Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

K&N or not ? (G reg 16v)

Alrite, i have been reading through some of the old posts with regards to fitting an aftermarket air filter/induction kit to the 1.8 16V - there seems to be mixed replies as to whether or not there is one available ??

My mate dosnt reckon there is an aftermarket induction kit available for the 1.8 16v but a couple of posts on here say there is

Anyone able to confirm ?

cheers,

C :D

Nothing available for the 1.8 16v i'm afraid.. best you can do is a replacement panel filter!

Speak to Cheesy.

He bought the Stroeve kit and said it was poorly made and when he closed his bonnet the damn thing dented it! :mad:

Best to fit a K&N panel filter and drill the airbox.

Instructions on this are on the Scottish Corrado Club webpage.

I drilled the airbox and put in a K&N filter yesterday, very easy to do and sounds awesome, feels more responsive too. I've not done the cold air feed yet, but i'd imagine that makes even more of a difference.

What is the part no for the K&N panel filters as when I tried to get one from Eurocarparts they said there was only one for the vr6 :/. I asked if the VR6 filter would fit my 2l 16v and got the usual heavy breathing followed by and "no".

and how much and where did you get yours from m8??

Hm... I knew that Stroeve did an induction kit for the 2.0 16v, but didn't think it was backwards compatible with the 1.8 16v..

Got my wires crossed again then! :|

Probably stick with a standard one then. the powerflow exhaust alone is loud when i want it to be !! :lol:

C

all air boxes are the same size on uk corrado`s!

the 1.8 16v as stocked in demon tweeks is the us automatic version ( as far as i can work out from my purchasing experiences! )

finally got my k&n panel in and it does make a noise difference...but as far as power....i dunno!??

havnt drilled the air box yet but i`m happy so far! :)

got mine from demon tweeks and it fit perfectly, ordered the 1.8 16v version from them and my cars UK spec manual transmission, maybe they've changed there stock since you delt with them benji.

How come you can get an induction kit for the mk2 1.8 16V golf then? or can U? :oops:

So overall the bast thing to do for a 16v is a drilled airbox and k&n panel air filter yeah?

thats definatly the general opinion from what i've read on here, dunno about the induction kit for the golf! seems a bit strange if there is one as they're (as far as i know!) the same engine. Theres probably some way you can fit an induction kit with loads of heatsheilding that would get you better results, but it'd cost loads and you might not gain much over the drilled box/K&N method.

So overall the bast thing to do for a 16v is a drilled airbox and k&n panel air filter yeah?

K&N yes, drilling no. But that's just my own preference based on swiss-cheesing my air box and regretting it almost instantly! LOL, the mistakes we make :lol:

yeah there have been a few horror stories about drilling, just drill the side closest to the wing and dont go OTT with the holes, makes a bit more noise but it gets more air in, which is good! I had to stop myself going crazy with them, you just get the 'more holes = goes better' idea stuck in your head, which isnt strictly true!

get the panel filter from German French Swedish...part no: 33-2032

Its £43.52 for the 16v 1.8.

hint: don't go crazy with the arbox cutting, i did...and the fuel goes FAST! you'll be getting about 15-17mpg! around town...throttle response isn't too good either, it just burbles.

Best thing to do is make tiny holes on the wing side of the car, about 5mm in diameter, not too many...then cut larger ones for a bigger noise. Just remember theres no going back and they cost about £20+ second hand.

Sanjay.

i did about 10 holes, 12mm diameter. It burbles nicely with the throttle fully open, and has a subtle growl the rest of the time. I've not noticed any change in MPG, nothing drastic anyway, but then my MFA's never shown accurate figures anyway!