carter711

Re wiring headlights?

A while ago someone on here documented how they had rewired their headlights to give more power as the existing wiring went all around the houses meaning the output wasn't that bright.

I am keen to do this because amongst other reasons I checked the wiring on the back of the (late) headlight switch the other day and the brown wire had melted all of its insulation off for about 10cm going back from the switch! I don't know how I'm going to replace it without taking the dash out because access is rubbish!

So i'm thinking I could kill two birds with one stone here and just rewire the headlights.

If anyone has any advice on this or a link to the re wiring thread (I tried search a few times) I'd be interested!

Can anyone tell me if you can get the wires out of the back of the original headlight connectors. I stupidly cut the main beam wire too close to the original wiring when fitting my uprated loom, could do with lengthening it a bit.

Also what amp wire it is?

Thanks for the link! Looks a little more complicated than I remember :(

If anyone in the Surrey area understands the diagram and could fit it to my car I'd happily pay!

Can anyone tell me if you can get the wires out of the back of the original headlight connectors. I stupidly cut the main beam wire too close to the original wiring when fitting my uprated loom, could do with lengthening it a bit.

Also what amp wire it is?

I used 20 amp wire IIRC and you can indeed get the pins out of the headlight plugs with a pin extractor tool. An extractor tool kit like this would be a good investment for those looking to rewire parts of their loom - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4323-Universal-Terminal-Tool/dp/B002T4C6CA

New pins are readily available too.