bite his hands off if it was a VWM VSR.. Just because it's a lower-maintenance part (i.e. you can get to the 'plugs, and you don't have to mod the bonnet).

For those of us who are afraid of spanners it's the easier-life option, I think.

Of course, I can just get Vince to fit it.. But still.. I'm in two minds!

(I also have a feeling that the Schrick VGI is about to go down in value on the 2nd hand market, since there's a glut of ooo about 20 of them just about to be sold!)

I'm seriously tempted, honest I am, and I'd bite his hands off if it was a VWM VSR.. Just because it's a lower-maintenance part (i.e. you can get to the 'plugs, and you don't have to mod the bonnet).

For those of us who are afraid of spanners it's the easier-life option, I think.

Of course, I can just get Vince to fit it.. But still.. I'm in two minds!

(I also have a feeling that the Schrick VGI is about to go down in value on the 2nd hand market, since there's a glut of ooo about 20 of them just about to be sold!)

Fit it yourself and save the £100+VAT! It's really easy......and yes including novices!

We all agree that the VR is somewhat lacking low down, it behaves more like a 16V than a big capacity 2 valve per cylinder engine, therefore the Prick is the perfect solution.

If the Prick only liberated 10% torque, then it would be half the cost.....why do you think K&N filters only cost £40? Cause they do feck all......if they gave a proven 5bhp, they'd be triple the cost...maybe more.

As for removing the manifold to do the plugs, if you fit platinum ones, then it becomes a once every 30K job, which I'm sure the majority of us can live with.

Go on mate.....you'd kick yourself if Schrick announced a price hike after this group buy :-)

K

Easy fitting? Including modifying the bonnet?

I'll get 'me hammer! :)

I know I want it, Kev.. You don't need to explain the reason why I want it..

(With you on the K+N filters tho. Loud noise and no performance increase? No thanks!)

Fitting instructions (courtesy of the mailing list):

- remove three Spline bolts that hold on rhs plastic cover.

- remove spline bolts that hold on rear plastic cover

- now you can remove the manifold cover itself

- remove the plug leads from the plugs

- Remove all the allen bolts along the front,

which bolt the manifold to the inlet stubs.

these are real b@stards to get at - far worse on a VSR though.

- Remove airbox lid, and big thick induction pipe to throttle body.

(have to undo some pipes and clips, but none are water)

- undo the 4 allen bolts that hold throttle body to manifold

push the throttle body towards the bulkhead, out of the way

- remove petrol pipe, breather pipe, and electrical plug from front right of

manifold

- remove the two allen bolts that hold manifold to two brackets at the rear

of engine

That should be it (I think)

Now lift it up very carefully, and you should manage to remove it

without breaking or damaging the gaskets, if your lucky.

.. it all sounds dead easy apart from the removing of the petrol pipe bit!

Of course it's easy :-)

Mate, all you need is a good tool collection, positive attitude and basic mechanical awareness you'll breeze it.

K

Of course it's easy :-)

Mate, all you need is a good tool collection,

Ah.. I'll stop you right there.. :)

Actually, given that Vince is going to have to take the manifold off my car to do the timing chains, that would seem to be the ideal moment to get this swapped...

I want one too and I'll have a look at the timing chains/tensioners whilst it's in pieces. Is the wiring into the ecu easy and where's the best place to mount the vacuum tank? Do I just need a new inlet gasket and throttle body gasket from vw? Does it come with instructions and a guarantee from stealth or schrick?

F*ck it...

I'm IN

Joe

Another one bites the dust! :twisted:

I want one too and I'll have a look at the timing chains/tensioners whilst it's in pieces. Is the wiring into the ecu easy and where's the best place to mount the vacuum tank? Do I just need a new inlet gasket and throttle body gasket from vw? Does it come with instructions and a guarantee from stealth or schrick?

I'll get full instructions from Vince on the 13th when I'm there.

I'm not sure if the Shrek comes with replacement gaskets, so you may aswell get some from VW just in case, they're not expensive.

There will be a year's warranty from Schrick I would have thought but I'll check.

Those that are in....check your insurance imlications before hand!

K

Some more juicy info on the Shrick, from Club-Vr6-co.uk

"The effect of the manifold is immediately apparent – you won’t need any test equipment! A new urge is sensed almost right from the idle. There is markedly better acceleration up to 4,000rpm, followed by a strong surge to the redline. The switchover of the flap is almost undetectable from inside the car.

The new low to mid-range power is particularly useful in the higher gears. The 50-70 sprints in fourth is reduced by almost a second! Fuel consumption is also improved, as higher revs don’t need to be used as much."

Can't wait :-)

From the vr6golf forum..

When ordering your manifolds, please quote "VR6Golf.co.uk Shrick Manifold

Group Buy"