Shaggy

VR6 Ticking noise

I am now at a bit of a loss as to what this noise is ??

I have changed Hydraulic lifters, Checked Chain tensioners, Oil & filter change, cleaned out oil pickup etc etc yet the ticking noise still remains and has done for 6 months??

My next thinking is oil pump, as the noise does seem to die down when the revs increase.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Engine has 150k on it, but the top end has been completely rebuilt 2 years ago, car runs great & delivers power very well indeed.

Sounds to me like the chain guide chattering, once under more load teh chain will be under more tension hence the noise reducing. You can also replace this with the mk4 upgrade.

just did a quick search and found the VW Vortex guide to changing the guides etc, the clip the guy shows has a sound almost identical to mine and it was the upper chain guide!!

Will whip the cover off tm and double check that, fingers crossed it could be that as you said ;-)

Edited by Shaggy

Checked all guides & tensioners again, all look new! Chain Is tensioned & new tappets look like they have plenty of oil.

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust mani has a crack in it...?? Could this be the culprit?

That noise is a cam/tappet noise and sounds like one of the hydraulic tappets is not fully pressurised..

Try a dose of engine cleaner like Comma Easi Engine Flush and run round with it in the oil. Wynn's won't work.

the crack wont be helping noise issues, i changed my exhaust on my vr6 a few months back to a milltek with decat pipe and straight away certain engine noises were gone, {in a good way btw}

That noise is a cam/tappet noise and sounds like one of the hydraulic tappets is not fully pressurised..

Try a dose of engine cleaner like Comma Easi Engine Flush and run round with it in the oil. Wynn's won't work.

Thats what I originally thought, hence why i decided to change lifters, but the problem still persists.

I have checked that oil is getting to each tappet, which is certainly seems to be as i thought it maybe starvation.

I am thinking now due to lack of use over the last 6 months & recent oil/filter change it really needs a good run, or atleast a long while to idle & settle, as ive heard sometimes the lifters will only settle after about 40 minutes idling or at about 2k revs.

If you want it really quiet, put Castrol Magnatec in it. But still think you have a tappet problem, if the tappets have been changed, then maybe one of the feed lines is not to good. Hence why I wrote above about Comma Easi Flush.

Checked all guides & tensioners again, all look new! Chain Is tensioned & new tappets look like they have plenty of oil.

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust mani has a crack in it...?? Could this be the culprit?

Occam's Razor: All things being equal, the most likely explanation must be the right one ;)

I.E. Chains and tensioners = Outruled. Oil level = Outruled.

Which leaves - Split manifold. And I know for a fact split manifold gaskets and / or manifolds do indeed tick. Most likely your tick subsides with revs because the heat closes the crack. A split gasket would tick with the rev increase too.

Duff tappets make more of a clatter than a tick.

P.S I haven't listened to the sound clip as I'm at work, but based on what you've said the mani is the likely suspect imo.

No not really....

I am starting to think it's a tired oil pump to be honest, its really quiet just above idle, say about 750 rpm.

I am gonna flush the oil at some point and try some thicker oil aswell to see if it shuts the tappet up (its only one).

I think the main reason the noise hasn't gone away is that I don't use the car at all! been sat on my drive for best part of 9 months whilst i mess with it, which don't think helps. once its on the road & running the noise may just go away...?? I just need to pull my finger out and get it MOT'd ;-)

Thicker oil won't shut a tappet up. Try Castrol Magnatec, only available in 10W40 now for the Corrado engines. If you are going to flush it thro' try adding Comma Easi Flush if you can get it. Drive around with it still in the old oil for 50 miles. Wynns is no good.

Either way i wouldn't want to drive round in a car with a crack in the manifold, if something is broke then you fix it, if then you still have this noise then at least you can rule that one out.

hi i have a very similar issue in fact I just made a post.

my vr has always had a little tappy/rattle from the engine, had timing chains, guides and a head rebuild but they are still there, its not much and dies down a after a while but is there a little, Any way someone just drove into the back of the car bent the rear axle and clearly shook the exhaust as it is is now blowing at the cat, however since this there is a much louder 'ding-a-tee-ding' noise, sounds like tappets but i'm not convinced, it is more audible if i listen over the manifold or the air-box side of the engine, it has been sat at the body shop for 4 weeks also. i was just thinking could there be a issue with the manifold that could exaggerate or be linked to the noise and saw this post. i will keep an eye on this, would a crack in a manifold or loss of pressure cause any potential damage to the engine if i run the car?

seems a big coincidence i'm sure we are on to something

nick

I've also heard that the oil pump drive shaft off the intermediate pulley on the timing chains can go clattery. My VR6 has a clatter/rattle that comes from the back of the block/head area and I'm assuming that's it. The clatter/rattle has remained identical through replacing the chains/guides, and the tappets (three times).

I though i replied to this but its not appeared? so apologies if two reply s pop up.

I have a very similar noise, seems louder to the left(airbox side) and back(manifold) of the engine. but is def in line with the tappets timing.

it has alway been there even after timing chains, guides, head rebuild, redone. does not seem to impair the running of the car. and is not so noisy that i deemed it a issue.

However the car was just hit in the rear, it bent the rear axle and the exhaust is now blowing from the CAT. Since this the engine noise is much worst and is more of a 'ding-a-tee-ding' noise than a tappety-tap noise more metallic in its sound. this would defiantly coincide with a poss crack or leak from the manifold. would a loss in pressurisation of the exhaust cause this noise, why would this cause the noise?, i can not quite get my head round that, but is does seem a coincidence with my car exhaust shook violently any the crack you mention and the same noise. i assume (although thats alway dangerous) i mush have a crack or such somewhere. it was my initial though though i did not know why.

i will keep you updated with my car.

I did have the chance to hear the chains chatter as people call it on my car a while back when the oil pressurised top chain tensioner malfunctioned (actually i screwed it in with out releasing the valve and burst the seal) and it does not sound like your issue, plus that clearly came from the chain cover.

The only other thing is my car has been sat at the garage for 4 weeks and always has issues when not run for a long while much like it owner. so poss a good run would help the issue.

i will update

Nick

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

dr mat's assessment sound extremely plausible also, i will check this.

Edited by nickeboy