lukeyy

Vr6 radiator fan stuck on full speed whilst driving!

Hey,

A new problem!! driving home from my girlfriends last night i could hear a whurring noise coming from the engine bay, this was around 25 miles of driving around 70mph, water temp and oil temp was fine, nothing alarming there. the whurring noise continued for the next 10 miles till i got home.

pulled up, popped the bonnet and the radiator was going full whack, turned off car and it stopped, clicked ignition on and it started at full speed again. :scratch: Any ideas?????

thankyou in advance.

luke

fan switch in the radiator? sits between the top and bottom hose on rad. OR it could be the control box that sits in front of the coolant header tank.

alright man, it was tonight it happened, not yesterday which i wrote before. couldn't really see what was going on cos its a bit dark out ther. lol. can you test the fan switch or repair it? i'll switch the car on in the morning before work see if its still gonna go ape on me. hahaha

Also if you have the 3rd temp sender on the thermo housing this can aslo be the cause. Try unplugging that to see if it stops the fans

hey, this morning went out turned on ignition and the fan came back on at full speed same as before. i had a play with the plugs on the thermo housing, unplugged blue and yellow individually, nothin happened, but unplugging black it turned off. what does this mean?

hey, this morning went out turned on ignition and the fan came back on at full speed same as before. i had a play with the plugs on the thermo housing, unplugged blue and yellow individually, nothin happened, but unplugging black it turned off. what does this mean?

It means either the black sender or the fan control unit are faulty. Start by replacing the Black sender.

How it all works is all in the "Definitive VR6 cooling thread". Fans / cooling and chains are the most discussed topics relating to the VR6.

Basically......

Theromstat switch in Radiator = Speed 1 and Speed 2.

Black Sender in thermostat = Speed 3

Yellow Sender = Fan & Booster pump run on. Pins 1 & 4. On at 100 deg, Off at 95 deg.

okay, cheers. i'll start by ordering up the black sender in the thermo housing, see if that works.

mine was doing the same , i replaced all three senders [ you know if you only replace one , one of the others will go a week later lol]. And the sender in the rad ,all is fine now .

problem was the black sender, changed this first and its sorted it right out. problem solveed.... till the next one. lol