PeteL

Car Scrapping

Need a little advice...

My gf's is getting rid of her 1995 Peugeot 106, it's seriously on its last legs and the MOT expires next month, which we won't be renewing.

Would you recommend taking it to a scrapyard ourselves or to get one of those 'companies' that advertise in the local paper to come round and pick it up?

Basically we want to get the most we can for it, we would be happy to get £200-250 for it.

Cheers

I'd just call round and get some quotes but taking it yourself is obviously going to pay more... most places are giving at least £150 for anything at the moment so £200 should be achievable I would think

just scrapped off an old fiesta, they gave us £120 and they collected it. Prob could have got more but we needed to get rid quickly to clear space for the new car

Cheers guys, we are just hoping as MOT has almost expired we can stilll get a reasonable sum for it.

Could be worth a try, although there is a fee, and current CAP average on the car is only £170.

i got 50 quid for a seat leon rollin shell but so probably only get about 150 because its light! probably get a bit more if you drive it there yourself.

See if that well known company really does buy any car?

They'll buy it alright, if you don't mind accepting a tenner for it Pete!

They offered me £50 for the audi I sold for £700+....t0ssers!

a 106 would weigh somewere between 860-980 kilos depending on model. at the moment we (the company i work for) are paying £150 (this can change regular) per tonne so you would get roughly £129-£147. this is if you take it in yourself. take your full log book

there are lots of people out there who will come and take the car off you and give you some cash, how much would depend on them so its worth ringing a few. scrapyards may come and collect it to

so you need to weigh up whats best for you? is the hassle of taking it in i.e. time and effort, worth it against someone coming and collecting it and paying you less for it.

if you take it in your self then you know its getting scrapped and you will get a Certificate Of Destruction or "COD" which is your proof its been scrapped. if some one comes and collects it theres always a chance that this might not happen but if you get the yellow part of the V5 stamped/filled out then your covered and you should be ok, i would make sure i got all the details of the person collecting it, waste carriers licence number would prob be the best details to get of them as this has to registered with the EA.

that any help

Edited by SIMONG

Great help to all thanks.

I'll phone around but looks like taking it down the scrapyard ourselves.

Cheers

Southampton Council take cars away for free, at least they did when I was living there.

I've never heard of anyone taking your car and giving more than £100! I scrapped a top of the line Volvo V40 with Cruise Control, ABS, CD player, full leather interior and still only got about £100 for it.

I had to pay a scrapyard to come and take my Cavalier away.... and it was the highly desirable 2.0 GLi with tan velour seats :D

Southampton Council take cars away for free, at least they did when I was living there.

I've never heard of anyone taking your car and giving more than £100! I scrapped a top of the line Volvo V40 with Cruise Control, ABS, CD player, full leather interior and still only got about £100 for it.

Mate - metal is worth loads at the moment - cars are worth £100 absolute minimum - I weighed in a pair of brake discs and 4 shocks and got £20 a few weeks ago.