Portent

Storm grey VR6 - A little update

Your car is gorgeous, love that colour, was looking at a grey one before we settled on the Bordeaux.

Looks lovely though.

​Tom

Hope you don't mind, but I'm looking to model my storm grey vr6 to look exactly like yours;-) Very nice:-) any more pics going spare?!

It's a beaut! I have this poor quality pic of it, makes me want a black front badge!

49d7b01d3e1cbcc4f5e56d25cc7d0a45_zpsd1f70c77.jpg

Hope you don't mind, but I'm looking to model my storm grey vr6 to look exactly like yours;-) Very nice:-) any more pics going spare?!

What what a nice surprise to find someone asking about the car :) I will upload some in a day or two when I can get on my PC (currently on my tablet). Honestly it's not the quality close up that I would like but happy to share some more pics.

You not selling up yet....? ;-)

Not yet. I came quite close but I can't quite bring myself to do it. I guess I went through a period of not quite feeling it for the car as we as we all do occasionally. But as I can just leave it in the garage it's not a big deal and it still gives me a little thrill every time I park the golf and see it.

Funnily enough I charged the battery today as I need a second car tomorrow. My wife needs the golf to take my daughter to a friend party and I need to take my son to a test day for a new school we want to get him into. Knowing the area all the other parents will turn up in 4x4 range rovers and I'll rock up in a 19 year old VW Coupe. But money can't buy taste :). After charging the battery it started on the button and sitting in it reminded me why I bought it. It's not going anywhere yet even if it just sits in the garage for now :)

What what a nice surprise to find someone asking about the car :) I will upload some in a day or two when I can get on my PC (currently on my tablet). Honestly it's not the quality close up that I would like but happy to share some more pics.

Not yet. I came quite close but I can't quite bring myself to do it. I guess I went through a period of not quite feeling it for the car as we as we all do occasionally. But as I can just leave it in the garage it's not a big deal and it still gives me a little thrill every time I park the golf and see it.

Funnily enough I charged the battery today as I need a second car tomorrow. My wife needs the golf to take my daughter to a friend party and I need to take my son to a test day for a new school we want to get him into. Knowing the area all the other parents will turn up in 4x4 range rovers and I'll rock up in a 19 year old VW Coupe. But money can't buy taste :). After charging the battery it started on the button and sitting in it reminded me why I bought it. It's not going anywhere yet even if it just sits in the garage for now :)

Well it looks quality from where im sitting:-) Looking forward to some more pics.

And i know what you mean about the taste thing, i feel i could drive the corrado anywhere, definatly a timeless shape and hopefully plan to keep mine forever now for what they are worth these days! Ps, are those 16" split RX2's? the ch's are nice but i think 17" is too big on the corrado.

Yes they are split RX2 16".

A few pics. I'm not great at taking them though so just sitting in the road.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76961[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76964[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76965[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76966[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76967[/ATTACH]

Ah thanks portent, I will pass these pics onto my sprayer and tell to hand me your car back;-)

Looks lovely

I pop in now and again, as my brother's got a dark blue 16v (problems with roof condensation building at the mo above roof liner). Love the grey btw. My fave colour - just had to comment.

looking very very nice Andy.

Fancy selling?????

Looks great bud. The RX's suit well.

Edit: Haha, I was thinking of asking if you'd want to sell then I saw Karl's post!

Really appreciate the comments. Thank you :)

Selling? Not currently but if I ever do then I would certainly prefer it to go to a forum member :)

Wow I can't believe I last posted an update in 2015. Well I still have the car and it's running well. I haven't had much time to go to any meets in the last few years. Last May my Corrado unexpectedly became my daily driver after my Golf GTI had an engine failure. After several months of trying to disgnose it I sold the Golf and haven't yet decided what car to replace it with. I try to use the Corrado sparingly but it's amazing how practical the car actually is. I can fit four in the car quite comfortably.

I've had a few things fixed recently such as a stuck brake bleed nipple. The garage I use reversed it into a post after the MOT so they had the whole rear bumper repaired and painted. I also had a scare a few months ago; while driving in the rain at 60mph on a single carriageway national speed limit road the drivers side wiper arm sheared off and disappeared, leaving me with no visibility. I managed to steer to safety and wait for the rain to pass. I was a few hours from home but luckily I had a Lupo or TT wiper conversion in my box of spares. So I fitted those. I need new blades on them and I'm not sure whether they are TT or Lupo arms so I need to work that out :)

Today I did replaced the ignition lock barrel after it seized a couple of times and only worked after a about 10 mins of jiggling it. So I bit the bullet and replaced it today. That was a time consuming and fiddly job but it's done now. The article on the Corrado wiki doesn't work for the VR6 because the lock barrel isn't held in with a screw. To get it out you have to drill into the metal barrel housing and depress a small latch. Then slide it out forward.

1) Remove seat (undo 10mm nut at front and slide back).

2) Place cushions or wads of blankets over the central rail so you don't hurt your back when laying on it.

3) Remove driver side under trays (many screws).

4) Remove bottom steering column cover. (three screws).

5) Put steering wheel in lowest setting and then undo steering wheel height adjustment lever (10mm nut underneath).

6) Remove top steering wheel cover (it should now just pull out, which is why you have to undo the height adjustment lever first).

7) On a VR6, and I assume all later models, the ignition barrel is inside a metal sleeve. If you look at the new replacement barrel you will see a black latch in the middle. This pushes in and springs back again. You have to measure where this is on the new barrel and then mark its approximate location on the barrel sleeve. It will be at about 10 o'clock and approximately an inch / 2.5cm in, but measure it yourself. Drill a small hole in the barrel sleeve where the latch should be. Then push the latch down by using a small pick in the hole you just drilled. Obviously just drill a small hole. You should also protect the hazard button on the steering wheel because the drill collar may damage it when drilling.

9) With the latch depressed, put the keys in the ignition and use them to pull the barrel out. It will only come out if you have managed to push the latch down.

10) Clean out any swarf from the drill and then push in the new barrel. It was quite a tight fit so I had to push it in firmly,

I also disconnected the electrical plugs underneath as a precaution but it's probably not essential. It does take a few hours and is quite fiddly. But it's a lot cheaper than asking a garage to do it for you.

In answer to the above question I still have the GTI Engineering steering wheel in the garage.

I really must now decide what car to replace the Golf with. I very nearly bought a new S3 but at the last minute decided not to spend so much money. I recently considered a mk4 or mk5 R32 but petrol costs are quite high and I already have a V6 :dance:. I'm considering a cheap Mini because my daughter will be driving in a couple of years and can then have it. But I'm also considering a mk1 TT Quattro Sport 240. Frankly I can't decide what to buy :shrug:

Edited by Portent

Good work!

If you've got children and ever want to fit them in the back, don't get a Mini!

I've had a few as hire cars and actually really rate them for driving, but I'd never had passengers in the back. I was looking for a new car in December so actually looked at the Mini, but I actually looked at it practically this time. I'm only 5.10" and there was absolutely no way even my young kids could get in the back with me driving. The seat was almost all the way back and about 4 inches from the rear bench, so unless you get a 5 door Clubman (even the 3 doors are atrocious for rear legroom) then look elsewhere. Incidentally, I bought a crap French car in the end (2015 Pug 308), and since about the second week of driving it, I've regretted my decision!

Thanks for the Mini feedback. Funny enough my wife suggested something like a Peugeot. I shall avoid one!