Stella

Where do i start?

I'm going to look/buy this one tomorrow, it is the most beautiful car so I hope it does all it says Check it out on ebay item no. 280706225547

If i do buy it I will never sell it, will buy a bigger shed!!

Hey

Cool noone buy this i want it!!!

Will replece interior one day hehe x

It sounds like you've getting quite excited and haven't seen it yet. Please don't let your heart rule your head before you see it and do some more checks. I don't know this car but from what has been said it might be a cat C or D. There is nothing inherently wrong with it being such (if repaired correctly) but it does affect the cars value and if it is true then it would make me question the integrity of any seller that doesn't declare it. I strongly suggest you do a check this. Even if you can't do it in advance (there's no registration number on the pictures or the advert and the usual "Get The Vehicle Status Report" link isn't there either) then you can do it from your phone at the dealers:

http://www.textcarcheck.co.uk/

Simply text CTC or BIKE then a space then the registration number to 83600 and get an instant Car Text Check texted to your mobile phone in seconds for only £3 plus standard network charge.

I don't have anything against TCS per-se. But buying from them is not much safer than buying privately. I agree a dealer warranty is useful if you're buying a newer car but this car is around 15 or 16 years old. I doubt the warranty will be very comprehensive.

Also let's look at the facts:

1) It might be a cat C/D as mentioned by others on this forum and no mention is made of that in the advert. If that does turn out to be the case then is the dealer deliberately hiding it? If he is then would you trust him on everything else about the car?

2) The dealer is asking £100 for a 3 month warranty. By law a dealer must warrant the car anyway. Trying to charge £100 for what you are legally entitled to is shady in my personal opinion. So do ask what the difference is between the £100 warranty and what they are legally obliged to offer for free.

I think the car looks lovely. It seems a really nice rare colour although it is green rather than the grey you were looking for (grey is quite rare so I wouldn't suggest you specifically wait for one though). However the possible cat C/D and the dealers attitude over the warranty would put me off.

If you do view the car, and someone checks it with you such as KDVR6, then by all means try to strike a deal on it. But please buy with your eyes open and don't buy it just because you have fallen in love with it at a distance. While Corrado's are rarer than other cars, another will certainly be along later.

Stay well clear of TCS, the guy is dodgy. I would suggest looking at a few different cars before jumping in and buying one, Are there any up for sale on here?

Cheers

Scott

Assuming you're after a 16v rather than a G60 (which can be had for not much more money) then how about this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201130405771309/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/corrado/make/volkswagen/page/2/postcode/kt100px/quicksearch/true/radius/1501?logcode=p

I hate the wheels but they can be changed easily. It's very low mileage (54k) and white is a desirable colour in any car (not personally mad on white but most people love white). It's only 7 miles from me so I'd happily do a pre-viewing for you. I'm absolutely not a mechanic so couldn't guarantee I'd spot anything but I would be able to give an opinion on whether it feels right or not and go over the usual checks.

It's another dealer and slightly higher price than the other car but it might be worth it.

I woudn't get to hung up on colour. There are only around 3.5k cars left so I'd suggest having a number of colours in consideration and then find the best car you can afford when one of them comes up.

EDIT: I could only view it at weekends as work is silly busy right now.

Edited by Portent

Im sure someone else was looking at this car before and there is a thread about it,can`t seem to find it though

That would be me. I didn't look at it in the end, after all the feedback I got about the guy who runs tcs, I took someone else's advice and bought from someone on the forum.

So, I advise the same. Buy from someone here, fellow enthusiasts that will have loved their C and will be honest with you.

This one is now my third, but the best purchase by far.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Hey all

I have had the car Hpi checked and it came back with no issues!!

Strange!!

What is the legal requirement on warranty?

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Hey Karl

I live in Sutton too, would you the car out with me?

Stella

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I can't afford the white one right now but it does look good!!

Thankyou tho x

I've just looked further into the warranty situation and contrary to my previous understanding they don't have to offer a warranty as such. However it must be:

• of satisfactory quality, eg the windscreen should not be chipped
  • fit for purpose, eg if you ask for a car that can tow a caravan it should be able to
  • as described, eg the car should match its description given in conversation or in an advert

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Buyingacar-yourconsumerrights/DG_183047

If it has come back ok on the vehicle check then it might just be a different car to the one that's been mentioned before.

Could be, my friend said it has had 7 owners and been on a private plate but thats wouldn't affect the HPI check, I called the RAC and they said thier HPI is not as thorough as a normal HPI check??

An HPI check does usually work even if they have changed the plate. I think I used these people:

http://www.hpicheck.com/

If I recall, it told me if there had been any number plate changes and then gave me the chance to check the chassis number as well as the registration.

Did you see the car in the end or yet to see it?

Ah Interesting, I know when another member mentioned about this car from a few years back that it was based near the lake district it seemed that it had to be the same car (this one) but it may well not be the case.

Still big money though really, how about an 8v? they are super cars to drive and very torquey bottom end!

I have an 8v and a 1.8 16v and a VR6 and the difference between the valvers isn't that huge if i'm honest and the 8v pulls better at low revs too...

Good luck with the viewing then!

I don't know the cambelt interval but 6 years sounds a little long. So it might be worth budgeting in change. They need changing after a certain number of years regardless of the mileage covered since the last change.

EDIT: Does anymore more knowledgable than me know what the interval is?

Edited by Portent

Haha no, I know a VW when i see one even if i was 15, it looked like a brown colour but i'm thinking it was the metalic pearl khaki colour as it looks green/brown/ grey in different lights

I have been to see the car and it does look amazing, the bloke from TCS (Rich) said they boughti it june, tarted it up and just passing it on. He has sprayed some ****e inside to make it shiny, can that be removed as it looks toss!!, the car has a mountain of paper work which me and my friend sat and read through each bit. The car is twenty years old so I do expect to have to spend money on its up keep so I BOUGHT IT!!!! might have been a foolish mistake but I want it and at the end of the day I dont think i will loose money on it. It is booked in tomorrow for a cambelt and full service so i'll soon find out if it is a shed.

Hey

The car has now been serviced with new cam belt fitted, YAY!!

The car has the following issues:

The car needs new wheel bearings in both back wheels, is it a cassette????????- How much should this cost?

There seems to be also be a leak so having the oil filter housing changed - how much?

A new exhaust mount is required too

Stella

Yeah not too bad only ever use genuine vw rear bearings though! they cost a bit more but last 10 times longer than cheapo's :)

New hose fitted by Karl, God bless you, new engine mounts fitted today so tomorrow I driving my lush car :)