Co-Pang-Yang

Might break it but need advise

Hi all.

Well the more I look into getting the Rado put on the road the more I realise it could be quite a task. Could probably throw everything together for an MOT but tbh I wouldn't be happy with that at all. However to put it on the road looking good i'm talking re-spray, suspension re-placement and no doubt new bushes, various interior plastic repaired/replaced, etc.

Problem is I bought it with the entention of it being something that I could put on the road with little effort and enjoy for the summer then probably sell on as I have other projects. But now its looking like its gonna take too much time and money to get up to the standards that I'd want it to be. Too many toys, not enough time. :rolleyes:

Thing is I have the space to break it so thats fine but I'm not really sure what its worth in parts and I don't want to be chucking away valuable items incase they are of use to people.

Here's a run down of what the car has:

Full black leather seats and door cards, not heated or electric but in really good nick, no tears. Gonna give it a clean and Supaguard to double check

Grey dash

Dials reading 72K

Working electric windows and mirrors

Working boot spoiler

Bodywork is rust free but does have scuffs/bad re-spray in places

15" wheels with good tires

Standard (as far as I can tell) VR6 running gear

VR6 gearbox, no knocks of bangs (actually have two)

Rear lights complete

Passenger headlight with damage to rear mount

Drivers headlight lens (plastic mounts damaged)

All glass

Standard exhaust

Grey carpets

VR6 engine, descovered headgasket had blown after I had bought it. Have had the head checked, cleaned and skimmed along with new valve guides and had the valves re-cut. Plus ordered a new gasket set and head bolts and my plan is to put the engine back together and get it running.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head and here are some pictures:

Outside1.jpg

Leather.jpg

Dash.jpg

Dizzy1.jpg

Bonnet.jpg

Would much rather put it on the road but the more I think about it the more I fear its just too much for me to take on right now.

Any help on pricing would be greatly appricated.

Cheers Chris.

a respray would be the greatest cost, but have a look at peoples galleries to see what results thay have achieved with a proper machine polish; you may be pleasantly surprised...

I would never ever advise breaking a corrado, such a shame. I would seriously advise giving it a right good clean/machine polish, its amazing what a difference it makes and may change your mind of what you want to do. When I was rebuilding mine I kept looking at it thinking is it worth it, but once its clean and shining it just looks amazing.

If your wanting to sell it anyway then why not rebuild it, and run it through summer anyway? It doesn't sound like you want it as a project so just enjoy the drive, and you will!!!

As already mentioned a damn good machine polish will probably bring it up lovely as long as the lacquer is intact.

Very early VR6 model as the interior is pre-facelift (linear not rotary heater controls etc) and the current leather is not what it would have the dealership with.

As you are going to the effort of getting the engine running then it must be worth using it for a while and then selling a complete running car, plenty of folks on the hunt for an honest, straight original car these days.

As already mentioned a damn good machine polish will probably bring it up lovely as long as the lacquer is intact.

Very early VR6 model as the interior is pre-facelift (linear not rotary heater controls etc) and the current leather is not what it would have the dealership with.

As you are going to the effort of getting the engine running then it must be worth using it for a while and then selling a complete running car, plenty of folks on the hunt for an honest, straight original car these days.

its a conversion rather than an early VR6 IIRC Yan(number plate on bumper shows it as H-plate too),so might put some people off,it might not even be a ABV lump

Was just about to say that david, those clocks look like late spec with early interior, did they ever do that?

Definitely a conversion. H reg. Pre-facelift bonnet and wings. All the early VR6 had late bodywork even if the interior was pre-facelift.

I can't advocate breaking the car. But I'll be honest; I doubt you'd get your money back if you spent a lot getting it back to a decent condition. Maybe get it back ready for the MOT, drive it a few months to get the benefit and then see how you feel nearer winter. You can still break it at that point if you still want to (assuming you have somewhere warm and dry to do it).

i'm gonna go against the grain and say break it.. there's a lot of work to do and at the end of it it'll still just be a converted car with bad paint - value? £1000-£1500 max?

Broken it'll be worth over £2k and probably take the same effort to strip and sell as it does to get it back on the road.

Sorry, yes to be clear this was originally a 16v thats had a VR6 conversation. I'm assuming they've used a complete doner vehicle as it has 5 stud and larger brakes.

Can see this being another thing to go against its value.

i'm gonna go against the grain and say break it.. there's a lot of work to do and at the end of it it'll still just be a converted car with bad paint - value? £1000-£1500 max?

Broken it'll be worth over £2k and probably take the same effort to strip and sell as it does to get it back on the road.

This was my thought aswell, assumed complete it wouldn't be worth a great deal.

Tbh I've no issues with breaking rare cars as it means the parts are being used to keep nicer cars on the road.

Gonna put the engine back together and get it running and then decide. Would rather sell parts on here than chuck it on ebay though.