trigger83

re map results?

hey hey every1,just got my self a new exhaust and thinkin of getting a re map now ive got zorst and induction kit. can anyone recommend any1 in the south,and what kind of results are people getting from re maps?

i beleive one of the best places is d.g autotech. think they are in worcestershire?. regards rob

Not sure what the remapping situation is at DG anymore, as Dave has left. Think Graham will do the Revo stuff, but not the live mapping...

tis 93 vr6. im based in bournemouth,some1 said regal in southampton do it but have heard mixed reviews of there service.

As it's a VR, I'd drop CrazyDave a PM. His map is far superior to any other map for the normally aspirated VR IMHO.

You won't see any gains from the exhaust and filter. A remap will just remove a few compromises of the factory map and there is only one place I would take any VW for mapping, and that's Stealth Racing. No one in the UK has as much mapping experience as Vince does in this industry sector.

Nope. Getting more air into the engine (+ fuel obviously) is the only way to increase power. A remap doesn't do that.

For ways of getting more air into the engine, have a look at my Avatar :D

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I have an AMD map on mine. No more outright power as mentioned, but the curve is better so the car feels much quicker on standard exhaust than my old vr6 which had a milltek and induction kit.

Haven't you got a schrick on there as well mate? thought you had when we went up to the scirocco meet?

hey mate,yeah forgot 2mention the manifold,it is a schrick, just got new jetex cat back,think i had the bmc cda on when u saw it aswell. hows urs?

Any rough idea what BHP I could expect on mine? It hasn't been rolling roaded since the map was done by the previous owner; D&G 264 cams, Milltek exhaust, D&G map.

And if I were to put a Schrick manifold on there then would it make much BHP difference?

Admittedly I do have Schimmel cams in my VR, but the DG remap totally changed the character of the car with lots more bottom end grunt. As Cazza has said, not sure on what the situation is with VR maps any more - whether Graham can still sell / do them for folks or whether Dave can sell them seperately to you, but as a very satisfied customer I'd highly reccommend his map!

Not sure what the remapping situation is at DG anymore, as Dave has left. Think Graham will do the Revo stuff, but not the live mapping...

Dammit. The second i start looking at it it ends. Wondered why it disappeared off the website and why they never replied to my email :(

And if I were to put a Schrick manifold on there then would it make much BHP difference?

Nope.

The sole purpose of the Schrick is to move the torque curve 1000rpm further down. Outright power comes from revs, so with your cams and knocking the rev limit up a bit, you could see around 220hp, with a much fatter bottom end than a standard VR6.

The "Big 3" (Cams, schrick, throttle body) + 3.68 Final drive + Quaife + ARBs + Suspension = As good as a VR6 gets without forced induction or an engine transplant.

That lot gives you a car that's so different and so much better than stock it's unbelievable. The shorter gearing is the best mod. The car really comes alive. The stock gearing is without doubt the biggest noose around the VR6's neck. Feels like it's towing a caravan.

Thanks. Mmmmmm, want some :D

Now... Recaros or Schrick. Decisions, decisions :)

Nope.

The sole purpose of the Schrick is to move the torque curve 1000rpm further down. Outright power comes from revs, so with your cams and knocking the rev limit up a bit, you could see around 220hp, with a much fatter bottom end than a standard VR6.

The "Big 3" (Cams, schrick, throttle body) + 3.68 Final drive + Quaife + ARBs + Suspension = As good as a VR6 gets without forced induction or an engine transplant.

That lot gives you a car that's so different and so much better than stock it's unbelievable. The shorter gearing is the best mod. The car really comes alive. The stock gearing is without doubt the biggest noose around the VR6's neck. Feels like it's towing a caravan.

Hi Kev,

What if anything, does going to OBD2 do to the above statement? I think it helps slilghtly on the bottom end. Would there be an increase in power or doesn't it work like that?

The bottom end gains from OBD2 come from the more restrictive intake manifold and throttle body mate :D

In reality though, I didn't really notice much of a drop in top end pull, if at all, when I upgraded from OBD1.

The main benefit of OBD2 is superior idle control (never stalls *) and a MUCH better ECU, which gives better mapping potential and tells you considerably more in VAG-COM. Better (and cheaper) MAF and also lambda control too.

* needs to be qualified with a 'providing the TB isn't knackered' statement :D

I recently drove a vr6 with a gearbox from a later vr engine (not sure which one but I can find out) and I could not believe the difference it made, the thing was an animal, stock engine too. It really highlighted how much the gear box holds back the rado. If I had a vr6 the first thing I'd be doing is changing the box.

Have a look in the Gearbox thread and see if CTWG60 listed the gearbox codes for Corrado and Golf VR6s.

As far as I was aware, all VR6s shared the same ratios, but I suspect Sharans had lower gearing to help with the weight. This Golf Walesy mentions could have had a box swap at some point in it's life?

Walesy - Yes mate, it really does wake up a VR6. Quality mod :D

Agree with the g60 final drive. Really turns the VR6 Into something else.

Pretty sure the box was from a V5, it needed a couple of slight mods to fit but was well worth, it turned the vr6 into a completely different beast.

I'll check what box it was later and post up.