liamtg60

Which engine conversion???

Dont want to start a war on here lol but what engine conversion would you say was the best?

Easiest to mod?

1.8 16v - ??

Its something im planning in the very near future, becos I think my current 1.8 16v is about to fall out of my car and I just want more power!

Ideally turbo conversion!

Im toying with both agu and 2.0 16vt route while im saving the pennies!

Its going to be a daily driver so nothing too radical...

having read through alot of the threads on here possible applications have there ups and downs

I'm about to do an AGU conversion on a 16V for the exact same reason. Its totally not worth building up a 16VT for a DD when 1.8Ts are so cheap.

1.9TDI

1.8T

2.8 24v

ideally a VR6 subframe is needed although it can be done without on the 1.9 and 1.8T, it's worth mentionning that it's a lot cheaper to buy a car already converted than do it yourself though,

also, a 1.8 16v is probably not the best base to start with either, both mechanicals and electrics of later cars can be a better match for alternative engines and looms etc.

The 16V as a donor is six v half a dozen. Yeah its not mechanically or electrically as good as later cars, but it is a balance of the crappiest engine that you don't mind ripping out and the least valuable model to defile with an engine swap ;)

IMO its easier to change the few things on an early car to suit a swap than it is to justify the extra cost of using a later one, especially if you already have the car :cat:

I always thought that the 1.8 16v was the best to fit a 1.8T to? Supposed to be a little more straightforward with the wiring etc.

the cost of 20vt engine would be same cost to do 16vt....just harder to source parts...no point in doing a VR6 conversion as you can buy the car ...

from a personl view ive been in and driven a 20vt mk2 golf running 300bhp and it was insane...so id imagine rado be just as good slightly slower due to weight...ive also been in a 1800 kr 16v turbo technics car running 220bhp and that was also seriously rapid ...but much more reliable...and the VR6 as we all know is epic for its exhaust note and has 190bhp out the box....and again very solid engine...if it was me id go for 16v turbo keep it looking oem under hood...but choice is yours ....or throw spanner in the works why not go nuts and build the god of them all 16v g60....they are bonkers ...in standard form 220bhp ...get it chiped and pulley and some other work will see you 250 easy and reliable...if done with right charger

r36, twin turbo and NOS.

silly question really, if your asking for easiest then I'd say re-fit a new 1.8 16v or go for the 2.0 16v, if you want a little more power for little work try the 1.8t. if you want power then w8! lol

Why not just rebuild your current engine? Im sure a rebuilt 1.8 16v doesnt cost muct, surely less than a different engine swap!?

agree a full rebuid on kr 16v engine ..and if you want a bit more power....then stick it on some throttle bodies with full stainless 4 branch and system ...or another 16v either a 9A or ABF run on k-jet...but again if your going to spend kind of cash you would on conversion get full rebuild on these engines as well for peace of mind...

If you do go 1.8t then give the agu a miss. Pretty much the worst 1.8t they built, bad on fuel and internal strength isnt great for mods. Bam is the one people go nuts for.

Depending on your budget the 2.0t's are starting to show there face now. Would be serioulsy quick and a pretty rare machine.

I'm doing a TFSI conversion but def wouldn't recommend it if you want a straight forward swap. :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with the above and go 20VT, cheaper and lots of scope for big bhp if you spend the pennies. :thumbleft:

I would go 20vt as its supposed to have the best bang for your buck!Personal preference!

Edited by dannyboy

How about buying my 265bhp standard 2.0 S3 TFSI conversion. Only covered a ridiculous 1200 miles and looks like it's just come out the factory.

Can provide the, clocks, ECU, whole car loom, engine looms still attached to the engine, engines complete with everything even the flywheel, turbo, manifold etc. Ohh and a Mk2 golf if needed, lol!!

Stick a remap on it and nothing else and you'll see 300bhp and be mega reliable :)

Thinking about selling it as circumstances seriously changed :(

How much are you looking for all that chap?

Shame you can't see it through as that would have been quite a conversion!!

How about buying my 265bhp standard 2.0 S3 TFSI conversion. Only covered a ridiculous 1200 miles and looks like it's just come out the factory.

Can provide the, clocks, ECU, whole car loom, engine looms still attached to the engine, engines complete with everything even the flywheel, turbo, manifold etc. Ohh and a Mk2 golf if needed, lol!!

Stick a remap on it and nothing else and you'll see 300bhp and be mega reliable :)

Thinking about selling it as circumstances seriously changed :(

engine mounts concern me on a tfsi conversion dont know if i cud produce them myself and someone would have my eyes out making them for me. sounds a nice etup tho. how much were you after for everything?

I don't know as i don't really want to sell :shrug:

Offers i guess.

Liamtg60 - Yep the mounts and wiring will be the trickiest bits but TSR have done the conversion with a 200bhp TFSI lump and they said they could do it no probs. They said mounting it is not a biggy for them.

The only two other bits will be custom making a downpipe and the wiring but again this is stuff they can do.

Storm have done a couple now so if they are closer to anyone i'd give them a shout.

I have most of the stuff, both complete fuse boxes, ecu, clocks (although i wasn't going to use these) Whole engine loom still on engine, whole car loom,

If your a bit handy with the wiring and can make ya own mounts then there's not much else you'd need.

The Golf was on the road and running before i took out the old G60 lump and ats cups, coilovers, g60 interior from rado with split rears. Still in MOT but no TAX

If someone just wants the engine and bits then thats not a prob as i'll stick a gti lump back in it for peanuts and sell it separately.

qpeng r the boys for wiring i wud of thought they got the tfsi wire loom in production already. i think im gona go for 1.8t i got a half seized audi a3 1.8t lump good start eh.... ha