beaky

Any ideas what could cause a pulsing idle?

After a blast around the local roads I parked up my Corrado vr6 and noticed the idle was pulsing from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm as if a ghost was pumping the throttle pedal. :shock: I switched the engine off and then on again but the same thing happened. So I let the engine cool down for 30 minutes and started her again and the idle was back down at approx 700rpm and not pulsing, all OK. Does anyone know what may have caused this?

:scratch:

Thanks

Either a slight air leak causing the idle valve to over compensate, or the idle valve itself is about to expire. You could try cleaning it out with WD40 before looking into replacement though. Sometimes works.

Mine does the same but normally when starting up from cold, so good question. Will look into your advice fishwick,thanks:thumbleft:

Crap!!!!!!! makes me wish i hadnt seen the thread now:bonk:

how would i know if its the idle valve or not??

Hi ya the idle valve should have a small pin like sensor in the end that follows the air flow it is extremely delicate but if its in place a good clean with wd40 is always worth a try you can pick up good second hand ones on here for £20 to £50...in honesty I wouldn't even give VW the joy of forking out that kind of money.

Bones

Edited by Vw.bones

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to locate the idle speed control valve, is it located under the back plastic engine cover?

Thanks

Hi ya although I have only had experience with a 2ltr valver and many golfs you should find it under the cover and it will have a easy electrical plug on one end and the other will go into the breather system...if you do a search on here you will find a few pictures around to give you an idea of what you are looking for literally unplug it gently and remove the breather tube no probs.

Bones

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Hi ya again just thought id let you know there is a new thread for a breaking VR6 rado grant motorsport and he has a idle up for sale for £20 just thinking out load incase yours is kaput.

Bones

Thanks Bones, while the bonnet was up I couldn't help but notice the soundproofing (in the bonnet) looks tired, is it still available?? Or is there a replacemnt item available??

Becko

Hi ya again the sound proofing from what I understand is available but also available from various other suppliers easy enough to google they tend to come in cut to fit kits I have done this on various golfs I have had really easy and satisfying job the kits are sticky backed very sticky and can be very heavy depending on your sound proofing choice.

Coolio Bones:cool: